PDA

View Full Version : AT&T High Seas Station ... demolished

KG4CGC
01-13-2017, 05:13 PM
Looks like they're destroying another piece of HF history.

https://www.workboat.com/news/coastal-inland-waterways/historic-att-high-seas-radio-station-demolished/

The remains of shortwave radio station WOO — for decades the Atlantic coast hub of American Telephone & Telegraph’s high seas radio service — will likely disappear in the coming weeks.
The U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service with contractor Amec Foster Wheeler Environment & Infrastructure Inc., plans to remove more than 500 antennas and poles (http://www.nj.com/ocean/index.ssf/2017/01/odd_historical_pole_field_from_defunct_att_site_to .html#incart_river_home) that stud 222 acres of salt marsh on New Jersey’s Barnegat Bay.

NQ6U
01-13-2017, 05:26 PM
Too bad, but at least KPH, RCA's equivalent facility on the west coast, is still there.

KG4CGC
01-13-2017, 05:31 PM
Wouldn't you just love to scavenge some wire and aluminum? Maybe some other assorted parts?

NQ6U
01-13-2017, 05:36 PM
Wouldn't you just love to scavenge some wire and aluminum? Maybe some other assorted parts?

Aluminum, super heavy duty copper wire by the mile, tubes with handles. The possibilities are endless.

WZ7U
01-13-2017, 06:27 PM
tubes with handles

Aahhhh tubes

with handles

KG4CGC
01-13-2017, 06:34 PM
toobs

WZ7U
01-13-2017, 06:35 PM

A monster hell yeah!

W7XF
01-16-2017, 01:02 AM
toobs

You forget that a certain operator in Saanich, BC "heartidly" referred to the "toob woith handles".....

KG4CGC
01-16-2017, 01:40 AM
You forget that a certain operator in Saanich, BC "heartidly" referred to the "toob woith handles".....

A toob worthy of an engine hoist.

WZ7U
01-16-2017, 01:55 AM
I bet all the really good stuff went away years ago and all that's left is the junk

KG4CGC
01-16-2017, 02:58 AM
I bet all the really good stuff went away years ago and all that's left is the junk

Or remolish it in a smaller footprint as an AR station.

WZ7U
01-16-2017, 04:23 AM
The salt marsh would make one helluva good reflector........

A few poles for a 160 loop (probably nvis at that band), set up an inverted L.....

Yeah. Could be good

VE7DCW
01-16-2017, 04:44 PM
You can see the site is overgrown with vegetation and it does look like what's left of the station is the wire of the antenna's and the support poles and masts and a few utility electrical supply cables for the transmitter building.I can't really tell from the photograph,but it seems the windows are missing from the building which could mean that the transmitters and whatever associated electrical equipment may have been gutted long ago.......another sad footnote in the history of marine HF shore to ship and ship to shore telephone communications.......... :(

KG4CGC
01-16-2017, 09:14 PM
And I would have got away with it too if it weren't for you meddling kids.

KG4NEL
01-16-2017, 10:48 PM
Went the way of the Sterba curtains at the Greenville VOA site :(

W3WN
01-17-2017, 02:25 PM
Gee. US F&WS. Former antenna farm now being used as a wildlife sanctuary.

Sad to say, why is anyone surprised? From what I've read, they've been itching to do this for a long time, and now they've diverted money from the Hurricane Sandy clean-up funds to do just that.

What a waste. There's absolutely no reason the two can't peacefully co-exist, but try telling that to F&WS.

NQ6U
01-17-2017, 06:15 PM
Gee. US F&WS. Former antenna farm now being used as a wildlife sanctuary.

Sad to say, why is anyone surprised? From what I've read, they've been itching to do this for a long time, and now they've diverted money from the Hurricane Sandy clean-up funds to do just that.

What a waste. There's absolutely no reason the two can't peacefully co-exist, but try telling that to F&WS.

I don't understand your post; we're talking about an abandoned radio station that's not doing anyone any good. If it had been maintained, the way KPH has, then your argument would make some sense but it hasn't--it's nothing more than an abandoned building and some posts.