PDA

View Full Version : What I got for Christmas...

ad4mg
12-26-2016, 10:08 AM
In our immediate family, by agreement, the adults don't exchange Christmas gifts. We buy gifts for the children, and celebrate by gathering at my sister's house for breakfast.

OTOH, small trinkets and gag gifts are allowed. My favorite gift was from my wife. She proudly presented me with:

*** A box of hammers ***

Seriously. A couple of years ago, I gave to my son my Rick Mears special edition Snap-On tool box, with the hang-on side cabinet, all in pristine condition, and valued conservatively at about $14k (including the tools). Every specialty tool known to man was in that box. I spent 8-1/2 years spinning wrenches at a very successful automotive repair shop and had accumulated these tools over that span.

As I grew older, I used that fine collection of tools less and less, so I though it would better serve my son, who, like myself, is an incurable tinkerer. The only thing I missed from that set of tools was a decent hammer. Oh, I bought myself a set of Cobalt wrenches, socket sets, and screwdrivers for everyday use, but the only hammer in the house was a tiny finishing hammer my wife had in her toolbox. I believe it weighed approximately .0025 ounces.

Being the curmudgeon that I am, I frequently pissed and moaned about not having a decent hammer, and I often used a Ridgid 18" pipe wrench as a hammer.

This the story ends with my wife presenting me literally with a box of hammers for Christmas. I wondered for weeks what that present contained that was so damned heavy! And yes, they were Cobalt hammers!

Hope everyone had a nice Christmas! :)

KC2UGV
12-26-2016, 10:35 AM
Hahahaha That sounds like something my wife would do :)

This year, I've been complaining that none of my shirts fit anymore (I've shrunk considerably). She ended up buying me like 10 shirts :P

NQ6U
12-26-2016, 10:44 AM
Maybe she was just trying to tell you something... :mrgreen:

http://www.bunchofdorks.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/07/bag+of+hammers+005a-274x300.jpg

N8YX
12-26-2016, 11:55 AM
^^^ :rofl: ^^^

I got a few inexpensive but thoughtful things from my known associates: Framed picture of the two of us from one, and a tin of Christmas cookies (in a hand painted tin) from her mother. Another got me some hiking socks, a roaster oven (they all love my cooking) and a FleaBay gift card (dangerous!).

I also decided to treat myself to something this year, along with a birthday present. Those happened to come from the same seller: An FC-902 antenna tuner which matches the '902DM I'm restoring, and a fairly rare YR-901 RTTY/CW terminal that also matches the lineup.

Best part of it all was hanging out with people who enjoy my company, instead of doing the obligation/in-law bit.

KK4AMI
12-26-2016, 11:56 AM
Gives new meaning to "getting hammered over the holidays", but I guess it works!

I got two pair of Duluth "Dry on the Fly" pants for fishing. Hmm, at my age "Dry on the Fly" could serve many purposes.

KC9ECI
12-26-2016, 12:04 PM
I don't want Christmas gifts, I don't want to give Christmas gifts. I give the wife money and tell her to get the kids stuff. At my company Christmas party, I drink a couple gallons of beer and whatever gift card(s) I get I give to SWMBO. If I want something, I buy it myself. This year I got in the area of 2K worth of brewing stuff. Oh, and seeing as she and I have been together for 20 years in February, I got us a trip to Italy and we're leaving the kids at home.

KG4CGC
12-26-2016, 12:25 PM
Nothing quite as colorful although December has been the month of gift.
Water heater early on, Mrs. KG4CGC gifted me with as well as some plumbing supplies and plumbing accessories. I chased down leaks between the water heater and the kitchen because I believe it was December 7th that we received the blessing of a lightning strike (somewhere) which traveled through the buried water lines. Apparently I wasn't the only one receiving blessings that week. On the bright side, we got our 15 years out of that thing after it was installed and never touched again since. Apparently, you're supposed to replace the elements (electric) every 5 years. Who gnu?

Last Tuesday while doing laundry ... the dryer just came to a dead stop. I got out my trusty Fluke type 87a and traced down the lack of electron flow to an overheat sensor. This was a Whirlpool Heavy Duty blah blah blah purchased in 2005. The problem was that I couldn't just replace the sensor but I could replace the whole timer unit, of which the sensor was located inside of, if I could find one. Local parts houses were not having it. Nah uh! Not one bit. The whole timer unit could be ordered but it could take 2 weeks or longer. Now keep in mind that after cooling down the sensor it still would not allow the tricky bastard electrons to flow and even though Mrs. KG4CGC didn't know anything beyond "I was working on it" she showed up an hour later with a new dryer AND WASHER in the truck.
I will say this, today's washers are gravity compromised. I was expecting a battle moving the new washer after having moved the old one out. Having the new units installed (top load washer) they certainly don't beat the water in the tub like they did in days of yore. A couple of swishes, soak, a couple of swishes, soak and they do it with less water. After the spin cycle the clothes are so centrifugally enhanced that the dry time is reduced orders of magnitude. My hope now is that these units will pay for themselves with reduced operating costs.

