PDA

View Full Version : Twit-ter

W3WN
09-12-2017, 02:00 PM
About 2 weeks ago, during a Pirates game, something came up (no, not my dinner, they were actually winning this one at the time) that I wanted to pass on to the booth. (Nothing really important, just regarding a former player who Little Miss Field Day had recognized while she was working)

So I went ahead and set up a Twitter account for the purpose, since it is the only way these days to contact the announcers.

Which worked, which made the Boss happy. And that's the good news.

Seems that since then, my Yahoo email account has been flooded with posts... tweets?... whatever. Posts from the Pirates -- the team as a whole. Posts from individual players on the team. Posts from the Mayor of Pittsburgh. Posts from ESPN, ABC, CBS, NBC, and Faux asking me to watch various TV shows 'tonight' or over the next few days, with season premiers coming up.

Posts from people I've never heard of wanting me to view their page, buy something, or (ahem) look at their pictures in their birthday suits, to put it mildly. Follow-up posts thanking me for viewing said pictures and wanting to know if I'm interested in their videos.

Meta-posts from Twitter itself telling me I had twits, er, tweets. Lots of them. And followers. Lots of followers. All interested in my every whim twitted... tweeted... whatever.

All from ONE post. One single post.

I stopped counting at 200. Then I deleted the lot of them and unsubscribed that email address from the flood of twits... tweets... whatever.

And I thought Faceplant was bad.

VE7DCW
09-12-2017, 02:41 PM
Faceplant is of course just as bad.......one of the reasons I will never experience the supposed joy of Twitter.......I will pass on it! :irked:

WZ7U
09-12-2017, 09:15 PM
That taught ya!

Any medium used to compromise national security by the very person whose job it is to NOT do that is reason enough for me to never try it. Not even once. I mean, look what happened after one post. ONE! Worse than crack man

n6hcm
09-13-2017, 02:01 AM
I use Twitter daily... Bigly hundreds of followers... And this hasn't happened to me.

PA5COR
09-13-2017, 05:28 AM
I don't do social media, for that i have the transceiver.
More worried at th 80 mile per hour storm here at the moment.

WA4GSD
09-13-2017, 07:43 AM
About 2 weeks ago, during a Pirates game, something came up (no, not my dinner, they were actually winning this one at the time) that I wanted to pass on to the booth. (Nothing really important, just regarding a former player who Little Miss Field Day had recognized while she was working)

So I went ahead and set up a Twitter account for the purpose, since it is the only way these days to contact the announcers.

Which worked, which made the Boss happy. And that's the good news.

Seems that since then, my Yahoo email account has been flooded with posts... tweets?... whatever. Posts from the Pirates -- the team as a whole. Posts from individual players on the team. Posts from the Mayor of Pittsburgh. Posts from ESPN, ABC, CBS, NBC, and Faux asking me to watch various TV shows 'tonight' or over the next few days, with season premiers coming up.

Posts from people I've never heard of wanting me to view their page, buy something, or (ahem) look at their pictures in their birthday suits, to put it mildly. Follow-up posts thanking me for viewing said pictures and wanting to know if I'm interested in their videos.

Meta-posts from Twitter itself telling me I had twits, er, tweets. Lots of them. And followers. Lots of followers. All interested in my every whim twitted... tweeted... whatever.

All from ONE post. One single post.

I stopped counting at 200. Then I deleted the lot of them and unsubscribed that email address from the flood of twits... tweets... whatever.

And I thought Faceplant was bad.

I would guess there is a setting for the one account you 'followed', that would stop most of it... I think the system defaults to 'posting re-tweets'.
Disable that and you'd probably stop 50%, maybe more?

However, yes, the bigger issue is the pervasiveness of the platform just like Faceplant.

W3WN
09-13-2017, 08:25 AM
I would guess there is a setting for the one account you 'followed', that would stop most of it... I think the system defaults to 'posting re-tweets'.
< snip >That would make sense.

Now I'm sure someone who is well versed in twits, er, tweets would know this and how to configure things. But I saw none of that; I simply send one comment to the account in question. That was the only one I sent, and it will be a LONG time before I even consider sending another one.

The intrusiveness of the flood of twits, er, tweets was astonishing. Had I known I was about to open the floodgates, I wouldn't have bothered.

K4PIH
09-13-2017, 10:25 AM
Break it down Ron, Twit - er, Twit Twit Twit.

Worse than facebutt if that's possible

W3WN
09-13-2017, 10:41 AM
Break it down Ron, Twit - er, Twit Twit Twit.

