PDA

View Full Version : Fedora + Grub Menu Gone

n2ize
05-24-2017, 09:49 AM
I am on Fedora 25. The other day did a few system upgrades to keep everything up to date. Usually on initial bootup I get the Grub menu that appears on screen so I can select which kernel I want to boot into, whether I want to boot into rescue mode and/or whether I want to add any specialized boot options. Suddenly I am not getting that menu anymore. It just boots into some kernel and eventually takes me to the login screen, Any ideas ? I'm not too familiar with GRUB troubleshooting... in the past it always just worked. Has anyobne else experienced this and or anyone familiar with diagnosing the GRUB boot loader ?

WA4GSD
05-25-2017, 06:47 AM
Haven't updated mine in 2 weeks, probably should, but...
Sounds like some (technical term alert) linkages got screwed up (ok, another technical term).
Not too familiar with the whole GRUB / boot process, like you said it just always seems to work... and when it doesn't.. oh crap!
Which kernel is it booting into? The latest you updated too?

uname -r

should give you the version.

If you use IRC, you can try asking in the #fedora groups.

K7SGJ
05-25-2017, 08:00 AM
You may have to wait a bit since most of the fedora group members are out getting their chapeaus dry cleaned and re-blocked

n2ize
05-25-2017, 09:45 AM
Haven't updated mine in 2 weeks, probably should, but...
Sounds like some (technical term alert) linkages got screwed up (ok, another technical term).
Not too familiar with the whole GRUB / boot process, like you said it just always seems to work... and when it doesn't.. oh crap!
Which kernel is it booting into? The latest you updated too?

uname -r

should give you the version.

If you use IRC, you can try asking in the #fedora groups. It's booting into kernel "4.10.16-200.fc25.x86_64". You're right, I might have to ask around on one of the Fedora tech forums or chat groups.

n2ize
05-25-2017, 09:45 AM
You may have to wait a bit since most of the fedora group members are out getting their chapeaus dry cleaned and re-blocked
:-D LOL..

KC2UGV
05-25-2017, 09:53 AM
It looks like the nowait, along with the splash kernel option got passed to the grub conf, during an update.

n2ize
05-25-2017, 11:11 AM
It looks like the nowait, along with the splash kernel option got passed to the grub conf, during an update.So what would be my best option ? Should I change those settings in /etc/default/grub and then run "# grub2-mkconfig -o /boot/grub2/grub.cfg" ?

KC2UGV
05-25-2017, 01:46 PM
So what would be my best option ? Should I change those settings in /etc/default/grub and then run "# grub2-mkconfig -o /boot/grub2/grub.cfg" ?

I "think" so. It's been quite some time since I've played with boot options (Just make it work).

WA4GSD
05-26-2017, 05:35 AM

Ok, I'll admit... I had to look up what a "chapeaus" was. lol :icon_smile:

n2ize
05-26-2017, 10:09 AM
From what I can tell my configuration looks correct, I can't find anything that would cause the boot menu not to show up on-screen. In fact when I am booting the machine it pauses at about the time the menu should appear and it seems as if it's trying to show the menu. I see a black screen and a small white prompt and the monitor seems to change resolutions but no boot menu ever becomes visible. Then it just times out and boots into whatever kernel is set as the default.

Actually it's not that terrible of a problem. Since this system only runs Fedora Linux I don;t need the boot menu for selecting between different operating system. All I need it for is to select which installed kernel I want it to boot into and there are other ways to do that without a boot menu... So I can live with it like this but it would still be nice to get it running right and show the menu again.

P.S. I have a similar system in the next room running Fedora 25 as well. I can take a look at those configuration files and compare them with the ones on this system to check for any discrepancies...

NM5TF
05-26-2017, 10:36 PM
Hi John...

have you tried "Boot Repair" yet....it seems to fix most things I screw up....including GRUB2

haven't seen the problem as I have not updated F25 in a few weeks...I
use Arch Linux 99% of the time...

n2ize
05-28-2017, 03:23 PM
Hi John...

have you tried "Boot Repair" yet....it seems to fix most things I screw up....including GRUB2

haven't seen the problem as I have not updated F25 in a few weeks...I
use Arch Linux 99% of the time...Haven't tried it yet. I'll give it a go. Thanks.

n2ize
05-31-2017, 03:39 PM
Guess what ? Out of nowhere the GRUB boot menu started appearing again. My guess what happened is that an earler update broke somehing and a more recent update fixed what was broked,

WA4GSD
06-01-2017, 07:53 AM
Guess what ? Out of nowhere the GRUB boot menu started appearing again. My guess what happened is that an earler update broke somehing and a more recent update fixed what was broked,

Sounds completely plausible. Hope the next update doesn't re-break it. :icon_smile:

n2ize
06-04-2017, 04:00 PM
Sounds completely plausible. Hope the next update doesn't re-break it. :icon_smile:Tell me about it. It wouldn't be the first time that would have happened. Most of the time the updates go smooth with no problems. Other times an upgrade will break an important piece of software leaving me scrambling for a fix.