The next day I was tasked with hauling off the old units to the recyclers. The dryer, well, not much to it. I just put it on the truck after reducing the cardboard the new units came in to horizontal flatness. Much like a book. The washer, with it's malbalanced motor placement was a different story. After spending perhaps 20 minutes using Isaac Newton's Laws, I still couldn't get that fat bastard loaded on the truck. What ended up happening on my part was nothing short of sheer force of will as I grasped the guilty bastard in a half squat and placed it across my thighs as though I was to commence spanking its backside. Between the forward thigh thrust and the upward force exerted by what I believe now to be my face, I was finally able to close the tailgate and roll on down the road.
Did I mention I had no help unloading it?

KC9ECI
12-26-2016, 12:42 PM
Water heater is on my list. Started to occasionally trip the breaker (on the unit). Simple enough to press and reset. Contacted the MFG for a replacement. No longer made for my vintage 1979 heater. Been to Menards and looked at a few. Will probably pick one up on the 4th or 5th and get it downstairs and ready to go. Got a little surgical thing going on Friday and then a week off work in which I will do the plumbing.

NQ6U
12-26-2016, 01:12 PM
I got a Christmas morning surprise of osprey shit all over my boat. Bastard likes to sit on the masthead of the boat in the next slip and crap on mine all night long. It took me an hour with deck brush, a bucket of boat wash and a garden hose to clean it up.

I have a .22 up in my storage locker, I wonder how roast osprey would taste...

KG4CGC
12-26-2016, 01:34 PM
I got a Christmas morning surprise of osprey shit all over my boat. Bastard likes to sit on the masthead of the boat in the next slip and crap on mine all night long. It took me an hour with deck brush, a bucket of boat wash and a garden hose to clean it up.

I have a .22 up in my storage locker, I wonder how roast osprey would taste...

http://i25.photobucket.com/albums/c79/bebop5/Z-bird%20poop_part2_zpsz1c3bhtq.jpg

NQ6U
12-26-2016, 02:27 PM
Sort of like that, yeah, except fewer but larger poops.

KG4CGC
12-26-2016, 02:40 PM
Sort of like that, yeah, except fewer but larger poops.

The white of the boat hides the individual volume of each poop. That's my guess.

PA5COR
12-26-2016, 04:03 PM
My son bought 2 lottery tickets for each one of us one.
We'll share the price if ever one falls on a ticket though...
Not keeping my breath.

KD8TUT
12-26-2016, 04:53 PM
Thankfully, my family actually pays attention to me. Lately because of the diabetes medication my hands and feet get cold.

So for Christmas I got all kinds of insulated socks along with a hefty pair of thinsulate gloves.

Wonderful!

KC2KFC
12-27-2016, 10:17 AM
My wife gave me a very nice Olympia Traveller DeLuxe typewriter to add to my growing collection. It was manufactured in the 1960's, and looks like something a secretary at Spacely Sprockets would've used.

KC2UGV
12-27-2016, 11:25 AM
My wife gave me a very nice Olympia Traveller DeLuxe typewriter to add to my growing collection. It was manufactured in the 1960's, and looks like something a secretary at Spacely Sprockets would've used.

NICE!

I've been kicking around the idea of buying myself a Selectrix...

kf0rt
12-27-2016, 04:27 PM
Selectric? My Dad got one of those new in the 70's. Still works.

KG4CGC
12-27-2016, 09:57 PM
ROB!

WZ7U
12-27-2016, 10:08 PM
There's that dude!

WØTKX
12-27-2016, 10:58 PM
*** A box of hammers ***

I just can't help myself... :mrgreen:

https://youtu.be/uNWnSbANjeA

KC2KFC
12-29-2016, 05:13 AM
Selectric? My Dad got one of those new in the 70's. Still works.

I picked up a nice IBM Selectric II at an estate sale, a few weeks ago, in working condition, for the princely sum of $15.

I write short stories, mysteries, for a hobby and I like writing on a manual typewriter. The Selectric will be put on display with the rest of my collection.

kf0rt
12-29-2016, 06:25 AM
Heya Charles!

W3WN
12-29-2016, 07:25 AM
Well, the Boss got a lot of nice stuff, including a new Pirates jersey she really wanted.

Little Miss Field Day got a lot of nice stuff, including a Hamilton wall calendar for 2017, which came as a total and pleasant surprise.

I got socks.

