PDA

View Full Version : good morning sun over LA Harbor

WA6RO
09-26-2016, 12:52 PM
new designation as mobile marine - QRP HF and 2m / 70c
nice ground plane, those harbor waters do make :)

KG4CGC
09-26-2016, 02:28 PM
Welcome to the Island.

http://i25.photobucket.com/albums/c79/bebop5/drinks/Copy_of_IMG_01731_zpsd1f9f3ae.jpg

PA5COR
09-26-2016, 03:08 PM
welcome- piccie- jealous.....;)

NQ6U
09-26-2016, 04:34 PM
WA6RO: Welcome to the Island!

I'll be moving aboard my boat (a Cal 2-29) berthed in San Diego Bay on October 1st. Casually looking for an Icom mobile rig to use onboard.

K6BSO/MM (almost)

AA1OH
09-27-2016, 08:48 AM
Welcome ! Is KWOW 1600 AM still around?

WZ7U
09-27-2016, 12:23 PM
Nice way to make your splash onto the island! Good to meet ya, lucky dog with the whole M/M thing and all.

Maybe you and Carl could have a race for, I dunno, something boater dudes do it for? help me out here....

NQ6U
09-27-2016, 01:39 PM
Nice way to make your splash onto the island! Good to meet ya, lucky dog with the whole M/M thing and all.

Maybe you and Carl could have a race for, I dunno, something boater dudes do it for? help me out here....

Unless you're in the big leagues, winning a sailboat race grants you ragging rights, mostly, or maybe a plaque. It's a lot like ham radio contesting in that respect. Of course, we don't know that Leroy has a sailboat; he could live aboard a power boat. That would make racing somewhat awkward.

KG4CGC
09-27-2016, 01:45 PM

They could see who is more boatlier. The boatliest one gets some kind of trophy. I dunno, a bottle of Pusser's.

WA6RO
09-27-2016, 07:27 PM
hi folks ! thanks for the warm welcome ! my boat is a 33' islander ketch (sailboat) a one-of-a-kind kinda. my QRP M/M consists of a HW-8 and an aptly named Argonaut 505, both being stock.
prefer to do things the hard way with an old Navy straight key and an old TT banana mic! gonna be on the water for a few days, mostly unplugged but will try to stay tuned to the island somehow.14928

WA6RO
09-27-2016, 08:32 PM
tnx! nice to be on-board!

WA6RO
09-28-2016, 09:48 AM
well, congrats on the live-a-board status .the Cal 2-29 = great boat! me - got a 33' Islander ketch, full keel heavy but loves a nice broad reach. actually, i don't mind reaching for a broad now and then !!
i used to have a wooden double-ended, gaff rigged cutter in Alpha anchorage, near National City, back in the day . . . when i didn't mind constantly working on a wooden hull - hi hi ! all the best with setting up your M/M

WA6RO
09-28-2016, 10:28 AM
just saw a new posting on QTH:FYI;
RADIOHF - FOR SALE: ICOM 701 w 701 power supply http://swap.qth.com/camera_icon.gif (http://swap.qth.com/view_ad.php?counter=1284733)Good condition, early solid state transceiver and matching power supply (with speaker), minor scratches.
$200. HF only, powers up and transmits/receives. Band selector, frequency display, indicators and switches work. Uniden mike.
The pros, you will like the “feel” of the big dial, other dials and soft flip switches. The circuit boards have discrete components (transistors, diodes, etc) that are replaceable.
The cons, it is an older machine with a couple issues.
The antenna attenuator flip switch is broken off and the power supply connector rubber is tired (but functions).
Shipping included, or best offer without shipping. Virginia pickup.
Pay pal please.

WA6RO
09-28-2016, 10:41 AM
thanks PA5COR! back in the music business days, i spent some time in Utrecht, Rotterdam, Hilversum and Amsterdam, ND being at the top of my favorites list! best

AA1OH
09-28-2016, 10:49 AM
I have a Icom 720a that is a fine radio. Much like the 701 but has general coverage. The 701 has some upgrades you can do if you want but not needed. I think you can't do AM with it. Not a bad price with shipping and the broken switch can be found on other models on ebay.

NQ6U
09-28-2016, 06:36 PM
well, congrats on the live-a-board status .the Cal 2-29 = great boat! me - got a 33' Islander ketch, full keel heavy but loves a nice broad reach. actually, i don't mind reaching for a broad now and then !!
i used to have a wooden double-ended, gaff rigged cutter in Alpha anchorage, near National City, back in the day . . . when i didn't mind constantly working on a wooden hull - hi hi ! all the best with setting up your M/M

Hah, yeah, fiberglass boats are work enough, I'll pass on wooden hulls thank you very much.

Took her down to her new digs in Chula Vista today and, no shit, got boarded by the Coast Guard. First trip out since I bought her, figures, don't it? I thought about yelling something along the lines of "Avast, ye survey dogs or I'll fill ye full o' lead" but all I had aboard was a rigging knife and a flare pistol and they had a couple of M-16 variants on their RIB so I decided it might not be a good idea—discretion being the better part of valor and all that. Arrrrrrrr...

They closed down the National City anchorage but there are still a few others left on the bay.