PDA

View Full Version : moving to a new region. change call sign, even if not a forever move?

n6hcm
09-14-2016, 11:52 PM
I expect to move to 2-land before long (job offer) ... I don't expect to stay there forever (because winter). I'll probably be there a few years ... I know I don't *have* to change my call sign, but should I?

NQ6U
09-15-2016, 12:40 AM
My experience suggests that swapping out a six-call is roughly equivalent to a 6dB gain in your power output. So, yeah, it's worth it.

WØTKX
09-15-2016, 03:06 AM
I agree with da Pope. One of my local radio buddies kept NP4AI. ;)

FWIW...

http://www.ae7q.com/query/data/CallHistory.php?CALL=n2hcm

WZ7U
09-15-2016, 03:11 AM
If he kept the 6 call, he would cause minor pileups out there till everyone caught on. However, doing the whole /2 thing would get old. 6 of 1, half dozen of the other IMO

Hell, take a 7 call ;D

Checked and af2xm is a virgin call........................naw

WØTKX
09-15-2016, 06:33 AM
I'm from MN originally, school in Bozeman (didn't change for the FCC) and now in CO.

I likeee the "slash zero". And my call is a vanity, from a SK elmer.

NQ6U
09-15-2016, 07:33 AM
If he kept the 6 call, he would cause minor pileups out there till everyone caught on.

No he wouldn't, he'd find that his CQs are being ignored. Unless he is doing something uncommon, like working Europe on 10m, nobody wants to talk to yet another Six-Lander. There are just so many of us…

kb2crk
09-15-2016, 09:03 AM
Keep it. The 6 call will work well into Europe. I live in the south but still retain my novice call from when I was in Jersey.

N8YX
09-15-2016, 10:23 AM
Is K1MAN available yet? :rofl:

WX7P
09-15-2016, 11:26 AM
I'd change it.

I did when I moved to Illinois. I changed it again when I came back to the West Coast.

Carl's right about a non-6 call adding db to your signal.

I guess I'm kind of old-school, but I find it annoying when I hear a really loud W1 on 40 and it turns out they're in CA. Same with an NP4 in CO.

WØTKX
09-15-2016, 05:46 PM
LOL! But you'd enjoy the heck out of NP4AI.

Don't judge a ham by the call? :stickpoke:

KJ3N
09-15-2016, 10:24 PM
I guess I'm kind of old-school, but I find it annoying when I hear a really loud W1 on 40 and it turns out they're in CA. Same with an NP4 in CO.

There's an AH0 that shows up on JT65 from time to time. He's actually in CA. Every time I see him pop up, I want to kick him in the balls.

VE7DCW
09-16-2016, 01:10 AM
There's an AH0 that shows up on JT65 from time to time. He's actually in CA. Every time I see him pop up, I want to kick him in the balls.

............while you're calling "CQ DX" Jim? :muhahaha:

:rofl:

W3WN
09-16-2016, 07:44 AM
I expect to move to 2-land before long (job offer) ... I don't expect to stay there forever (because winter). I'll probably be there a few years ... I know I don't *have* to change my call sign, but should I?
If you were moving and planned to stay (NY or NJ? If NJ: Please stay out of the contaminated industrial belt along I-95 / US 1 - 9, that connects NYC to Philly, and you'll be fine) indefinitely, I'd say consider changing your call.

But if you plan to head back to the Left Coast after a period of time, don't.

BTW, N2HCM is shown as available on AE7Q's site.

W3WN
09-16-2016, 07:46 AM
Is K1MAN available yet? :rofl:
Nope.

Neither is W2OY.

But there's always W2NSD.

AA1OH
09-16-2016, 04:01 PM
I had the same problem when I moved from California to New England. I finally changed the call out of tradition. Glad I did as AA1OH is far better that KA6BRX on CW! Sad thing is I do not remember my novice call (only had it for a week as I ran down to Long Beach asap to take the general)>

XE1/N5AL
09-16-2016, 04:35 PM

Having a brand new 2-land call might help you adapt to your new surroundings and also add some new operating excitement. When you move back to CA, you could always get your 6-land call reinstated, providing that two years hasn't passed (per the FCC rules). If you are going to be away for more than two years -- and you really, really want to hold on to your current 6-land call -- you could keep briefly changing between the 2-land and 6-land call every couple of years to hold the 6-land call in limbo (like those evil, multiple 1x2/2x1 call sign hoarders do). :)

XE1/N5AL
09-16-2016, 04:47 PM

Ouch! Is that standard greeting etiquette amongst JT65 operators? At the hamfests, I'll remember to stay clear of any weak-signal forums! :)

n0km
09-16-2016, 08:53 PM
No, but we are good at things like watching paint dry...