(Well, I also got myself a 2017 ARRL Handbook at the same time I ordered the Hamilton calendar & a related book about the Broadway play, but they don't know that)

I was hoping to buy a small amp, but the Boss overspent on toys for the grandkids, which drained just enough funds to put me under the threshold. But I have some shekels set aside now; I'll add to it over the next few weeks, paycheck by paycheck, and by WASHFest 2017, I should have enough.

KK4AMI
12-29-2016, 07:34 AM
Well, the Boss got a lot of nice stuff, including a new Pirates jersey she really wanted.

Little Miss Field Day got a lot of nice stuff, including a Hamilton wall calendar for 2017, which came as a total and pleasant surprise.

I got socks.

(Well, I also got myself a 2017 ARRL Handbook at the same time I ordered the Hamilton calendar & a related book about the Broadway play, but they don't know that)

I was hoping to buy a small amp, but the Boss overspent on toys for the grandkids, which drained just enough funds to put me under the threshold. But I have some shekels set aside now; I'll add to it over the next few weeks, paycheck by paycheck, and by WASHFest 2017, I should have enough.

Just keep humming Carly Simon's "Anticipation". That is what I do. It'll make the wait that much more rewarding.

W3WN
12-29-2016, 07:41 AM
Just keep humming Carly Simon's "Anticipation". That is what I do. It'll make the wait that much more rewarding.Thanks, but... No.

I like, strongly prefer actually, Heinz Ketchup, but I'm not humming or singing any of their commercials.

KK4AMI
12-29-2016, 10:26 AM
Thanks, but... No.

I like, strongly prefer actually, Heinz Ketchup, but I'm not humming or singing any of their commercials.

My days of humming for regular ketchup are over. We only buy the low carb, no sugar, no fructose stuff (basically just vinegar with a tomato floating in it.) I am being turned into a mustard and horse radish man.

W3WN
12-29-2016, 12:27 PM
Funny you should mention that...

Years ago, the old, old sitcom "My Three Sons" had an episode where one of the sons was playing psychological-type pranks (if memory serves, for a school project) on his father and "Uncle Charlie".

At one point, the boy(s) added a lot of sugar to the ketchup bottle. Then at dinner, they tried to hornswoggle Uncle Charlie into believing that the tomato crop was sweeter this year... and Dad looks right at them with a Don't-BS-Me look and says "Who put sugar in the ketchup?"

Only thing is, since then, it's not a joke. Amazing, and sad, how many food items have had sugar added to them, over the last few decades.

NA4BH
12-29-2016, 10:30 PM
From Wikipedia:

In the 17th century, the Chinese mixed a concoction of pickled fish and spices and called it (in the Amoy dialect) kôe-chiap or kê-chiap (鮭汁, Mandarin Chinese guī zhī, Cantonese gwai1 zap1) meaning the brine of pickled fish (鮭, salmon; 汁, juice) or shellfish. By the early 18th century, the table sauce had made it to the Malay states (present day Malaysia and Singapore), where it was tasted by English colonists. The Indonesian-Malay word for the sauce was kecap (pronounced "kay-chap"). That word evolved into the English word "ketchup". English settlers then took ketchup with them to the American colonies.

The term Ketchup was used in 1690 in the Dictionary of the Canting Crew which was well acclaimed in North America. The spelling "catchup" may have also been used in the past.

KG4CGC
12-30-2016, 12:49 AM
Teh Got Fodda has spoken.

ka8ncr
12-30-2016, 10:17 AM
I received a Notice of Inquiry from the FCC.

And the XYL bought me a new computer, so that'll come in handy when I respond.

W3WN
12-30-2016, 11:29 AM
I received a Notice of Inquiry from the FCC.

And the XYL bought me a new computer, so that'll come in handy when I respond.OK, I'll bite. Why did the FCC send you an NOI?

WZ7U
12-30-2016, 05:31 PM
Inquiring minds want to NO, right? :rofl: N.O.I.

No, I hope it's nothing serious

WØTKX
12-30-2016, 06:27 PM
I'm guessing it's about noise/interference to his station, not from him.

It's not a NOV or NAL, Mmmmkay? Snarky or not. ;)

KG4CGC
12-30-2016, 10:00 PM
http://i25.photobucket.com/albums/c79/bebop5/Z-Vader_zpszktsm7cm.jpg

WZ7U
12-30-2016, 11:06 PM
I got a barbecue for christmas........nothing to put on it yet, but I got da Que!

it's all I got....:bbh:

KB3LAZ
12-31-2016, 07:04 AM
I got a box of rocks.

WØTKX
12-31-2016, 10:03 AM
https://media.tenor.co/images/730b594b2749bff9a71dfca54566d54a/raw

KB3LAZ
12-31-2016, 10:12 AM
https://media.tenor.co/images/730b594b2749bff9a71dfca54566d54a/raw

I actually prefer sharpening them to using them, thus the natural stones. But I do like having a few good kitchen knives. I got tired of soft Euro steel that would not hold an edge so I got my first Gyuto last year and have never looked back. French carbon is fine too as it will take a nice edge but it loses it just as fast...