Worse than facebutt if that's possible
Yeah, every single time I hear the name of this site, the first thing that pops into my mind is...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k5ba1OKY7Xc

KJ3N
09-13-2017, 11:21 AM
Signed up (against my better judgement) on 6/8/17. In 3 months time, I've sent 122 tweets, am following 27 people, and have 4 lonely souls following me (2 from here, btw).

I've gotten 91 email messages. So that averages out to 3 per day. Most of them are notifications about tweets from the people I'm following. Several are Twitter's suggestions for who to follow. I've gotten one burst of emails (15 in one day) for a comment I posted on Keith Olbermann's Twitter account. There are days I get nothing, sometimes for 2-3 days in a row.

Maybe it has something to do with the account you posted to. I don't do sports crap. In any case, I've not seen this deluge you apparently are being subjected to. This is clearly a case of YMMV.

W3WN
09-14-2017, 02:19 PM
Hmmm.

Well, since I allegedly disabled my email link, I've gotten these twits, er, tweets...

"Sorry, iPhone 9 Moment"
"Follow Pittsburgh Penguins, Pittsburgh Steelers, Antonio Brown"
"Pirates Shared 'Cole gets the nod vs Crew as Bucs shuffle rotation'"
"Follow Barack Obama, Donald J. Trump and Ellen Degeneres on..."
"Greg Giannotti Tweeted: Lots of Laughs, Good Stuff!"
"Progressive Insurance: Switch and Save!"
"Rare White Giraffes Spotted in Kenya!"
"BTS and Chainsmokers Are Collaborating!"
"Two new episodes of League Chumps are on MinerLeague.CO!"
"Meet Singles In Your Area!"

And a personal twit, er, tweet, from Pee Wee Herman (not Paul Rubens) announcing that 30 years ago today, his show debuted on CBS, and now you can download all the episodes on NetFlix!

Remember, this is AFTER I disabled the account. So much for unsubscribing.

I guess someone figures that their service (?) is so good that no one would REALLY want to unsubscribe from it. Right.

K7SGJ
09-14-2017, 05:32 PM
oops, dupe

K7SGJ
09-14-2017, 05:33 PM
Well, you can always close the account until you want to send something to the Pirates. It looks like the place has you pretty well stressed. Seems like you got along pretty well before you signed up at the place. Of course, if you want to follow your president, then, I guess you'll have to put up with ALL the bullshit.

W3WN
09-14-2017, 06:29 PM
Well, you can always close the account until you want to send something to the Pirates. It looks like the place has you pretty well stressed. Seems like you got along pretty well before you signed up at the place. Of course, if you want to follow your president, then, I guess you'll have to put up with ALL the bullshit.
Why on Earth, Vulcan, Betazoid, or Tatooine would I want to follow that buffoon?

Go wash your mouth out with soap, or whatever.

K2GSP
09-17-2017, 05:17 PM
I have to admit Twitter is my guilty pleasure. It's where I go to vent and let off a little steam. I have accumulated a bunch of followers and I have a lot of fun. I also get the added benefit of being able to speak directly to clowns like Trump. I know nothing I say will ever change anything, but I sure do feel better being able say it right to them.

KC9ECI
09-17-2017, 05:43 PM
Why on Earth, Vulcan, Betazoid, or Tatooine would I want to follow that buffoon?

Go wash your mouth out with soap, or whatever.

It's been my goal to tweet something at him that he finds so offensive that he blocks me, without attracting a visit from the USSS.

K2GSP
09-17-2017, 07:29 PM
It's been my goal to tweet something at him that he finds so offensive that he blocks me, without attracting a visit from the USSS.

Yes this.

koØm
09-17-2017, 10:45 PM
I have to admit Twitter is my guilty pleasure. It's where I go to vent and let off a little steam. I have accumulated a bunch of followers and I have a lot of fun. I also get the added benefit of being able to speak directly to clowns like Trump. I know nothing I say will ever change anything, but I sure do feel better being able say it right to them.

Add me to the crew, I've been trying to get blocked by him also. Follow me @BaddJusteu on twitter.com (https://twitter.com/BaddJusteu)

W3WN
09-18-2017, 08:35 AM
I see.

Well, whatever gets you through the night.

But that doesn't explain why you would think that I would want to follow that buffoon.

KC9ECI
09-19-2017, 09:59 PM
I don't follow him either. I don't want to increase his number of followers by even 1. I can tweet at him though.

n6hcm
09-19-2017, 10:35 PM
sure. tweet at me. go right ahead! (https://twitter.com/henare)