PDA

View Full Version : WTF is it with Costco and their packaging?

KE6KA
04-08-2017, 02:48 AM
I purchased a point and shoot Fujifilm camera today. When I got it home I attempted to open the package, which was clam-shelled in between two pieces of thin cardboard that measures about 14 or 15 inches square. So, I took the first sharp object that was closest too me which was a pair of scissors and proceeded to cut the box containing the accessories. The blades on the scissors bent, so next tool ---- one of those exacto knives with the snap-off blades. I managed to get the box out of the clam shell after snapping the blade a few times. The camera itself was not in the box, but placed in the clam shell bubble in the upper third of this package so everyone could see the camera. Now here lies the problem. The bubble is molded to the contour of the camera, you shouldn't cut through the plastic because you might damage the camera. The best thing to do would be to cut a square out and around the camera and hope the clam shell bubble around the camera isn't glued shut with gorilla glue. I tried that, but the knife was both too small and too weak to go through four layers of packaging material. Since I couldn't find any other tools that didn't involve searching through the garage I just decided to cut around the camera....carefully. I made progress about a third of the way until the plastic started to distort. Yes, the blade was sharp. I started cutting from the other side of the camera and the same thing happend, so I just figured I would used a little force, which required setting it on the carpet and holding one end of the package down with my knees, and the damn thing still wouldn't slice open. So, I used a little more force with a larger knife and heard a crack, which was the display on the back of the camera. So, off to Costco tomorrow to exchange the thing. I did call Costco to complain about it. Their suggest was to use metal cutters and cut through the middle of the whole mess. I guess that is a solution, but I still think it is a bit much to require customers to get out the heavy-duty tools just to get a camera out of a package.

Now, I understand part of the reason for this is theft deterrent. It just seems like a better solution to this problem would be to have a display in the electronics department so people can see the products, then have write down the item number so they pick up the item after they pay for it the same way that it is done with laptops and other items.

WØTKX
04-08-2017, 10:25 AM
Have them give you a free Dremel with a cutting disk.

NQ6U
04-08-2017, 02:19 PM
Have them give you a free Dremel with a cutting disk.

And a pound of C-4

KG4CGC
04-08-2017, 03:58 PM
Orange handle Fiskars.

K4PIH
04-08-2017, 11:16 PM
Don't shop Costco?

NA4BH
04-09-2017, 01:44 AM
It's kayak mating season in Maine, so it might take a little time.

KG4CGC
04-09-2017, 02:13 AM
It's kayak mating season in Maine, so it might take a little time.

I caught mine in a threesome, they all scattered before I got the camera out. They are real thrill seekers, only seeming to want to do it during tornado weather.

NA4BH
04-09-2017, 02:15 AM
The water is white for a reason.

WZ7U
04-09-2017, 05:46 AM
And don't forget rapid

kf0rt
04-10-2017, 07:11 AM
I hate that packaging shit. We didn't invent plug-n-play so that you could sell the cables in bulletproof packaging.

n2ize
04-10-2017, 10:02 AM
Some good ol' fashion dynamite will git it open. Or, if you're in a no noise zone a CO2 cutting laser.

K0RGR
04-10-2017, 03:47 PM
It's nice to know that I'm not the only one who hates these packages. I'm known to buy the items that aren't packaged that way when I can. I've broken too things trying to get them out. Usually when I use scissors or a cutter, I discover something important was hidden in that cardboard, too.

KG4CGC
04-10-2017, 05:15 PM
https://www.amazon.com/ZipIt-Opener-Electric-Blister-Package/dp/B001QXOMWC/ref=sr_1_1?s=home-garden&ie=UTF8&qid=1491862508&sr=1-1&keywords=clamshell+packaging+cutter

HAAH!

K4PIH
04-10-2017, 07:51 PM
Some good ol' fashion dynamite will git it open. Or, if you're in a no noise zone a CO2 cutting laser.

Hush a boom!

KE6KA
04-11-2017, 02:00 PM
I took it back to the Costco in Sacramento. They refused to refund or exchange it because I they felt I should have known better and cut directly through the center of the package, so I took it to another Costco where they refunded it, but only after telling me that items that are damaged by customers are not normally eligible for refunds. I let the manager there know how I felt about the packaging and how it got damaged. I didn't get another one because they wouldn't exchange it at the customer service desk and I would have had to wait in a line of 25 people to get another one, so I just left. I must say I wasn't really happy with the whole Costco experience regarding this incident.

Costco should either ditch the packaging or at least have some instructions on how to get the items out of the package.

WØTKX
04-11-2017, 03:22 PM
https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/736x/f3/83/2d/f3832dd08a5175a51529122e14843adf.jpg

KG4CGC
04-11-2017, 11:38 PM
:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol: