PDA

View Full Version : Hurricane Nets....

KD8TUT
10-07-2016, 05:23 AM
Well- ok. I hunkered in for my first experience of amateur radio emergency operations.

Not that it would be needed, but I tested my station, checked everything out, and was ready to monitor the emergency and net frequencies. With the goal of being informed, and perhaps relaying if needed (however unlikely).

What I experienced was listening to the Hurricane Watch Net reading and re-reading the national weather service and NOAA reports. There were few if any observations from the the affected areas, QRMers tuning and whistling over the lonely guy running the net. Even though it was a directed net... many jackasses from North America wanted to check in.

That was on 40 meters.... Meanwhile on 20 meters.....

20 meters was a different story. Event though the procedures for the net were published on the organizations web site, the op on 20 meters was not following the procedures. Although- one station checked in with actual weather measurements and net control new how to document them.

So in a period of 18 hours of monitoring that is my observation. The two net controllers on 20 and 40 were trying. But not many other hams were involved in passing information. Perhaps if the hurricane had become a real disaster (which could still possibly happen) then these nets would have become active.

I'm disappointed and the low numbers of hams participating. Maybe I was on the wrong frequencies.

I remember hearing emergency traffic nets as a kid which were far more active and useful.

KK4AMI
10-07-2016, 07:56 AM
I am not familiar with the Hurricane Net function, but aren't these nets more active in the post hurricane rescue and clean-up? My old club had a group that went down post Katrina to facilitate communications in the hardest hit areas.

KD8TUT
10-07-2016, 08:05 AM
I am not familiar with the Hurricane Net function, but aren't these nets more active in the post hurricane rescue and clean-up? My old club had a group that went down post Katrina to facilitate communications in the hardest hit areas.

There seems to be more activity today. Some sheriff's departments checked in this morning.

Maybe I jumped the gun on my comments.

N8YX
10-07-2016, 09:33 AM
7.268 and 14.325 have been pretty active the past several days. Not sure about any other HF bands.

If you have frequencies, post 'em.

KG4CGC
10-07-2016, 12:13 PM

Yeah, I suspect that it's more about "hunker down" mode right now.

KK4AMI
10-07-2016, 01:59 PM
What is an ideal antenna for 80? No not meters, 80 knots. :lol:

KC2UGV
10-07-2016, 02:29 PM
7.268 and 14.325 have been pretty active the past several days. Not sure about any other HF bands.

If you have frequencies, post 'em.

VIRP talkgroup 221-228, and CONUS HOPSET 794 w/training keys loaded.

WZ7U
10-07-2016, 03:06 PM
Oops, bet the noon net is on its alternate 40m freq (7283.5). http://www.noontimenet.org/

NQ6U
10-07-2016, 04:00 PM
What is an ideal antenna for 80? No not meters, 80 knots. :lol:

An underground antenna.

KG4CGC
10-07-2016, 04:33 PM
There was some submarine game where you had to let out and reel in the antenna that I played in the 90s. You had missions to complete but if you weren't careful you could cut your antenna if you didn't reel it back in.

kb2vxa
10-08-2016, 09:11 AM
I remember it as the Hurricane Net I've listened to when I had antennas. They followed protocol and it ran like a Swiss watch, from what I just read it would seem now it's a digital watch with a dead battery. Evacuation and shelter for Sandy went the same flawless way, then it happened. I could have returned on the 5th day when power was restored here in "the beach", but their watch battery died, they made no plans to get us back home. I spent 2 extra weeks of sleepless nights thanks to kids out of control and parents standing around with their thumbs up their asses, but thanks to an excellent catering service I ate well. I took the bull by the horns talking with various clueless representatives until I hooked up with the CERT (Community Emergency Response Team) leader, it took one more day, but I finally was taken home in a CERT van.

"An underground antenna."
Perfect for working ground wave SLF the Navy uses to send Emergency Action Messages (EAMs) to submerged submarines.

"There was some submarine game where you had to let out and reel in the antenna that I played in the 90s."
That's the above mentioned SLF antenna on submarines.
"You had missions to complete but if you weren't careful you could cut your antenna if you didn't reel it back in."
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Crimson_Tide_(film) That's a must watch movie, it'll have you biting your nails on the edge of your seat.

KG4CGC
10-08-2016, 11:03 AM
75m 3935 nights has been active.