PDA

View Full Version : WIN 10 is great except...

WZ7U
06-27-2017, 06:04 PM
OK folks,
My question for the enlightened out here is this: Why is it sometimes when I am posting on a forum (never had this problem here) the screen goes to black. The desk top is fine, other files open fine, just sometimes I am posting and click the mouse, say to change position in the post or whatever, and the screen goes black. The antivirus hasn't tripped on anything as far as I can tell. Am I just "fatfingering" something? I believe the phrase is :wtf:

So far the only cure is to close all tabs and start over. A real PITA when I'm working on school with 4 tabs open and doing some ham posting for a mental break and the whole thing fucks off. Not to mention I have to rewrite the effin post!

What gives?

Thanks, Eric

KG4CGC
06-27-2017, 09:51 PM
Just started happening with me randomly with Firefox. I just figured it was a FF problem.

WZ7U
06-27-2017, 10:27 PM
OK Charles, that's something since I run FF too. :wtf:

I run FF because the corporate alternative doesn't play well with the school system (according to them). That and I like it better than IE or whatever the replacement is.

KD8TUT
06-28-2017, 05:31 AM
This is a Firefox issue related to the newest version. I'm not sure how to reproduce it, but I've seen it a couple of times this week.

K7SGJ
06-28-2017, 09:00 AM
This is a Firefox issue related to the newest version. I'm not sure how to reproduce it, but I've seen it a couple of times this week.

Have you tried a Petri dish?

KD8TUT
06-28-2017, 11:13 AM
Have you tried a Petri dish?

No... but there was no condom present while testing.

K7SGJ
06-28-2017, 11:56 AM
Maybe if you rubber leg first?

WZ7U
06-28-2017, 12:14 PM
So, till another patch comes out, "tough titty said the kitty but it still gives milk" - not sure which old brain cell just popped but I hope it wasn't too important

KG4CGC
06-28-2017, 02:13 PM
So, till another patch comes out, "tough titty said the kitty but it still gives milk" - not sure which old brain cell just popped but I hope it wasn't too important

HARD CHEESE, BUSTER!

KG4CGC
08-12-2017, 12:00 AM
Since the latest update I now cannot simply restart my machine. It will stay on the restart screen forever. I have to do a complete shut down.

WZ7U
08-12-2017, 02:21 AM
Wow, now I've not had that particular flavor of fun yet.

I am sort of annoyed with the incessant updates this OS does. Is it really that complicated or are there that many people messing with it constantly? Either way, I wish everyone involved from the software engineers to the malicious hackers would just fuck off and leave it alone. I know, wish in one hand, shit in the other and see which one fills up first.

Sorry about your luck Charles. At the school I am enrolled in, one class insists Firefox is the best browser for the curriculum while the third party entities they contract certain 'services' to insist I run chrome. PITA man!

WØTKX
08-12-2017, 11:52 AM
I tracked down an obscure and annoying hardwae issue on my new build, and will probably roll back the video drivers for my Raedon video card.

Don't play games much, a little bit of Steam apps. But I had some weird stuff going on that was hard to find.

I do like Windows 10. When I run Linux, it updates a lot too. And my older AMD needs a major Linux upgrade.

I suggest an old System 36 Siverlake mini computer. Or a Sun workstation. :evil:

KG4CGC
08-12-2017, 03:14 PM
I'd rather go back to win8 or even 7 for better memory management.

K7SGJ
08-12-2017, 07:10 PM
DOS 3.1?

WZ7U
08-12-2017, 07:46 PM
I do appreciate how fast 10 spools up from a cold start though. None of my previous microcephalic OS could do that as fast as 10.

KG4CGC
08-13-2017, 02:04 AM
I do appreciate how fast 10 spools up from a cold start though. None of my previous microcephalic OS could do that as fast as 10.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bQC3mY9UYFU

KG4CGC
08-13-2017, 02:11 AM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Oj4w7i-TqsE

WZ7U
08-13-2017, 02:30 AM
:rock:

WØTKX
08-13-2017, 09:58 AM
Since the latest update I now cannot simply restart my machine. It will stay on the restart screen forever. I have to do a complete shut down.

Googled "windows 10 stuck on restart, cold boot works"

From one page (gives clues) te check what hung up..

This is a very simple fix ladies and gentlemen. If your Windows 10 session gets stuck during a system restart, press CTRL + ALT + DELETE.
Afterwards, the restart screen will disappear and be replaced by the Task Manager.
It will reveal the "hanging" programs that have failed to close; ie. a word document with a save prompt still open.

http://errorfixer.co/windows-10-stuck-restart-screen-easy-fix/

:dunno:

(http://errorfixer.co/windows-10-stuck-restart-screen-easy-fix/)

KG4CGC
08-13-2017, 01:21 PM
Googled "windows 10 stuck on restart, cold boot works"

From one page (gives clues) te check what hung up..

http://errorfixer.co/windows-10-stuck-restart-screen-easy-fix/

:dunno:

(http://errorfixer.co/windows-10-stuck-restart-screen-easy-fix/)

That was one of the first things I did after it happened the first time. Nothing.

WZ7U
08-21-2017, 08:33 AM
Just for grins & giggles I timed how long from cold it takes for this machine to get its dancing shoes on. 2:30 cold to go. And that is slowed up by some add-ons that spool up on start. Way faster than anything previous. Ever. Except when this machine was virgin and then probably by only 30 seconds or so.

Wow.

K4PIH
08-21-2017, 07:22 PM
Win 10 is great except when you try to use it!

WØTKX
08-21-2017, 07:26 PM
Was that 2 minutes and 30 seconds?

With the SSD on my newer box, I boot up in about 17 seconds, cold.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9j1qkorFszY

WZ7U
08-22-2017, 01:07 AM
That IS fast!

PA5COR
08-22-2017, 02:05 AM
Mostly 15 or 16 seconds, I7 procesor, 12 GB mem, 2GB N Videa Geforce video card, SSHD, W10 64 bits, Lenovo lappie.
Fresh install was 12 seconds or so, but now some more stuff needs to be loaded...;)

WZ7U
08-22-2017, 02:43 AM
Those SSHD's are fast. This machine has the old method of spin the platter and play the hits.

If I remember right this one is running wild with an I-7 as well, 32 GB ram, 4GB Nvidea card, 1TB spinny thing and the evil Windows 10 OS into a 32" Samsung stupid TV. I do coursework in CAD and would like to carry on with that on this machine into the future. I should look into a SSHD though. Maybe once I start earning a paycheck again I can upgrade and implement.

You kids and your hyper drive devices. Quit speeding down my road! :spin:

PA5COR
08-22-2017, 08:32 AM
SSHD's aren't that expensive anymore, i only have a 250GB one, and have 170 GB left over.
Nothing beats their speed, put indexing off, have enough memory, ditch the swap file, saves the SSHD lots of unneeded writes and reads, lengthening the lifespan.

Keep it cool as well like the rest of the computer, i'm using an notebook cooler plate with 2 large fans running 5 volt from the USB port, internal fan runs extremely slow, temps of CPU stay around 30 degrees C.

Did the same with the new satellite receiver, temp of the dual core processor went from 60 C back to 43 C, as does the rest run cooler intern.

WØTKX
08-22-2017, 01:46 PM
The only annyance I have now is after a Windows update, I have to reload my legacy Firewire driver.

I have tried cool tricks to stop it, but no go. It only takes a couple of minutes, including the reboot.

Oh well. :)