PDA

View Full Version : when the hot desert air meets the coastal eddy . . . .

WA6RO
09-28-2016, 10:47 AM
ahhh . . . nice change !

NQ6U
09-28-2016, 06:24 PM
The Coastal Eddy is Our Friend.

I ended up motoring down to Chula Vista because there wasn't enough wind to make it worth the trouble of hoisting the sails. That changed about 45 minutes before I arrived at my destination when a nice west wind (thanks, Eddy!) came up but by that time it was too late. It was the first time I'd navigated the South Bay channel and I would have dropped my sails about then anyway.

http://i.imgur.com/lIOSLKE.png

WZ7U
09-28-2016, 09:52 PM
Are those depths in phathoms or feet?

hope its not feet

NQ6U
09-28-2016, 10:00 PM
Are those depths in phathoms or feet?

hope its not feet

They are in feet, but that's at what's called "mean lower low water."

The daily tides on the west coast are not the same height—there's one high tide, then a higher high tide. In between there's a low tide and then a lower low tide. By coincidence, I just looked it up a little while ago because I didn't know the explanation for that phenomenon. Turns out it's because the continents restrict the flow of the water. If the Earth was completely covered by oceans without any pesky land masses, there would be two equal high and low tides every day at every point.

Anyhow, if the tide isn't at the lower of the two low tides, the depth is greater than those soundings indicate. And my boat only draws 4-1/2 feet of water.

KG4CGC
09-28-2016, 10:04 PM
The Coastal Eddy is Our Friend.

The desert Eddy on the other hand ... (rimshot).

NQ6U
09-28-2016, 10:05 PM
The desert Eddy on the other hand ... (rimshot).

Perfect. I was trying to figure out a way to work in a comment about Eddie but couldn't. Nice job.

KG4CGC
09-28-2016, 10:06 PM
Perfect. I was trying to figure out a way to work in a comment about Eddie but couldn't. Nice job.

hihi 5/9 5/9 73 OM

W3WN
09-29-2016, 10:11 AM
Ok, looking at that chart, maybe I'm missing something.

Where's the San Diego Black Lagoon?