PDA

View Full Version : So, Ham Radio Outlet pays minimum wage....

KE6KA
03-25-2017, 11:42 AM
HRO is closing their Sunnyvale store.

I can understand the parking and rent expenses. However, the increase in minimum wage was mentioned. I think it is currently $13.00 in Sunnyvale, which is hardly an astronomical sum, and not much more than it is in Oakland. Of course, from what I've seen from many hams, the minimum wage thing doesn't surprise me.

http://www.mercurynews.com/2017/03/24/sunnyvale-ham-radio-outlet-closes-after-26-years/

WX7P
03-25-2017, 12:39 PM

I can understand the parking and rent expenses. However, the increase in minimum wage was mentioned. I think it is currently $13.00 in Sunnyvale, which is hardly an astronomical sum, and not much more than it is in Oakland. Of course, from what I've seen from many hams, the minimum wage thing doesn't surprise me.

http://www.mercurynews.com/2017/03/24/sunnyvale-ham-radio-outlet-closes-after-26-years/

I was there last week. The guy behind the counter said it mainly because of the rental increase. I find it hard to believe they would have shut the store over minimum wage. A pittance compared to the rent.

That guy K6SSJ has the ultimate whacker van. Porcupines everwhere are envious.

WZ7U
03-25-2017, 03:20 PM
Bummer Reggie

KD8TUT
03-25-2017, 03:23 PM

I have no respect for that company. Had a personal horror story. The fact that they swallowed AES is sad.

Hams seem to defend them because they are the "last large brick and mortar" store. That's not enough for me.

Hope they either change or close. And fast.

W2NAP
03-25-2017, 04:55 PM
i buy everything from R+L

KE6KA
03-25-2017, 07:48 PM
I have no respect for that company. Had a personal horror story. The fact that they swallowed AES is sad.

Hams seem to defend them because they are the "last large brick and mortar" store. That's not enough for me.

Hope they either change or close. And fast.

I'm not too crazy about them myself. My first experience with them involved me being one of those "no-coder techs" in the Oakland store in 1991. When I was up in Portland a few years ago I was inquiring about some of the small portable MFJ antenna tuners and was pretty much dismissed when I asked if one of them had a balanced output. First, he didn't know what I was talking about. Then he told me I don't need that, everyone uses coax these days, then went on to say I can't have everything. Well, yes I can. MFJ makes antenna tuners with balanced line outputs. He told me to take a look at the MFJ website., at which point I told him I was really interested in buying an antenna tuner TODAY, I just couldn't remember the model number of the exact one I wanted, and there would be no coming back tomorrow because I would just order one on the internet. He comment: "We really don't make much on antenna tuners anyway." Well, that's not the point. The point is I would have purchased an antenna tuner if he would have taken the time to assist me. And I don't understand businesses that have that attitude regarding items with a low markup. Even it is a few dollars, it is still cash flow. But since the guy was probably making $8.00 an hour, he just didn't care.

I did order an SDR play from them. They were the only ones selling them at the time.

koØm
03-28-2017, 07:36 PM
i buy everything from R+L

Do you drive over or use their catalog?

N8YX
03-28-2017, 09:21 PM
Do you drive over or use their catalog?

I just used the Internet and saved a ton of money over Company X on something by purchasing through R&L.

WZ7U
03-28-2017, 10:17 PM
Kinda like Geico?

N8YX
03-29-2017, 08:37 AM
Kinda like Geico?

Exactly, but without that damned lizard.

K7SGJ
03-29-2017, 10:11 AM
Careful. With talk like that, Gerry will send in the pig.

NQ6U
03-29-2017, 03:21 PM
Careful. With talk like that, Gerry will send in the pig.

Gerry has no control over my arrival or departure.

KD8TUT
03-29-2017, 04:29 PM
Gerry has no control over my arrival or departure.

I'm just here for the hugz.

WZ7U
03-29-2017, 06:29 PM
I'm just here for the hugz.

So is this one

KD8TUT
03-29-2017, 07:10 PM
So is this one

I guess you got my goat.

Schwiiiiiing!

WZ7U
03-29-2017, 07:11 PM
Yeah, I got your goat.

You want it back, right? :spin:

K0RGR
03-31-2017, 03:32 PM
In a previous life, I often visited the original HRO when it was in Burlingame, CA, in the former railroad station. It was part of my one Saturday a month rotation that would start with a ham flea market, then a couple surplus stores, including Halted's, HRO and the Heathkit store. I bought a couple of my first rigs there, and really enjoyed the fact that you could easily compare radios side by side there, on the air. We had another ham dealer much closer to us - Quement's in San Jose, and I bought too much stuff there, but HRO carried all the big names.

Even back in those 'golden years' of ham radio, the guy behind the counter could be more than a little cranky, but I think I know why. Hams are often just plain cheap, and they'll try about anything to get something at a discount or for free. It's got to grate on you after a while, when the customers treat you like a thief because they think the prices are too high, when in fact, the margins just aren't there for the dealer to make any money. HRO is to be admired for managing to stay in business in the face of so much Internet competition.

I was also sad to see AES go - I bought a few rigs from their Milwaukee store, too.

We are fortunate to have a good radio store here in Minnesota - Radio City in Mounds View, and I do try to make a regular contribution to their profits to keep them here as long as possible.

NQ6U
03-31-2017, 03:47 PM
I bought my first piece of real ham radio equipment—an assembled Heathkit SD-300 receiver—at the original HRO in Burlingame. I must have been around 14 years old. The guy was a bit grumpy but seemed to take a liking to my friend Bill and I for some reason.

KG4NEL
04-05-2017, 01:28 PM
Radio City in Mounds View

Mounds View, you say?

n2ize
12-14-2017, 04:06 PM
I find it bizarre that the guy would try and sell you the idea that "nobody uses balanced line" and "everyone uses coax". Plenty of hams I know (and have known) use balanced feed. I for one never even considered using coax for my HF antennas. I used balanced tuner/line from day 1 to the present.

WØTKX
12-14-2017, 04:52 PM
Balanced line is for well balanced hams.

WZ7U
12-15-2017, 01:09 AM
That explains the absence at this station location