PDA

View Full Version : Feeling The Effects Of All The Years Piling Up

W3WN
06-20-2017, 02:43 PM
Little Miss Field Day turns 21 tomorrow.

I haven't felt this ancient since the day I turned 50. (And never mind when that was)

One more "milestone" like this, I'm going to have to get on 75 or 20 meters and start kvetching about my aches and pains. But at least I still have my gall bladder!

PA5COR
06-20-2017, 02:53 PM
My son turns 30 in July, i think i can see how you feel.....

KG4CGC
06-20-2017, 02:54 PM
My youngest is 28.

WX7P
06-20-2017, 03:43 PM
Mine will be 31 in August and I DON'T have my gall bladder.

I feel purty durn good. Things are going well here; I like WA, and I'm spending a lot more time doing radio.

It's interesting to note I used to be FAR more concerned about my mortality when I was a lot younger. Now I don't even think about it.

KD8TUT
06-20-2017, 05:19 PM

I haven't felt this ancient since the day I turned 50. (And never mind when that was)

One more "milestone" like this, I'm going to have to get on 75 or 20 meters and start kvetching about my aches and pains. But at least I still have my gall bladder!

I'm not as old as some of the guys in radio... but I've come to this conclusion....

The only answer to aging is the following:

Stay young until you end. Hope to die before you get old... in the head.... where it matters....

W3WN
06-20-2017, 09:11 PM
It didn't bother me when our boy (technically my stepson) turned 21. It bothered the Boss.

But this one is different.

You have to realize that my first wife decided she didn't want children. Before we were married, we'd talked about it, and she said she wanted to wait a few years until her career got going... after the fact, her attitude was "kids? I don't want kids! When did I ever say I'd want kids!?"

So as life turned out, LMFD will be my only biological child. Not that our son means any less to me, but to some degree, she is special.

And, he feels special too. His father also has remarried, and he has a brother & sister on that side of his family, but he is the only one with both of his parents. So don't think he gets left out. (Poor guy, both of his step parents, as it turns out, are Jewish, and both of his parents are Catholic. He really does get the guilt trip from all ends!)

W3WN
06-21-2017, 09:36 AM
Well, LMFD did NOT go bar cruising after midnight.

The friend who was organizing the whole shindig was unavailable. Home, sick, in bed with pneumonia.

Perchance that's just as well...

K7SGJ
06-21-2017, 09:38 AM
I'm not as old as some of the guys in radio... but I've come to this conclusion....

The only answer to aging is the following:

Stay young until you end. Hope to die before you get old... in the head.... where it matters....

Why the hell would one want to die in the bathroom? Unless the really looked flushed.

KD8TUT
06-21-2017, 11:12 AM
Why the hell would one want to die in the bathroom? Unless the really looked flushed.

It's a republican gay dating thing...

K7SGJ
06-21-2017, 08:04 PM
Say no more, please.

Bushtit

WZ7U
06-21-2017, 11:35 PM
:yuck::yuck::yuck: He said Republican.....:puke:|

KG4CGC
06-22-2017, 12:32 AM
It's true. There's a Republican Gay Dating site called Lemon Party dot com. It's pretty graphic.

WZ7U
06-22-2017, 01:35 AM
Oh for fucks sake. Really? :wtf: :confused:

I believe you, but I'm not going investigate anything like that. :snooty:

W3WN
06-22-2017, 05:34 AM
It's true. There's a Republican Gay Dating site called Lemon Party dot com. It's pretty graphic.
I do not want to know how you found that. I will just take your word for it.

And how the blazes did a little thread about my daughter's birthday get sidetracked into a discussion of graphic gay partisan web sites? I wonder about some of yinz, I really do.

PA5COR
06-22-2017, 06:45 AM
Hijacking threads is standard practice here, thought you knew that :mrgreen:

KD8TUT
06-22-2017, 07:30 AM

And how the blazes did a little thread about my daughter's birthday get sidetracked into a discussion of graphic gay partisan web sites? I wonder about some of yinz, I really do.

You have my apologies... you are right. That was quite disrespectful of the subject and your daughter.

In the future I will be more considerate.

K4PIH
06-22-2017, 08:33 AM

Know as "doing the Elvis"!

KG4CGC
06-22-2017, 11:29 AM
Yeah, who knows, Ron. I'm disgusting. I won't blame all the Mel Brooks movies I saw growing up. I won't I just won't!

K7SGJ
06-22-2017, 11:44 AM

Hey, it's da Island. Would you expect anything less?

KG4CGC
06-22-2017, 11:50 AM
Happy Belated Birthday LMFD. Your dad is old. Be nice to him.

