PDA

View Full Version : Looking for another rig

X-Rated
12-07-2016, 07:16 AM
I won't be back to the computer for a while but I thought I would ask about opinions on a new HF radio.

It's gotta have great CW functionality. I'd like to spend under a grand but a little over would probably work for the right option.

FT-991. Thinking hard about the non-A version. Looks like there have been more than a few complaints about it blowing up. I like the specs but the burning up scares me.

FT-1000MP. What can I say? Great radio. I know that much. I never owned a new rig before because I have always been too broke so buying another used radio is no big deal if it performs great.

TS-870S. I saw this on YouTube and the sound seems pretty incredible.

IC-7300. For the WOW factor, this takes the cake short of much more expensive radios. But A) I don't really want to spend over 1k and B) the bad publicity on the IC7100 scares me for not functioning well.

Anyway, I may end up getting something cheap like a Xiegu. Gotta get me something for Xmas.

Thanks in advance.

N8YX
12-07-2016, 09:54 AM
CW functionality...does it have to be new, and does it have to be in the 100w class?

Omni VI+ or Opt3, Omni VII, Cubic Astro 103 - those rigs have excellent CW performance.

Heathkit HR-1680 + HX-1681 + HP-23C + HS-1661 = a CW-only, full break-in hybrid station. Perfect for SKN.

Let me clear off the Vintage Junque bench and see about a few others...

X-Rated
12-07-2016, 05:28 PM
CW functionality...does it have to be new, and does it have to be in the 100w class?

Omni VI+ or Opt3, Omni VII, Cubic Astro 103 - those rigs have excellent CW performance.

Heathkit HR-1680 + HX-1681 + HP-23C + HS-1661 = a CW-only, full break-in hybrid station. Perfect for SKN.

Let me clear off the Vintage Junque bench and see about a few others...

Thanks Fred. The omni vi plus sounds great. I can start my search for them. Tentec supposedly has lower noise oscillator and amps than do the competition. I will look at the others. I don't mind something used. Just looking for something dependable and performs well.

N8YX
12-07-2016, 06:13 PM
I love my Omni VI, Jerry - though it remains to be seen if Dishop's incarnation of Ten-Tec will service them.

(To me it's a non-issue. I can handle anything in the way of repairs and sourcing parts that might be required, but this might not be true with other owners.)

A Corsair II is another good choice. I have a couple of N4YG's DDS VFO kits that are eventually going to make their way into both of mine. PTO drift isn't a big deal for the CW op but mechanical problems with the tuning mechanism most assuredly will be if you can't get rebuild kits from Ten-Tec.

KC2UGV
12-07-2016, 07:10 PM
I'd personally go with the Xiegu. That looks like one neat damned toy there. And, from what I've heard, it's a full SDR in it's guts, and therefore subject to much modding (Can you say Codec2?)

N8YX
12-07-2016, 07:50 PM
I'd personally go with the Xiegu. That looks like one neat damned toy there. And, from what I've heard, it's a full SDR in it's guts, and therefore subject to much modding (Can you say Codec2?)

I would love a waterproof, remote-able head version of that radio for use on my bicycles.

KC2UGV
12-07-2016, 08:25 PM
I would love a waterproof, remote-able head version of that radio for use on my bicycles.

Like the FTR-10? I'm sad they discontinued that.

WØTKX
12-07-2016, 09:29 PM
Yea, if it is CW only, a good 'ol used Ten Tec is amazing.
My Omni-D's and Corsair "One" are freaky great on CW.

The Yaesu MP's kick ass, especially when modded.

Why buy new? Well, maybe in SDR land.

Or Elecraft.

N8YX
12-07-2016, 10:45 PM
Like the FTR-10? I'm sad they discontinued that.

Every year at Dayton saw me haranguing them with the same comments:

Built that rig in a 10M-440MHz version (including 222) and I'll buy 5 right now.

I have four at the moment. Three on current motorcycles, one in reserve for a future dual-sport.

X-Rated
12-08-2016, 07:45 AM

I am leaning heavily towards the Xiegu. Sounds pretty interesting. They still have the FT-991's in stock at HRO as well for under $900. I need to see if I can get the dosh appropriated for the expense first. I will probably be flipping a coin or watch more YouTube videos going, "Oh, I want this one. No wait. I want this one."

K7SGJ
12-08-2016, 09:48 AM
I am leaning heavily towards the Xiegu. Sounds pretty interesting. They still have the FT-991's in stock at HRO as well for under $900. I need to see if I can get the dosh appropriated for the expense first. I will probably be flipping a coin or watch more YouTube videos going, "Oh, I want this one. No wait. I want this one."

Don't flip the watch, do the coin.

X-Rated
12-08-2016, 10:38 AM
Don't flip the watch, do the coin.
Good call. I wouldn't want to nick my Rolex.

ka4dpo
12-08-2016, 12:53 PM
Don't forget Elecraft.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/U1785-USED-ELECRAFT-KX3-ULTRA-PORTABLE-HF-VHF-AMATEUR-HAM-RADIO-TRANSCEIVER-/232166492491?hash=item360e33894b:g:UbkAAOSwcUBYR0W O

N8YX
12-08-2016, 12:57 PM
Don't forget Elecraft.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/U1785-USED-ELECRAFT-KX3-ULTRA-PORTABLE-HF-VHF-AMATEUR-HAM-RADIO-TRANSCEIVER-/232166492491?hash=item360e33894b:g:UbkAAOSwcUBYR0W O

That, or a K2/100 can be had fairly reasonably.

