PDA

View Full Version : Florida Repeater Council database leaked

KC2SYK
09-23-2016, 08:30 AM
https://www.reddit.com/r/amateurradio/comments/543dab/florida_repeater_council_database/

https://bpaste.net/show/ea0ded3e9aa0 (MySQL)

http://pastebin.com/2bXjfead (CSV)

WX7P
09-23-2016, 08:37 AM
What nefarious acts of radio hooligan skullduggery did the FRC expect that prompted them to keep this information secret?

NQ6U
09-23-2016, 12:54 PM
What nefarious acts of radio hooligan skullduggery did the FRC expect that prompted them to keep this information secret?

I've got just one word for you: Benghazi.

KD8TUT
09-23-2016, 06:10 PM
I've got just one word for you: Benghazi.

Emails.

WZ7U
09-23-2016, 09:08 PM
I'm not sure what it is they were trying to hide. Wouldn't that info be in the FCC database to some degree?

Like everything else it seems, follow the $$

KE6KA
09-23-2016, 10:32 PM
No, the information isn't in the FCC database.

I considered making a website displaying the location of repeater sites in California with elevation data so people could get an idea on the reliability of a repeater. As far as location goes, it would be a lot better than typing in a location and pulling up all the repeaters within a given radius or matching city/county name as the key, which leaves out a lot of repeaters because a repeater listing may be under a location name that is different from the city it is used in, or one that is greater than a given radius, but works reliably due to its location at a high elevation.

I emailed about a dozen repeater sponsors and clubs. Clubs were mostly OK with the idea, but one had an agreement with the tower company not to disclose the location to reduce the likelihood of vandalism. Some of the unaffiliated repeaters were located at someone's home, or were at locations where someone could disassemble the repeater site and nobody would know until someone would try to use the repeaters there. I even put forth the suggestion that I could intentionally move the coordinates of the repeater by several miles. Some were still uncomfortable with the idea. I did not receive a reply from any of the repeater coordinating councils regarding this, so I'm just assuming they think any request for this information is motivated by nefarious intent.

As far as real vs perceived problems repeater sponsors have regarding vandalism, I know there has been numerous cases of vandalism around the country. Quite a few were motivated my the high prices paid for scrap metal. There have been quite a few more cases of using antennas and buildings for shooting practice. Most of what I have read regarding this hasn't been in California, but I've noticed a lot of two-way radio sites have locked gates across the roads now. That wasn't common in the 90s.

I still may put up such a website and update the accuracy of locations as I discover them. If a repeater location is at a house I'll just change the coordinates so it appears a few miles away.

n0km
09-27-2016, 09:54 AM

Some clubs/individuals want to keep their machines unpublished. We have just such a unit across the line in NM on a popular Colorado channel that uses 100Hz for access. I think that they get a kick out of chewing out anyone who stumbles onto it by accident. They could move it down into the 420 -430Mhz band and never be bothered.

WX7P
09-27-2016, 12:29 PM
Some clubs/individuals want to keep their machines unpublished. We have just such a unit across the line in NM on a popular Colorado channel that uses 100Hz for access. I think that they get a kick out of chewing out anyone who stumbles onto it by accident. They could move it down into the 420 -430Mhz band and never be bothered.

OOOOOO! Sekrit channel!

I love sekrits!

Are they double secret super spy agents of truth to keep 'Merica safe?

NQ6U
09-27-2016, 01:30 PM
OOOOOO! Sekrit channel!

I love sekrits!

Secret Squirrel Radio!

http://img00.deviantart.net/4b58/i/2009/328/b/d/secret_squirrel_by_gianmac.jpg

WX7P
09-27-2016, 03:49 PM
That works. I was actually thinking this...

What's you gonna do?

n0km
09-28-2016, 08:43 AM
OOOOOO! Sekrit channel!

I love sekrits!

They ought to use some of the encryption features that are found on newer radios. Or, maybe a small NRA logo in any repeater listing that slips out.

KG4NEL
09-28-2016, 11:26 AM
Closed repeaters are one (antiquated, outmoded, extinct) thing, but having to pay for information for otherwise-public machines, a-la SERA and these jamokes in FL, is asinine.

W3WN
09-29-2016, 08:25 AM
During the long reign of KR3P as the WPA Repeater Coordinator, the WPA Repeater Council (WPRC) database of repeaters was not available to anyone except Joe. It was considered proprietary information, and the only proprietor was... him.

When he was finally replaced, a good deal of files and other information that technically belonged to WPRC, but retained by Joe and his father (who was on the WPRC board for most of Joe's reign) and not turned over. Most of the databases had to be 'rebuilt' from scratch.

And yes, the entire thing is asinine. I don't know about other repeater councils or organizations, but in his case (knowing Joe since he was a teenager), it was a power trip to him, pure and simple.

KG4NEL
09-29-2016, 02:35 PM
I know enough repeater trustees to know that I'd never want to be one.

WØTKX
09-29-2016, 05:28 PM
I've stopped almost all of my activity on the local repeaters.

Used to be fun, but the 'Merica nonsense has gone wacko.

W7XF
09-29-2016, 09:25 PM
Bushtit.