WZ7U
06-22-2017, 04:45 PM
:rotflol:

KB3LAZ
06-22-2017, 10:44 PM

My turning 30 stressed my mother out too. It didn't bother me but I remember my fathers 30th, just barely, but he was pissed that we put thirty candles on his cake. He thought it was the end of the world. Now that he just turned 53, didn't phase him at all. Hum go figure.

What milestones are left? AARP? :icon_wink:

W5BRM
06-23-2017, 06:57 AM
My turning 30 stressed my mother out too. It didn't bother me but I remember my fathers 30th, just barely, but he was pissed that we put thirty candles on his cake. He thought it was the end of the world. Now that he just turned 53, didn't phase him at all. Hum go figure.

GERITOL!

K7SGJ
06-23-2017, 07:36 AM
75 meters

W3WN
06-23-2017, 09:01 AM

What milestones are left? AARP? :icon_wink:Funny, last summer the Boss thought AARP membership might be worth something. So I caved in.

We got a year's worth of lousy magazines with bushtit-level advice, a horde of letters offering us all sorts of insurance at alleged huge discounts, and an clear increase in the number of telephone solicitations for insurance, vacations, and medical needs. Plus four different sets of "this is not an insurance card, this is a pharmacy discount program" cards for pharmacies that we don't deal with & are not in the WPA area.

Oh, and that alleged AARP discount(s) you get almost everywhere? AAA has the same discount(s) in the same places, and you can only use one discount at a time.

AARP started up the "please renew your membership" campaign last October. All those letters go right into the shredder.

W3WN
06-23-2017, 09:01 AM
GERITOL!
75 meters
I'm not much for 75 phone these days. Not even the GERITOL WAS (Worked All Seniors) net. Is it even still around?

KB3LAZ
06-23-2017, 11:10 AM
Funny, last summer the Boss thought AARP membership might be worth something. So I caved in.

We got a year's worth of lousy magazines with bushtit-level advice, a horde of letters offering us all sorts of insurance at alleged huge discounts, and an clear increase in the number of telephone solicitations for insurance, vacations, and medical needs. Plus four different sets of "this is not an insurance card, this is a pharmacy discount program" cards for pharmacies that we don't deal with & are not in the WPA area.

Oh, and that alleged AARP discount(s) you get almost everywhere? AAA has the same discount(s) in the same places, and you can only use one discount at a time.

AARP started up the "please renew your membership" campaign last October. All those letters go right into the shredder.

Yep, a lot of hotels offer the same discount for AARP or AAA around here. I don't know what other discounts are out there, though. I did find out that you can order from the sr menu at a lot of places even if you are younger as long as that option is not offered on the regular menu at a higher price. Interestingly the same goes for the kids menu. :yes: Thing is, my wife asked because normally she is put off by the portion size of a regular menu in the states, always asking if it is meant for two people. Point being, there is always the sr menu but then again that seems to not be 100% true.

As for 75m, you'd think I was an old fart but I have used 75m phone for the longest time. Those are the guys who got me interested. There are a few groups of okay fellows out there, some of them lesser active members here. But yeah, for the most part, not so much. You don't have to worry about feeling old until LMFD starts chatting on 75m. :D

WØTKX
06-23-2017, 07:10 PM

I'll be 61 in a few weeks, so be kind while I amuse myself...Whippersnapper!

http://i0.kym-cdn.com/photos/images/original/001/044/247/297.png

K7SGJ
06-23-2017, 07:16 PM
I'll be 61 in a few weeks, so be kind while I amuse myself...Whippersnapper!

http://i0.kym-cdn.com/photos/images/original/001/044/247/297.png

Ha! You're just a kid. I don't even remember 61.

NQ6U
06-23-2017, 10:00 PM
Ha! You're just a kid. I don't even remember 61.

Sam here. I'd tell him to get off my lawn, but I live on a boat and "get off the eel grass" don't have the same ring to it.

K7SGJ
06-24-2017, 08:39 AM
Sam here. I'd tell him to get off my lawn, but I live on a boat and "get off the eel grass" don't have the same ring to it.

I guess he'll just have to............wave?

NQ6U
06-24-2017, 10:36 AM
I guess he'll just have to............wave?

You're giving me that sinking feeling. Now I'm gonna have to keel you.

KD8TUT
06-24-2017, 11:41 AM

So get a little planter... :P

K7SGJ
06-24-2017, 12:38 PM
You're giving me that sinking feeling. Now I'm gonna have to keel you.

