PDA

View Full Version : RIP Napoleon Solo, The Man From U.N.C.L.E

W5BRM
11-12-2016, 08:02 AM
http://mobile.nytimes.com/2016/11/12/arts/television/robert-vaughn-dead.html

Robert Vaughn, the cleft-chinned actor who reached the peak of his fame in the 1960s playing Napoleon Solo, the debonair international agent tasked with saving the world each week on the hit television series “The Man From U.N.C.L.E.,” died on Friday in Danbury, Conn. He was 83.

His manager, Matthew Sullivan, said that the cause was acute leukemia, for which Mr. Vaughn had been under treatment in Manhattan and Connecticut.

Never saw much of UNCLE but enjoyed other things he did.

Didn't know he was so prolific in his early acting career and politically active.

PA5COR
11-12-2016, 10:33 AM
Remember him from the series the man from UNCLE.
God, i'm getting old....
R.I.P. Robert...

WZ7U
11-12-2016, 03:52 PM
Trivia question; anyone remember what the acronym U.N.C.L.E. stood for? No fair using google.

RIP Mr. Vaughn. I remember his stuff and always liked him. I must be getting long teeth too....

shit

kb2vxa
11-12-2016, 05:49 PM
United Network Command for Law and Enforcement. I used DuckDuckGo. <razz>

HUGH
11-13-2016, 07:46 AM
It seems not long ago here was here starring in the BBC tv series "Hustle".

KK4AMI
11-13-2016, 09:14 AM
He had been doing Marks & Harrison (Lawyers) commercials here on the East Coast. I think his old UNCLE partner is still acting on NCIS.

W3WN
11-13-2016, 10:00 AM
He had been doing Marks & Harrison (Lawyers) commercials here on the East Coast. I think his old UNCLE partner is still acting on NCIS.
Yes, David McCallum is one of the stars of NCIS.

There's even a scene, in one of the early seasons, where one of the team asks Gibbs what "Ducky" looked like in his younger days. The answer, of course? "Ilya Kuryakin"

'tis a pity that they couldn't do an episode with Robert Vaughn making an appearance. It would have been fun to see those two together again.

K4PIH
11-13-2016, 10:41 PM
I was always into the spy stuff. When I was about 11, I got the Man From Uncle weapons and badge set. Came with a pistol that had a detachable stock and bipod, with a clip on scope. Had a cool looking badge to go with it. No way you could sell a thing like that now, too un-pc.

Of course I was Napolean Solo, no commie for my mommie!

Was a great show!

KG4NEL
11-13-2016, 11:19 PM
He seemed older than that, have to say I thought he was already dead...

K4PIH
11-14-2016, 12:14 AM
He was also the last surviving first tier star from the "Magnificent Seven" movie. Damn fine movie it was.