PDA

View Full Version : International Crystal closing in May

N8YX
03-24-2017, 11:39 AM
Their announcement is all over the various newsgroups but it's worth mentioning and discussing here.

ICM had an extensive database of older amateur and commercial equipment, and the types of crystals (HET, BFO, fixed-channel, etc.) used by each. They would also do limited (single-quantity) runs of a given frequency.

Are there any other companies which will make crystals to order? If not, this is going to have a HUGE impact in the vintage gear and boat-anchor section of our community. I have a number of projects queued which require one or two custom crystals and I'm sure I'm not the only one.

WØTKX
03-24-2017, 11:46 AM
Time for all SDR, all the time.

I guess. Buy the company Fred!

Misfit Crystal Company.

KC2UGV
03-24-2017, 01:40 PM
I can't seem to find the crystal on this DDS board... :P

N8YX
03-24-2017, 01:46 PM
Time for all SDR, all the time.

If I wanted phase noise and the requisite DSP follow-on stages to clean it out of the passband, there's a number of candidate rigs which could replace my analog stuff. :lol:

One thing I've been considering - if a DDS chip with sufficiently minimal spurious products across its spectrum can be sourced - is the redesign of the HET oscillator section of a few rigs I have kicking around the shack. Rather than using discrete crystals for each band range, a DDS w/ control lines that utilizes existing band switch wiring could be used. Peaking/filter circuits could be implemented for each band, similar to that which is used for the purpose in the crystal oscillator designs. A rig such as the SB-104 will lend itself readily to this approach as the entire HFO assembly is located on one board. Others...might be more challenging.

N8YX
03-24-2017, 01:47 PM
I can't seem to find the crystal on this DDS board... :P

But I can certainly find the DDS board's IMD products on my spectrum analyzer ... ;)

WZ7U
03-24-2017, 02:02 PM
Misfit Crystal Company.

Best answer so far...

NQ6U
03-24-2017, 02:10 PM
Misfit Crystal Company.Best answer so far...

You gotta be kidding. All the frequencies would be off by a few KHz and the pins would fit no known holder. Misfits, you know…

WØTKX
03-24-2017, 04:02 PM
Maybe Dishtronix will pick 'em up.

NQ6U
03-24-2017, 09:54 PM
Maybe Dishtronix will pick 'em up.

Or MFJ.

WZ7U
03-25-2017, 02:14 AM
You gotta be kidding. All the frequencies would be off by a few KHz and the pins would fit no known holder. Misfits, you know…

So, you're saying you have no faith in Freds abilities? :shhh:

WØTKX
03-25-2017, 07:27 AM
https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/564x/2b/7c/3a/2b7c3a971a37dd29f4c7f593af193225.jpg

n2ize
03-28-2017, 06:52 AM
I probably have enough crystals to keep most of my boat anchors happy should the need for one arise.

W2NAP
03-28-2017, 09:25 AM
sure going to put some hurt on peeps with mastr II and old moto micors/msr

N8YX
03-28-2017, 12:06 PM
I emailed Jan and Bomar yesterday. Jan is no longer making them, and Bomar hasn't responded.

Currently in need of about half a dozen rocks for various projects, and the possibility of more to come.

I'll say the following: Whomever can provide a similar service as an adjunct to their current business operations (instead of making it their primary focus) and won't price themselves out of the amateur market eventually stands to make a killing in this space.

W2NAP
03-28-2017, 03:46 PM
bomar is not doing any two way radio stuff anymore.

kf0rt
03-28-2017, 04:36 PM
I emailed Jan and Bomar yesterday. Jan is no longer making them, and Bomar hasn't responded.

Currently in need of about half a dozen rocks for various projects, and the possibility of more to come.

I'll say the following: Whomever can provide a similar service as an adjunct to their current business operations (instead of making it their primary focus) and won't price themselves out of the amateur market eventually stands to make a killing in this space.

I wonder what kind of tooling that would take. Might be a challenge if it requires a lot of space.

WZ7U
03-28-2017, 10:24 PM
I bet my last heartbeat one of you smart guys could, if properly positioned, take over that niche and fill it beyond well.

Wouldn't that be friggin cool? - Island Crystals - and I could boast to anyone that gave a shit that I kinda knew the owner(s). In a generic sense. I guess. I dunno, I'll go shut up now.

K7SGJ
03-29-2017, 10:32 AM
I wonder what kind of tooling that would take. Might be a challenge if it requires a lot of space.

Swiss Army knife shout have just about everything.

N8YX
04-05-2017, 11:22 AM
There is hope:

http://www.quartslab.com/

An enquiry regarding their offerings will be tendered then if a favorable response is received I'm going to send a fair amount of project work their way.

KA2PTE
08-04-2020, 03:38 PM
How did Quartslab work out? I heard they are good do deal with.

N8YX
08-04-2020, 05:27 PM
How did Quartslab work out? I heard they are good do deal with.

I was very happy with them. Did a whole bunch of HET and Fixed Ch crystals for my FR-101s.

Next up will be some rocks for my various Kenwood '820 gear. Maybe for my SB-104 and FT-301 projects if I ever get around to those.

K4PIH
08-05-2020, 07:22 AM
Many years ago (back in the 80's) there were two old ladies making and selling crystals in Council Bluffs Iowa. I can't remember the company name, but we needed a lot of special crystals for Air Force stuff at Offutt AFB. Myself and a buddy would drive over to CB and have crystals made. These ladies made crystals during WWII when they were contributing to the war effort.