PDA

View Full Version : Emergency Lighting?

koØm
10-18-2016, 11:06 AM
Use A Potato To Keep Your Room Lit For Over A Month (http://www.metaspoon.com/potato-powered-led-lamp?cat=shock&fb=4147M1n1r5565aD&utm_source=4147M1n1r5565aD)

<blah-blah>

Haim Rabinowitch is a professor of science and agriculture at the Hebrew University of Jerusalem. Rabinowitch and his team figured out a way to transform a potato into a surprisingly powerful battery. Apparently, a raw potato can produce power on its own but after boiling it for eight minutes, it produces ten times that amount. It should be noted that the potato itself isn’t an actual energy source. By attaching two metals to the potato, a chemical reaction takes place that allows energy to be released.

The full potato battery kit consists of a potato, two metal electrodes and alligator clips. With this kit, Rabinowitch proved that a potato could be used to provide a room with LED-powered lighting for as long as 40 days! Considering that potatoes are one of the world’s most abundant food crop, this is an amazing development for supplying power in poor and underdeveloped regions!

<blah-blah>

I wonder what the electrodes are made of; Nickle and Cadmium maybe?

KG4CGC
10-18-2016, 12:00 PM
Note to self: Start another potato shortage and hand out diseased blankets.

NQ6U
10-18-2016, 01:11 PM
Not exactly new tech—there have been novelty kits that did this on the market for many years. I remember seeing them advertised back when I was a kid, shortly after the Earth cooled.

XE1/N5AL
10-18-2016, 01:29 PM
Bartender, another Spud Light please.

W3WN
10-18-2016, 02:46 PM
Boy, did this bring back a memory.

In 9th Grade, we had a "social studies" teacher who had the class participate in an "experiment" regarding what we would do if we were stranded on a deserted Pacific island... and had to get off after a certain amount of time before it got hit with a nuclear bomb. One of the things we had to do was to figure out how to power a radio from a potato.

I remember him telling us that in his class the year before, the students who were the "we are in charge" type shouldered aside the "science types" who remembered how to do it right; and they took so long, they got "bombed" without ever solving the problem. (Taking the hint, my class let the people who knew what they were doing, do it. We "survived" -- well, that part of it, at least. )

WZ7U
10-18-2016, 03:11 PM
Idaho could light the world!

NQ6U
10-18-2016, 03:22 PM
Idaho could light the world!

Idaho needs to light up Idaho first. Such a lovely place to be wasted on such a bunch of morons.

WZ7U
10-18-2016, 07:58 PM
Well, there is that.

KG4NEL
10-20-2016, 10:23 AM
Idaho needs to light up Idaho first. Such a lovely place to be wasted on such a bunch of morons.

I had a roommate from Utah, avid snowboarder, who would say that Utah was the most beautiful place in the US, spoiled by the kookiest people in the US.

This was also around the time that Napoleon Dynamite was fairly popular, and he seethed at what he perceived as Mormon-glorification, lol

n2ize
10-23-2016, 05:05 AM
Not exactly new tech—there have been novelty kits that did this on the market for many years. I remember seeing them advertised back when I was a kid, shortly after the Earth cooled.

I used to do this same experiment but only I used a lemon or a grapefruit instead of a patater. Then the Big Bang happened and the universe was born.

K7SGJ
10-24-2016, 10:56 AM
I tried that with a watermelon. It didn't work. Maybe a seedless........ Or how about rutabagas?

WØTKX
10-24-2016, 11:04 AM
Citrus fruits worked well. I used a lime for class, just to be "green". ;)

K7SGJ
10-24-2016, 11:12 AM
I guess with a lemon you'd be...........never mind.

Lemons? Hell Carl could have lighted the world when he lived in the grove.

NQ6U
10-24-2016, 11:29 AM
Does seawater make a good battery electrolyte? 'Cause I have an endless supply of that at hand.

KK4AMI
10-24-2016, 05:26 PM
Oh yeah! Keep your zincs up to date. Metal corrodes fast in saltwater. That is why I like living on the back ass of the Albemarle Sound, it's mostly fresh water. I still have polish for aluminum and stainless if you need it.

W3WN
10-26-2016, 05:16 PM
Citrus fruits worked well. I used a lime for class, just to be "green". ;)
So I have to ask...

You put the lime in the coconut? Drank 'me both up?

XE1/N5AL
10-27-2016, 12:31 AM
So I have to ask...

You put the lime in the coconut? Drank 'me both up?

I think that's how Gilligan accidentally foiled the Professor's grand plan to electrify the Island.

KG4CGC
10-28-2016, 01:49 AM
I think that's how Gilligan accidentally foiled the Professor's grand plan to electrify the Island.

No way that forking fishing rod he used in the first episode was strong enough to fling a late 50's era marine transceiver the size of a 19" Admiral television into the ocean from the beach!