PDA

View Full Version : Irony

W3WN
10-31-2016, 10:02 AM
While returning from a coffee run, I noticed a small pile of papers on one of the printer/copiers. Someone had copied or scanned a document and left the originals behind.

The documents in question were talking about security, specifically, the need to keep documents secured for a variety of reasons. Including not leaving original documents behind on a printer, copier, or scanner.

Who left them there? Our Director of Compliance. Want to guess what her job is?

NQ6U
10-31-2016, 10:29 AM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5JamMWk9D68

XE1/N5AL
10-31-2016, 01:15 PM
That's gotta hurt!

At one job, my boss gave me his computer because he received a new one. He should have first deleted the file on the hard disk that listed the salaries of everyone in his department!

At another job, the photocopier broke. So, they called a repairman to fix the problem. After working his magic, the repairman emerged from the copier room holding two pages that he had found jammed in the machine. "Are these important?", he asked. Both pages were stamped "Top Secret", from a particular three letter government organization. I just hope they didn't take the poor repairman out back to shoot him!

ad4mg
10-31-2016, 03:59 PM
Want to guess what her job is?

Document Control? :)

PA5COR
10-31-2016, 04:19 PM
Murphy working in that joint? ;)

WØTKX
10-31-2016, 06:47 PM
https://i.ytimg.com/vi/lVYA6r_s5GA/hqdefault.jpg

WZ7U
11-01-2016, 12:15 AM
https://i.ytimg.com/vi/lVYA6r_s5GA/hqdefault.jpg

WTF wacky search engine DO you use Dave? I like it

WZ7U
11-01-2016, 12:18 AM
While returning from a coffee run, I noticed a small pile of papers on one of the printer/copiers. Someone had copied or scanned a document and left the originals behind.

The documents in question were talking about security, specifically, the need to keep documents secured for a variety of reasons. Including not leaving original documents behind on a printer, copier, or scanner.

Who left them there? Our Director of Compliance. Want to guess what her job is?

Stereo face palm deserved.

Why do people get to keep their jobs after doing that.

Is there a good reason to trust this person with these things anymore?

koØm
11-01-2016, 11:48 AM
Stereo face palm deserved.

Why do people get to keep their jobs after doing that.

Is there a good reason to trust this person with these things anymore?

Because everyone has done it at least one time or another; as long as it isn't their private parts or, a copy thereof, the corporate world will keep on turning.

IF, you are old enough, think back to the days when they used carbon paper and mimeograph machines, at that time, carbon paper was a security risk at the DoD certified R & D lab that designed the prototype controls for the F-18 fighter jets.

ETA: A simple sign reminding folks to take their original helped.

WZ7U
11-02-2016, 07:19 AM
IF, you are old enough, think back to the days when they used carbon paper and mimeograph machines, at that time, carbon paper was a security risk at the DoD certified R & D lab that designed the prototype controls for the F-18 fighter jets.

Yup, I can still remember the smell the mimeograph machines put off all these decades later.

KK4AMI
11-02-2016, 09:30 AM
Yup, I can still remember the smell the mimeograph machines put off all these decades later.
Yup, we had to put carbon paper and typewriter ribbons in classified burn bags.

We called it the " Ditto Machine" and the smell was from methanol alcohol I believe. I never took drugs in school, but I usually got high before every test. That might explain my grades. If you want to simulate those good old days just open up a bottle of cheap Russian Vodka and sniff. Don't drink it of course.

NQ6U
11-02-2016, 10:41 AM
Ahem. From a person who's done it professionally:

Ditto and Mimeograph were two different processes. Mimeograph used a stencil cut on a typewriter (most of them had a lever that kept the ribbon down for cutting mimeograph stencils) while Ditto used an ink transfer process. Mimeograph copies were black, Ditto were purple.

Both processes have been confined to the dustbin of history by cheap xerography.

PA5COR
11-02-2016, 03:00 PM
2 Dutch students now developed printing without ink.
Using a laser and special process the laser burns the text into/on the paper, that could be done before but the laser could burn holes in the paper and the print wasn't black, they solved that problem.
Several printer producers already in talks with them to start producing it in the near future.
Might save a bundle on cartridges...

WZ7U
11-02-2016, 10:00 PM
Ahem. From a person who's done it professionally:

Ditto and Mimeograph were two different processes. Mimeograph used a stencil cut on a typewriter (most of them had a lever that kept the ribbon down for cutting mimeograph stencils) while Ditto used an ink transfer process. Mimeograph copies were black, Ditto were purple.

Both processes have been confined to the dustbin of history by cheap xerography.

Well, shit man. I can't be expected to keep all my nomenclature straight can I? Well, can I?

You figured it out easy enough for us though, thanks for the correction. Ditto, that must be what I remember from elementary school. See, effin fumes messed me up ;-)