PDA

View Full Version : Don't know if this has been posted, but they want everyone to register.

K2GSP
09-17-2017, 04:14 PM
http://blog.nw7us.us/post/165373967607/fcc-opens-6302200-meters-to-amateur-use-as-of

KC2UGV
09-17-2017, 04:48 PM
Registered.

KJ3N
09-17-2017, 05:40 PM
Nope.

None of my radios have those bands, and I have enough trouble working 160m.

Pass.

WZ7U
09-17-2017, 06:29 PM
Seems weird to me. Still on the fence about this one...

I know; unreasonable.

K7SGJ
09-17-2017, 06:34 PM

I know; unreasonable.

You could always use the fence for an antenna.

WZ7U
09-17-2017, 06:39 PM
True that

N8YX
09-18-2017, 10:49 AM
What exactly would be gained in terms of utility by operating on these bands?

WØTKX
09-18-2017, 10:07 PM
Well, as the website clearly states, signing up even if you are not going to use it helps those who are interested.

I'm interested, but I have plenty of other radio priorities. I do have radios that RX "down there", so...

I signed up.

WZ7U
09-18-2017, 11:10 PM

I know; unreasonable.

OK fine. I did it. Now the smart bombs have my coordinates. Great.

WA4GSD
09-19-2017, 06:07 AM
Nope.

None of my radios have those bands, and I have enough trouble working 160m.

Pass.

Agreed, I'm already in enough databases getting hacked... although what's one more?

KC2UGV
09-19-2017, 09:32 AM
What exactly would be gained in terms of utility by operating on these bands?

Well, these bands have chances of underwater reception, using proper xmitting antenna, as they are pretty durned close to VLF. Also, aerials are kinda out of the question, so earth ground antennas are viable.

So, new bands to experiment on?

PA5COR
09-19-2017, 11:28 AM
Serious real estate needing bands..160 is peanuts compared to that.

WØTKX
09-19-2017, 06:48 PM
Well, these bands have chances of underwater reception, using proper xmitting antenna, as they are pretty durned close to VLF. Also, aerials are kinda out of the question, so earth ground antennas are viable.

So, new bands to experiment on?

VLF packet. :icon_wink:

KC2UGV
09-19-2017, 07:02 PM
VLF packet. :icon_wink:

Really, really slow packet :)

I mean nuke subs kinda use it: 3 chars per minute to say "The US is still alive guys!"

n6hcm
09-19-2017, 10:36 PM
i plan to sign up (to help those who are interested) ... but i'd like to know more about the policies behind the database ...

W3WN
09-21-2017, 12:34 PM
i plan to sign up (to help those who are interested) ... but i'd like to know more about the policies behind the database ...
It's actually quite simple.

The utilities are a bit anal about us lowly ham types possibly interfering with their PLC communications on or adjacent to these frequencies... even though the odds of there actually being any (with our antenna and power restrictions) being somewhere between Slim and Nun. (BTW, Slim just left the building, with the Nun quickly following. Hmmmm.)

So if we each register, and indicate our intent to start using these frequencies starting 30 days after the date of registration... they have that long to post an objection on the grounds that we (each of us, that is) is too close to one of their PLC sites and could be a problem.

If they don't respond in 30 days, then we are free & clear to operate to our heart's content.

So there is nothing to lose by registering, even if you don't intend to use the bands now. You may change your mind in the future -- and by registering now, presuming no objections, you'll be free & clear to operate whenever you want in the future (starting at +31 days)

WØTKX
09-21-2017, 01:07 PM
^^^ This. Thank you.

WZ7U
09-21-2017, 02:10 PM
I checked out the news item over yonder about this issue and followed the simple directions Bonnie provides to locate said high tension lines in my area and wasn't too surprised at the results since I already knew where the lines are.

It was nice to be able to use the ruler feature on google earth to check actual distances and it turns out I am at worst case 1.7 km away from the nearest line. So, there's one more thing off the bucket list :clap: :spin: :dance:

n6hcm
09-22-2017, 12:59 AM
i understand all that. but it's hard to feel that this database will only be used for this purpose.

WZ7U
09-22-2017, 01:05 AM
i understand all that. but it's hard to feel that this database will only be used for this purpose.

Well, there is that too.... it was my first reaction as well. But then I said eff it...

W3WN
09-22-2017, 08:17 AM
What? You don't mean to suggest that we shouldn't trust that our friendly benevolent and utility companies would do anything even slightly nefarious with this data, now or in the future? Don't you know that they only have our own best interests at heart?

... OK, you can quit spitting coffee on your screens and/or ROTFL now; and for the benefit of the gym-teacher types who could easily sub for TV's Captain Obvious, yes, obviously I was being sarcastic there ...

I agree that there is potential there for other, less than kind, uses of that database. Offhand, I can't think of what... and it's not like it's that hard to figure out where most of us live, anyway... but the potential is definitely there.

Even so... for now at least, if someone is interested in using the new bands, this is a risk one will have to evaluate and then decide if it's too big of a risk, enough to make them pass on using the bands.