PDA

View Full Version : Ten Tec Update

W3WN
11-22-2016, 08:47 AM
Mike Dishop N8WFF posted a long update to the Ten Tec reflector yesterday, discussing the current status. Some of the highlights:

- Their current location is too small for their needs, so they are currently in the process of moving to new quarters.

- Because of the booming tourist trade in the Sevier County area, prices for commercial real estate are 'sky high', which is why finding a new home has taken so long.

- The Service department is not taking additional rigs in for repair RIGHT NOW, but will do so as soon as the move is complete... simply because they don't want to move rigs in for repair along with everything else

- Right now, Service is only handling things via email, Tuesday through Thursday (the cash flow doesn't support M - F yet), and they are swamped. Patience is requested, and Mike is taking some steps to alleviate the issues.

- They have resumed doing their PC Board work internally

- As many have speculated, they have been very busy with a commercial order for the RX340, proceeds of which have paid the bills for the new equipment they have acquired

- If you'd like an RX340, they are available right now on "short notice"

- New radios are on the horizon, but still in the design phase

- And finally, Mike would like to know if anyone is still interested in buying a Ten Tec Eagle. It looks like a production run of at least 100 Eagle's is about to take place.

I'm skipping a lot of detail here. And, to be honest, some ranting from Mike about , well, let's just say some political things in TN.

Suffice to say, Mike has made a commitment, and is spending his time running the company (along with Alpha, which is again a separate company from Ten Tec) and trying to put it back together. In short, he's busier than a one legged man in a mule kicking contest.

And Fred, I know how you feel about the availability of parts for the older rigs -- as the owner of a Corsair II and an Omni VI+, trust me when I say you're not alone in your concerns. Mike has previously stated that they WILL repair older equipment as long as the parts are available. Sadly, RKR sold off most of the spare parts for the older stuff during the fire sale. (There was a rumor that a local ham bought most of it and stuffed an old barn full of it. If that rumor is more or less true, it would be nice if Mike could re-acquire most or all of it, especially once they've relocated. If it's true)

In short: They're not out of the woods, yet. And they're not quite building Ham rigs yet. But they're almost there.

N8YX
11-22-2016, 05:03 PM
I'd really like to see a matching transmitter for the RX-340. Make it akin to the Harris RF-1310A, but in a higher-powered configuration.

The Harris line is another ensemble I've been thinking about acquiring for a while but I'll seriously reconsider if Ten-Tec comes out with something.

W2NAP
11-24-2016, 02:18 PM
hell they should just move the shit up here to Indiana, plenty of cheap property here

W3WN
11-24-2016, 02:52 PM
hell they should just move the shit up here to Indiana, plenty of cheap property here
If Mike were to move the company out of state, my guess is that the first choice would be to OH, adjacent to the existing Dishtronix building, wherever that actually is in Bellfontaine.

Some TN hams on the Ten Tec reflector suggested he look at property in an adjoining county, if Sevier County doesn't want to work with him.

We shall see.

W2NAP
11-24-2016, 05:12 PM
If Mike were to move the company out of state, my guess is that the first choice would be to OH, adjacent to the existing Dishtronix building, wherever that actually is in Bellfontaine.

Some TN hams on the Ten Tec reflector suggested he look at property in an adjoining county, if Sevier County doesn't want to work with him.

We shall see.

of course tax rates ect ect come into play. but I know here we got plenty of buildings empty, so the guy could move all productions over here, but lots to consider when moving.

ka8ncr
11-27-2016, 06:20 PM
The high water mark for radios is Elecraft, not what Kenwood or Yaesu or Icom is up to. Make a radio like that, and I'm ready to buy. I can buy a decent SDR for $150, $250 if I want it on the network, and $5000 if I want to go all in. Make a radio that does that, and can operate beyond the PC and my Apple budget becomes yours.

KG4NEL
11-27-2016, 07:28 PM
Likewise, my next radio will be a KX3 (and a $130 SDRPlay).

KC2UGV
12-06-2016, 09:01 AM

But the problem with that?

It's Indiana.

W2NAP
12-06-2016, 12:29 PM
But the problem with that?

It's Indiana.

so. its a rather cheap state to live.

also if they were to move very local to me, maybe id slide into a job with them

KC2UGV
12-06-2016, 12:47 PM
so. its a rather cheap state to live.

also if they were to move very local to me, maybe id slide into a job with them

Do you understand why it's cheap to live there? (Hint, something something price determined by supply and demand).

KG4CGC
12-06-2016, 04:32 PM
Thanks for the updates and just being awesome in general, Ron.

N8YX
12-06-2016, 05:49 PM
Do you understand why it's cheap to live there? (Hint, something something price determined by supply and demand).
Cheap (and/or remote) places to live plus telecommuting are definitely the way to go, if you can get a gig which supports and allows it.

Tangible-goods fabrication and handling isn't one of those.

KC2UGV
12-06-2016, 07:34 PM
Cheap (and/or remote) places to live plus telecommuting are definitely the way to go, if you can get a gig which supports and allows it.

Tangible-goods fabrication and handling isn't one of those.

Exactamundo!

WØTKX
12-06-2016, 09:32 PM
Gawd yes. 90% of my job could be handled via telecommuting.

But no, it's all about hands on at the cubicle nonsense.

WZ7U
12-07-2016, 12:30 AM
Gawd yes. 90% of my job could be handled via telecommuting.

But no, it's all about hands on at the cubicle nonsense.

^THAT^ is exactly why I want to develop a home based "cubicle" that doesn't require a bunch of nerds eggheads polluting my personal space, doing something with CAD*

(*so I can justify getting this degree I'm working towards)

KG4CGC
12-07-2016, 12:57 AM
^THAT^ is exactly why I want to develop a home based "cubicle" that doesn't require a bunch of nerds eggheads polluting my personal space, doing something with CAD*

And justify the need for a mega thousand dollar home computer!

KG4NEL
12-07-2016, 02:00 AM

Could be worse, the degree(s) I'm working towards will probably involve people bleeding and/or peeing on me at least part of the time.

KG4CGC
12-07-2016, 02:02 AM
Could be worse, the degree(s) I'm working towards will probably involve people bleeding and/or peeing on me at least part of the time.

There's always been money in blood and piss.

WZ7U
12-07-2016, 03:16 AM
Why draw it when you can wallow in it?

KK4AMI
12-07-2016, 08:22 AM

My wife just said not to forget puke, poop, snot, cough (virus, bacteria) and her all time favorite pus. But remember there is good job security!