PDA

View Full Version : more hf privileges for techs?

n6hcm
09-05-2017, 01:49 PM
apparently this is something the ARRL wants (based, in turn, on about 8k in responses from members) ... http://cqnewsroom.blogspot.com/2017/09/arrl-to-seek-greater-hf-privileges-for.html

i can hear the bitching and moaning already ...

KG4CGC
09-05-2017, 02:48 PM
This is America. Just give them full privileges under one license. The same way we do with motorcycles. Get your learner's permit and you can go out and buy a bike big enough to overcome any of your "manhood" issues. Doesn't mean you will be able to ride it safely but at least you've done something about tiny "manhood" thing.

In the case of the ARRL, this means they can sponsor more HF radio sales. Now if they could just link this to patriotism like the NRA does then ...

WØTKX
09-05-2017, 06:59 PM
Now if they could just link this to patriotism like the NRA does then ...

Buy a Baofeng "opened up" and attend an ARRL sponsored Preppers Group? :scratchchin:

Honestly, I don't care if they get more HF priv-LID-ges.

KG4CGC
09-06-2017, 12:27 AM
Buy a Baofeng "opened up" and attend an ARRL sponsored Preppers Group? :scratchchin:

Honestly, I don't care if they get more HF priv-LID-ges.

I don't care if they get more either. One of the things I've noticed across all cross sections of this country is the growing inability to just let people enjoy themselves.

PA5COR
09-06-2017, 04:48 AM
It's a universal thing.
Same here, we have 2 licenses, the "N" license which is the start license and just some 25 watt privilidges on partly 40 partly 20 whole 10 2 and 70.

The full license with all the goodies.
Since the inception of the "N"licensees with calls starting with PD theyy have been rooting for more freqquencies and power for their license, and as we stated as full licensees you can opt to study and get the full license, we got clobbered with insults, and all kind of excuses not to study and get the full license.

Same went on in belgium, where they went from 10 to 50 watts, and all over Europe restricted entrance licensees are rooting for more liberties for doing nothing to earn it.

I came in the hobby for building stuff electronics antenna's build my own satellite receiver before that became popular and consumer receivers popped up, and still till today i'm interested in new developments and technical stuff.
Most new hams just see it as extention for their phone, can't properly solder a PL259 plug to a coax cable ( if they own a soldering iron that is) which is a loss for the hobby.
The goal of our hobby is to learn, to be interested in it, to learn about electronics, or at least understand what you are working with, propagation, etc and improve your knowledge and yourself through the hobby.
If you ditch all that you are just a glorified CB er, nothing wrong with a CB er, but you didn't get the license for that.

Or maybe i'm just an old carmudgeon...

KC2UGV
09-06-2017, 07:09 AM
This is America. Just give them full privileges under one license. The same way we do with motorcycles. Get your learner's permit and you can go out and buy a bike big enough to overcome any of your "manhood" issues. Doesn't mean you will be able to ride it safely but at least you've done something about tiny "manhood" thing.

In the case of the ARRL, this means they can sponsor more HF radio sales. Now if they could just link this to patriotism like the NRA does then ...

I'm kinda ok with same privs, et al.

Basically, Tech's (Or beginners, or whatever we call it) get non-voice modes on HF. Extras (Experts, master, whatever), get all modes, all bands.

N8YX
09-06-2017, 09:45 AM
What problem is this proposal attempting to address?

K7SGJ
09-06-2017, 11:26 AM
A solution to a problem that doesn't exist, yet.

K4PIH
09-06-2017, 11:15 PM
So let's cut to the chase.

Mail in a water bill and $25 and get your extra class license today!

Or go online to www.fcc.payola.gov and use a debit/credit card and print your own boys n girls��

WZ7U
09-06-2017, 11:57 PM
Why? I already have one.

KD8TUT
09-07-2017, 05:52 AM
Why? I already have one.

A water bill?

WA4GSD
09-07-2017, 08:16 AM
A water bill?

Carrying water for the old administration?
Or the new?
Or proof of something?

K7SGJ
09-07-2017, 12:36 PM
Let the people play radio, as long as they have a license, abide by the rules and regulations, and ply nice, who cares. Actually, it's not like there is an abundance of activity on the ham bands anymore. Except for contests, at which time the way people bitch you'd think DC to light wouldn't be enough room.

It's kinda like going fishing. If you are serious about catching a fish, you join the crowd on the lake. If it's too crowded for you, go to the lake up the road that's a bit harder to get to, or go do something else. Of course you don't need worms to play radio, so maybe it is a bit different.