What the hull are you talking about? Next time I get to SD, I'm going to pay you a visit. After I'm gone, you'll probably notice your mast is mizzen.

NQ6U
06-24-2017, 12:55 PM
What the hull are you talking about? Next time I get to SD, I'm going to pay you a visit. After I'm gone, you'll probably notice your mast is mizzen.

Do you think I'll bow to your threats? If you even try messing with my boat, you'll get a stern talking too.

K7SGJ
06-24-2017, 02:40 PM
Do you think I'll bow to your threats? If you even try messing with my boat, you'll get a stern talking too.

"Ease" up, and don't give me that "jibe". You may end up with someone trying to "tack" your nuts to the deck and then poop on it. And, don't even think about trying to "leech" off of me.

WZ7U
06-24-2017, 03:47 PM
Ahh, island love. Ain't it grand?

KD8TUT
06-24-2017, 03:52 PM
"Ease" up, and don't give me that "jibe". You may end up with someone trying to "tack" your nuts to the deck and then poop on it. And, don't even think about trying to "leech" off of me.

Get it over with and Bow before the Pope.

Any port in a storm.

K7SGJ
06-24-2017, 06:47 PM
Just thinking about it gives me the sheets.

WX7P
06-25-2017, 06:11 AM
Just thinking about it gives me the sheets.

Rata:

Will be in Scottsdale mid September.

Watch out for drive-bys

Heh heh heh

W3WN
06-25-2017, 07:40 PM
Well, I'm happy to report that the element of surprise was effective after all.

The original plan for today was that we and our son & his family were going to go out to a local Chinese restaurant for dinner in lieu of a birthday party for LMFD, leaving around 4 to 5. While we were out, the rest of the family was going to come over, decorate the house, and throw a little surprise party when we got back.

That got deep sixed on Wednesday. My grandson got picked for the Little League travelling team, and they had a practice scheduled for 6 PM tonight.

So instead, the immediate family came over for a cookout at noon. (Did kind of torpedo my Field Day plans, I was supposed to be on the overnight shift, so that went out the proverbial window).

And we took her out to a movie at 5, to make up for the "lost" dinner plans. I'm sure you can figure out what happened while we were out... she even spotted the bag of party decorations, and asked. I told her that we'd planned to have the family over after dinner, but with the kids coming over at lunchtime instead, that got scrapped. (And I didn't lie -- the original plans DID get scrapped, we just came up with a new plan)

So 7 PM, we pull in the garage. She heads up the basement steps to grab LucyFurr for her walk... and walks in on everyone sitting around chatting, waiting for her. Surprise! In fact, a double surprise, as they didn't hear the garage door open & close (being too busy yapping, but that's the family), and thought we were going to come in the front door (which would not have worked, they were all parked in the neighbor's driveway, which is right by the front door!).
All in all, a good time was had by all. LMFD got her surprise party after all, and she got to see the kids. And I got to spend money on this, that, and the other thing... as expected.

K7SGJ
06-25-2017, 08:55 PM
Rata:

Will be in Scottsdale mid September.

Watch out for drive-bys

Heh heh heh

No problem. I look forward getting together for a bite to eat or something. Or, the way things have been around Phoenix and Scottsburg lately, we can go stick up a 7-11.

WØTKX
06-26-2017, 02:35 PM
No problem. I look forward getting together for a bite to eat or something. Or, the way things have been around Phoenix and Scottsburg lately, we can go stick up a 7-11.

I hear Pheonix 7-11's have psychedelic chutney squishies.

https://media.giphy.com/media/H0XnfbBzG5Pi0/giphy.gif

K7SGJ
06-26-2017, 07:42 PM
I hear Pheonix 7-11's have psychedelic chutney squishies.

https://media.giphy.com/media/H0XnfbBzG5Pi0/giphy.gif

True story right there. Magic shrooms are in a booth in the back, in the corner, in the dark. Kinda like most of us.

KC2UGV
06-28-2017, 07:15 PM
Nice that it all worked out great Ron!

W7XF
07-04-2017, 02:05 AM
No problem. I look forward getting together for a bite to eat or something. Or, the way things have been around Phoenix and Scottsburg lately, we can go stick up a 7-11 Joe ArPieHole.

Fixed due to the degraded outcome.

ka8ncr
07-04-2017, 10:59 AM
After reading this thread, I am thinking about pickling my prostate.

WØTKX
07-04-2017, 11:08 AM
I thought you said "tickling", and that would be Rumpus.

K7SGJ
07-04-2017, 11:17 AM
Fixed due to the degraded outcome.

May have to break into jail to get at the prick.