KD8TUT
09-16-2016, 10:55 PM
No, but we are good at things like watching paint dry...

I saw a documentary on you guys. It was 11 hours long.

n6hcm
09-17-2016, 03:02 AM
If you were moving and planned to stay (NY or NJ? If NJ: Please stay out of the contaminated industrial belt along I-95 / US 1 - 9, that connects NYC to Philly, and you'll be fine) indefinitely, I'd say consider changing your call.

it's central new york (syracuse) ...

n6hcm
09-17-2016, 03:07 AM
it will be at least two years. i plan on keeping my house and becoming a slumlord to the digerati. it will be hard to return to california (because i don't expect my earning power to support continued presence in california--new profession doesn't pay like IT does). i hope to end up in 7-land ... but need to do some research about real estate prices in select areas first.

life sure got complicated real fast.

n0iu
09-17-2016, 11:33 AM
I know I don't *have* to change my call sign, but should I?

With all due respect (uh oh, now you know you're in trouble!) this is like when my wife asks me which pair of shoes goes better with a particular outfit. I have 4 pair of shoes and she has 60!

So to both of you I ask, why would you want my opinion? Do what makes YOU happy.

WZ7U
09-17-2016, 01:20 PM
Get the seven land call! :D

XE1/N5AL
09-17-2016, 05:35 PM
N2HCM looks to be available. From the AE7Q.com website, the previous holder was a technician class operator, named Albano Ramos, from Mount Vernon, NY. The call was probably active around the 1988 to 1991 time frame. So, if the original holder happened to be a ham radio miscreant (or a mass murderer), enough time has probably elapsed that the callsign is now long forgotten.

Here on the Island, N2HCM might get confused with Kelli's call, N2CHX.

WX7P
09-17-2016, 05:36 PM
it will be at least two years. i plan on keeping my house and becoming a slumlord to the digerati. it will be hard to return to california (because i don't expect my earning power to support continued presence in california--new profession doesn't pay like IT does). i hope to end up in 7-land ... but need to do some research about real estate prices in select areas first.

life sure got complicated real fast.
Depends on where you are in 7 land.

Here in the radioactive desert, it's relatively cheap, at least by CA standards. You can get a screaming house with a view of the whole area for less than $400,000. You can't even touch my old house in Santa Rosa for that and it wasn't anything special.

Seattle and Portland OTOH, are either expensive or getting that way. I'm not a real big fan of either place. They've both gotten very trafficated much like the Bay Area. I could put up with the Bay Area because it's home. Those other places aren't so I'd never live there.

I actually like it here. The metro Tri-Cities is just big enough (275,000 peeps) to have everything you need with the exception of a Trader Joe's. There are enough decent restaurants to keep us busy. It gets hot in the summer but it's dry. Last year the snow only stuck one time.

My cousin who lives in Bellingham warned us that the Tri-Cities was the wild west full of gun nuts and Republicans. We have both here but for the most part, they keep it to themselves. There is a small cadre of Y'all Qaeda around here but they are ridiculed by just about everyone including the gun people. We haven't had one problem here and Benton City is about the neckiest part of the area.

If we got stuck here I wouldn't mind. Sarah disagrees!

WZ7U
09-17-2016, 07:58 PM
Depends on where you are in 7 land... There is a small cadre of Y'all Qaeda around here...