KC9ECI
12-08-2016, 11:52 PM
The KX3 is a solid radio. I bought one new last year, fully loaded. Took it out on a trip to the UK and had a blast. Also had it camping a few times and one weekend kayak trip on the Mississippi. Probably won't take it kayaking again, honestly by the time I got set up on the island for the overnight, I was more interested in the campfire and the single malt. I digress. KX3, great radio, built in PSK/RTTY that can be sent via Morse code and paddle.

N8YX
12-09-2016, 11:16 AM
Nice to see you posting again, Tom.

There are a couple of companies making add-ons for the KX3 - heat sinks, chassis extensions, covers...did you put any of that on yours?

KC9ECI
12-10-2016, 02:17 PM
Nice to see you posting again, Tom.

There are a couple of companies making add-ons for the KX3 - heat sinks, chassis extensions, covers...did you put any of that on yours?

Not a bit of it yet. It's tempting though. I really like the plastic cover and the side extensions. I normally never run much power so I haven't seen it get too warm yet.

X-Rated
12-11-2016, 01:55 AM
Not a bit of it yet. It's tempting though. I really like the plastic cover and the side extensions. I normally never run much power so I haven't seen it get too warm yet.

So you're the Chief now? Congratulations.

KC9ECI
12-11-2016, 10:57 AM
So you're the Chief now? Congratulations.

Have been for the last three years. Just got re-elected the other evening for another two year term, and then I'm going to retire from it. Think I may have set a record, held an annual meeting with election of officers start to finish was 6 minutes. Spent 1.2M on new apparatus this year, taking delivery of a new engine sometime in January and a new ladder truck some time in February. Cutting a deal this week for a new Chevy 3500 brush truck. Don't find a lot of time to be playing radio or hanging around forums these days.

KG4CGC
12-11-2016, 05:47 PM
Have been for the last three years. Just got re-elected the other evening for another two year term, and then I'm going to retire from it. Think I may have set a record, held an annual meeting with election of officers start to finish was 6 minutes. Spent 1.2M on new apparatus this year, taking delivery of a new engine sometime in January and a new ladder truck some time in February. Cutting a deal this week for a new Chevy 3500 brush truck. Don't find a lot of time to be playing radio or hanging around forums these days.

Keep up the good work. Your community appreciates your efforts. At least I hope they do and I hope they don't actually have to find out.

Recent wildfires here really put everyone to the test. FFs here ran 24/7 on 4 hours of sleep.

X-Rated
12-12-2016, 05:29 PM
Keep up the good work. Your community appreciates your efforts. At least I hope they do and I hope they don't actually have to find out.

Recent wildfires here really put everyone to the test. FFs here ran 24/7 on 4 hours of sleep.

Thinking about you a lot, Charles. Hope you are well.

X-Rated
12-12-2016, 05:41 PM
Well the C4 in the FM drew me in that direction. I thought experimenting with the C4FM would be fun, possibly. I just got off the horn with HRO and they are shipping my rig from Milwaukee today. I viewed the YouTube videos and thought I would try a new rig. I thought about some of the older rigs but the FT-1000MP's are usually being sold without the filters and that makes them quite pricey whereas the FT-991 requires no more filtering. HRO has a $60 off price and then Yaesu has $120 on rebate that I can get in a few years. Anyway, I'll see how I like my very first brand new HF rig.

KG4CGC
12-12-2016, 05:49 PM
Thinking about you a lot, Charles. Hope you are well.

Thank you, Jerry. All is well. I was about 20 miles (as a crow flies) from the nearest fire. The non rain conditions finally broke in November after a dry Summer and Fall.
Two weeks ago Wednesday a had hard storm with weak tornadoes blow through the area. Killed my plumbing for some reason and sprung a leak that eventually led to me replacing the water heater. I have become fluid in plumbing PEX now but the funny thing about it is that 2 other neighbors also lost their water heaters during the storm. Right before the storm, everything fine. After it passed 3 of us had leaking water heaters. Mine was 15 years old and never been serviced. One neighbor's was 3 years old and the other 5 years.

KC9ECI
12-12-2016, 06:55 PM
Sounds like you were a bit too close for comfort there. Glad you came out OK other than your plumbing.

KG4CGC
12-13-2016, 03:30 AM
Sounds like you were a bit too close for comfort there. Glad you came out OK other than your plumbing.

That's the closet I've ever to a wildfire and I did try to get some photos of it while staying out of the way. Was not easy.

Pinnacle Mountain right beside Table Rock.
http://i25.photobucket.com/albums/c79/bebop5/BAT%20CAVE/000016-C_zpsoxma5qlh.jpg

Lake Lure NC and Gatlinburg got it so much worse.

KC9ECI
12-13-2016, 06:34 PM
I'm not a fan of wildfires. It takes surprisingly little for something to end you. I don't get to do the fun stuff anymore, but I am occasionally allowed to get near the fire if I ask the probies nicely. Mostly I just wander about trying to look pretty and swearing at people. That's my story anyway, I'll stick to it. Pic is a training burn.

http://i.imgur.com/N4iJAjU.jpg

WZ7U
12-13-2016, 11:23 PM
I've got a place I'd like the FD to train on except they will tell me it's too close to the main house and tree cover to allow this. :doh: Now I have to demo the old fashioned way.

Thank you for your service to community sir! :clap:

KC9ECI
12-14-2016, 05:08 PM
I can think of a lot of places around here I'd like to train at. Might actually have an opportunity to train at a 50's style motel. If the deal goes through the police will get to do some active shooter training there first (I've asked if I can play a shooter) and then afterwards we'll do the live fire training. If the timing is right it should be right after we take delivery of our new engine and 107' ladder truck.