PDA

View Full Version : Trust Wouxun's KG-3 programming software?

WD8MMN
03-22-2017, 10:34 AM
I would like to transmit out of band (150+MHz), can you trust the programming software available on the net supplied by wouxun? I simply don't need a expensive brick! Thanks for any thoughts..I love the KG-6. WD8MMN...73

NQ6U
03-22-2017, 10:56 AM
Why do you want to transmit out of band?

KF2M
03-22-2017, 11:25 AM
Probably wants to xmit on the Marine Band.

NQ6U
03-22-2017, 11:57 AM
Probably wants to xmit on the Marine Band.

Speaking as a ham who lives on a sailboat, I'm not going to help him do that.

Marine VHF radios are required to be FCC type-approved. In addition, Wouxun and other inexpensive Chinese HTs are know to have significant problems with spurious emissions. On the ham bands, this is merely annoying. On the marine VHF band, it could be life-threatening if it causes interference to an emergency call.

KC2UGV
03-22-2017, 12:54 PM
I would like to transmit out of band (150+MHz), can you trust the programming software available on the net supplied by wouxun? I simply don't need a expensive brick! Thanks for any thoughts..I love the KG-6. WD8MMN...73

If you think a new Wouxun is expensive, you should check out the price the FCC charges for illegal operations!

Also, I do not believe I've seen an expensive Wouxun. I figure, at worst, give it a whirl. Which software "on the net" are you referring to?

WØTKX
03-22-2017, 01:07 PM
Anyway, first impressions are telling? :scratchchin:

N8YX
03-22-2017, 03:01 PM
Vertex/Standard/Horizon (Yaesu) offer a nice marine-band HT with the same form factor as the VX6-VX7. Batteries and other accessories are interchangeable and AFAIK it can be set up to transceive on the 2M amateur band.

Get yourself one of those if you're planning on operating on the VHF Marine allocation. Either by itself, or in combination with the VX-series HTs I mentioned. You only need take one charger and peripherals for both.

WZ7U
03-22-2017, 03:42 PM
Something to do with being a rent-a-cop maybe? The premise sounds fishy to me. Perhaps if the OP elaborates a bit, a more reasoned response is possible.