Y'all Qaeda! That is effin precious and I'm stealing it. Goes perfect with Redneckistan! Yee haw!! Thank you for that

WØTKX
09-17-2016, 08:26 PM
So where the hell is Henry? :chin:

NQ6U
09-17-2016, 09:03 PM
So where the hell is Henry? :chin:

2-Land

n6hcm
09-18-2016, 01:31 AM
i am now in san francisco (6-land).
i will move to syracuse ny (2-land) in a few weeks.
i won't be there forever. after about two years i expect to start looking for a job out west. i do not expect to return to sf (although i'll keep my house here for now) because i don't expect it to be sustainable. upon sale of the house, though, i can pretty much sell, pay back the bank, and buy with cash most anywhere.

K7SGJ
09-18-2016, 01:50 PM
i am now in san francisco (6-land).
i will move to syracuse ny (2-land) in a few weeks.
i won't be there forever. after about two years i expect to start looking for a job out west. i do not expect to return to sf (although i'll keep my house here for now) because i don't expect it to be sustainable. upon sale of the house, though, i can pretty much sell, pay back the bank, and buy with cash most anywhere.

Don't know how fer out west you want to go, but the Town of Tombstone, here in beauuuutiful Arizona, is a lookin fer a neeeew sheriff. Judging from past events, it should open and close several times prior to yer arrival.

Just sayin.......

Spitoo

VE7DCW
09-18-2016, 04:47 PM
Don't know how fer out west you want to go, but the Town of Tombstone, here in beauuuutiful Arizona, is a lookin fer a neeeew sheriff. Judging from past events, it should open and close several times prior to yer arrival.

Just sayin.......

Spitoo

I thought the Earps were in charge of Tombstone.......or am I thinking wrong century or something........crazy 'mericans and all your damn guns and such! :mrgreen:

NQ6U
09-18-2016, 05:26 PM
I thought the Earps were in charge of Tombstone.......or am I thinking wrong century or something........crazy 'mericans and all your damn guns and such! :mrgreen:

Even Wyatt Earp gave up on Arizona and moved (like many Zonies) first to San Diego, where he speculated in real estate, then to Los Angeles where he worked as a writer and consultant in the then-young film industry.

VE7DCW
09-18-2016, 05:43 PM
Even Wyatt Earp gave up on Arizona and moved (like many Zonies) first to San Diego, where he speculated in real estate, then to Los Angeles where he worked as a writer and consultant in the then-young film industry.

That is actually quite interesting! ........no wonder there is so much hate into all those U.S. 6 land callsigns! :mrgreen:

kb2vxa
09-20-2016, 01:46 PM
"...crazy 'mericans and all your damn guns and such!"
We need them to protect our children from those dang farting Canadians.

"...no wonder there is so much hate into all those U.S. 6 land callsigns!"
Not six, The Hateful Eight. In the dead of a Wyoming winter, a bounty hunter and his prisoner find shelter in a cabin currently inhabited by two nefarious farting Canadians.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1DNyLD2SRjA

KØWVM
09-22-2016, 12:48 PM
I likeee the "slash zero".

Me too! I had a 2x3 4-land call and I went with the vanity call in 2009 (while living in Nebraska). Now that I am living in 7-land (Utah), I partial to the "slash zero" more than ever.

W3WN
09-22-2016, 12:59 PM
Me too! I had a 2x3 4-land call and I went with the vanity call in 2009 (while living in Nebraska). Now that I am living in 7-land (Utah), I partial to the "slash zero" more than ever.
Oh, yeah, that reminds me... to change the subject for a moment.

Don't worry about 30 meters. I was able to work an NPOTA station from UT in June, just posted the confirmation on LotW. So 30 M WAS is done! (yea!). Now to get the remaining handful of states I need on 10, 15 and 160...

KØWVM
09-22-2016, 01:46 PM
Oh, yeah, that reminds me... to change the subject for a moment.

Don't worry about 30 meters. I was able to work an NPOTA station from UT in June, just posted the confirmation on LotW. So 30 M WAS is done! (yea!). Now to get the remaining handful of states I need on 10, 15 and 160...

Good deal! I haven't been able to get on for a while... my youngest yl (10 yo) harmonic thought it would be really cool to try and hang from one leg of the doublet. Brought the whole antenna assembly down off the chimney top. Needless to say I had an old curmudgeon moment. That harmonic got the rather blunt hint that you don't do that kind of thing, unless you want to anger Oscar the Grouch.

In case anyone wonders what that blunt hint was... a rather strong butt chewing!