The knives in the background are my wife's knives. So-so steel (AUS-8 ) but still holds an edge better than something like a Victorinox and they don't scare her like my knives do. Plus she does not care for carbon steel due to the amount of care it takes. Plus she finds knives that patina to be ugly.

PA5COR
12-31-2016, 05:43 PM
Using Al-Mar, Spyderco Police, and SOG specialty knife ( small and larger one), Buck cross lock knife.
For daily use Boker USA i once got from someone long time back.

Kitchen knifes all from my father in law,s kitchen in his shop, All professional knives,and one old Victorinx i already had.
Sharpen them myself, never have a problem, just take good care of them.

WØTKX
12-31-2016, 06:12 PM
Harold and Maude, still one of the best dark humor movies, EVER!

NQ6U
12-31-2016, 07:51 PM
Harold and Maude, still one of the best dark humor movies, EVER!

The film that caused the city council of Hillsborough, CA (a suburb of San Francisco and one of the wealthiest towns in the US), to ban all movie shoots within the city limits from then on.

KB3LAZ
01-01-2017, 12:41 AM
Using Al-Mar, Spyderco Police, and SOG specialty knife ( small and larger one), Buck cross lock knife.
For daily use Boker USA i once got from someone long time back.

Kitchen knifes all from my father in law,s kitchen in his shop, All professional knives,and one old Victorinx i already had.
Sharpen them myself, never have a problem, just take good care of them.

I just fell in love with knife and tool sharpening. I find it quite relaxing! I have been collecting natural stones over the past couple of years from a number of countries. I even got into straight razor shaving and sharpening. I find that I like Japanese natural stones the best because they smell of earth with you use them and they have a good feel about them when you use them. Though some of the coarser stones do have a more clay like mud rather than something thinner, which drys out my hands. It has been a neat experience.

I have also found that I like carbon steel because of the character gained with use, IE patina. I like to watch it change color depending on what I cut. From blue, to grey etc. It is also interesting to see how different grades of carbon steel react. Cheaper grade steel will turn your onions black, for example and smells of sulfur, no good! Now, I am sure this is nothing new to many of the older generation but it is like a trip to the past for me!

KG4NEL
01-16-2017, 10:54 PM
Finally got some of my Christmas presents to myself working.

https://scontent-iad3-1.xx.fbcdn.net/v/t1.0-9/16105682_10105173136170503_588404371118339393_n.jp g?oh=075b735fb8ea9e120c8e2d35827eb8e4&oe=591C61C1

https://scontent-iad3-1.xx.fbcdn.net/v/t31.0-8/s960x960/15972821_10105173136719403_644028126625317666_o.jp g?oh=02c6a4992362a024092bcbc3a70f0775&oe=59119539

https://scontent-iad3-1.xx.fbcdn.net/v/t1.0-9/16114764_10105173136699443_1891255612874568260_n.j pg?oh=48fda53a13f4f5e06d05ce91ded1b8d9&oe=591558F3

https://scontent-iad3-1.xx.fbcdn.net/v/t1.0-9/16002887_10105173136305233_8803541632113588455_n.j pg?oh=7acb4c182c4458c11a7f9d00ad740172&oe=590EC026

I guess it's a gas/electric hybrid now, although only for 100 feet at a time and very slowly.

KG4CGC
01-17-2017, 01:19 AM
That's gonna save ya sum gas.

PA5COR
01-17-2017, 08:02 AM
Looked in my collection and forgot about the Puma 915 lockblade Emperor, handmade stainless steel, i can get a razor sharp edge on it, long lasting for a stainless steel blade.
From our hollidays in France a few Opinel folding pocket knives, a smaller one and their largest one, Carbon steel, razor sharp, but when used losing that sharpness faster as the other blades.
Wooden handles and unique ring on the front to turn, locking the blade.

Not doing any collecting anymore, just keeping the ones i have and usig mostly one, a French multi tool with 2 knife blades and lots of tools which by design feel better in the hand using it as the usual tools.
Was made for boating and quite cheap ( around 70 Euro's).
Tools really lock with on both sides releases for the blocked tools.

One leatherman tool has a place in my gun carry case, permanently resides there.
As do an assorted set of tools to clean one of the handguns on the firing range or get a stuck cartridge case out of a pistol with a bronze rod.
I'm seen as an sort of gun buff on the range, if one has problems with the gun go to me i mostly can help.....;)
We do have an weapon maintenance room there, air compressor etc gun oil all is there.
Most military guns or standard guns can do with standard taking apart and a good clean, but the target pistols and rifles with more intricate trigger systems need better cleaning.

That is another hobby horse...;)