PDA

View Full Version : Linux Window Managers and Keyboard Friendly Applications

KC2UGV
10-29-2016, 10:50 PM
So, I've started getting sick of point-and-grunt user interfaces, so I started finding cli-based replacement apps.

It was helped by our corporate email system being migrated away from Microsuck to Zimbra, which is a standards-compliant email system. Now, I can use Alpine for email, calcurse for calendaring, and finch for chat.

But, this wasn't enough! Sure, inside of each app, I could live on the keyboard, but to switch required pointing-and-grunting!

So, I started checking out WM's (Window managers). I tried Ratpoison. It's nice, but relies on screen bindings (The application "screen", a terminal multiplexing app). I don't really like those bindings.

Tried plain jane TWM. Slick. Light. But... dreary. I test drove AwesomeWM. It was ok, but, just didn't fit well for me.

Finally landed on i3wm! How nice! Easily customizable! Keybindings are easy to change, add, etc. People have done pretty much everything for it! And, if you're feeling spunky, you can build i3gaps, which adds the ability to add gaps between windows, which is easy on the eyes (Especially for multi-terminals).

I tried a really bare-bones install, but realized I did. in fact, miss some of the things provided by a real Desktop Environment. But, that fix is easy: install MATE, and use parts of MATE!

Eventually, the system I'm settled on is thus:

* Ubuntu MATE
* i3-gaps by Airblader
* i3-gaps configured to execute nm-applet, mate-settings-daemon, mate-volume-applet
* Xombrero for Web Browsing (Vim based graphical browser)
* Alpine for email
* Finch for chat
* mate-terminal for default terminal

With that, you've got a fully-modern, fully keyboard driven UI interface. If anyone would like pointers on setting it up, let me know, post here, whatever. Love to help :)

n6hcm
10-30-2016, 12:14 AM
i'm loving this. this is part of why i do so much on my mac--even though it is obviously GUI-oriented, it has enough keyboard savvy to make me happy.

KC2UGV
10-30-2016, 09:30 AM
For Ubuntu MATE, these are the packages I installed after the base:

alpine
ansible
bind9utils
build-essential
calcurse
chromium-browser
conky-all
filezilla
finch
git
htop
i3lock
i3status
libev-dev
libpango1.0-dev
libstartup-notification0-dev
libxcb1-dev
libxcb-cursor-dev
libxcb-icccm4-dev
libxcb-keysyms1-dev
libxcb-randr0-dev
libxcb-util0-dev
libxcb-xinerama0-dev
libxcb-xkb-dev
libxkbcommon-dev
libxkbcommon-x11-dev
libyajl-dev
network-manager-openconnect
network-manager-openconnect-gnome
network-manager-vpnc
network-manager-vpnc-gnome
nmon
pcmanfm
pidgin
remmina
screen
scrot
suckless-tools
vim
virtualbox
vpnc
xautolock
xcompmgr
xutils-dev

Doesn't include i3-gaps, as that has to be built from source.

KC2UGV
10-30-2016, 09:34 AM
i'm loving this. this is part of why i do so much on my mac--even though it is obviously GUI-oriented, it has enough keyboard savvy to make me happy.

I test-drove a Mac, and the gestures + bindings + UI just didn't make sense to me. Likely, because I'm brain damaged from the PC world. I just can't wrap my brain around metaphor used for interaction.

WØTKX
10-30-2016, 02:52 PM
I've found bash in Windows 10 amusing, but odd. At least it is there.

I'm pretty fluent on the odd command line Winders stuff.

KC2UGV
10-30-2016, 03:32 PM
I've found bash in Windows 10 amusing, but odd. At least it is there.

I'm pretty fluent on the odd command line Winders stuff.

Not sure how well it would work, but you might be able to get i3 running on Ubuntu for Windows 10.

n2ize
01-18-2017, 12:08 PM
C Shell.

W3WN
01-19-2017, 02:13 PM
C Shell.
Hey, I saw that at a little software shop in OCMD. Cute girl behind the counter.

Which means, of course...

She sells C Shell by the seashore.

NM5TF
01-21-2017, 12:03 AM
Corey,

any reason you went with buntu other than some other, more customizable distro ???

KC2UGV
01-21-2017, 03:05 PM
Corey,

any reason you went with buntu other than some other, more customizable distro ???

Familiarity. Only reason. I've been kicking the tires with Manjaro, though as well as of late.

In addition, I've switched from mate-terminal to xterm (With some customizations).