PDA

View Full Version : Public Service Announcement

KG4CGC
09-08-2016, 10:17 PM
It's almost Fall and the cold weather drinking is about to commence. Do your drunk friends a favor. Don't let them drive. Do whatever it takes to keep them from getting behind the wheel ... even if that means you have to pepper spray them.
I am absolutely serious. Let's make this go national.

KD8TUT
09-08-2016, 10:24 PM
It's almost Fall and the cold weather drinking is about to commence. Do your drunk friends a favor. Don't let them drive. Do whatever it takes to keep them from getting behind the wheel ... even if that means you have to pepper spray them.
I am absolutely serious. Let's make this go national.

Been doing this my entire life.

Back in the early 80s I was dating a woman who was about 28- ten years older than me. She got drunk one night (her birthday) and I took her keys away from her. She was loaded. Bad.

So I hopped in a cab and went home with her keys when she refused to go with me. She showed up at my place later broke up with me on the spot, and took her keys back (she was sober at that point).

I hope I see her again, so I can give her a little kiss on the cheek and she can say thank you for her life :)

Even though she hated me after that- it was worth knowing she was alive.

KG4CGC
09-08-2016, 10:46 PM
Well sir, you took the high road and she was dumber than fuck. Dumber than fuck is a Southern thing but I'm sure you get it.

Drinking season is year round but the chill sets in and people get more comfortable in their drinking and the dealers find it very profitable. You know what? That's fine. Let's not make it profitable for the vultures. They already have enough revenue streams and there's no point in becoming easy prey.

If your drunk friends don't want to cooperate ... pepper spray their dumber than fuck drunk asses and don't let them drive.

PA5COR
09-09-2016, 03:40 AM
Simple for me, i don't drink alcohol, neither does my son, so you won't find a drop of alcohol in the house.

WZ7U
09-10-2016, 12:27 AM
Not even denatured for disinfectant? Wow

PA5COR
09-10-2016, 02:35 AM
Nope, soap is an disinfectant as well.
Vinegar helps cleaning the windows.
;)

KD8TUT
09-10-2016, 07:26 AM
Nope, soap is an disinfectant as well.
Vinegar helps cleaning the windows.
;)

You guys in the Netherlands are so smart. I understand you came up with Marijuana as medicine, regulated prostitution, and the concept of a "friendly country" as well.

Very impressive!

NQ6U
09-10-2016, 07:29 AM
You guys in the Netherlands are so smart. I understand you came up with Marijuana as medicine, regulated prostitution, and the concept of a "friendly country" as well.

Very impressive!

And wooden shoes, don't forget that. Also, they were one of the first countries to embrace lesbians. There have been dykes there for centuries.

WØTKX
09-10-2016, 08:05 AM
FWIW, "Friesland" is a big part of the heritage in the Netherlands.
Frisian, the language, is a root language of English as we know it.

And they learned about the dangers of speculative markets long ago.
Look up "Black Tulips". ;)

PA5COR
09-10-2016, 08:24 AM
Yep, full blooded Frisian here.
First country in the world where same sex couples could officially marry as well.
We also chopped off the head of Rome's tax collector and send the remains back to Rome, yes we do have a good streak now and then...

Guess what i drink most:
http://i.cbc.ca/1.3746156.1472835263!/fileImage/httpImage/image.jpg_gen/derivatives/original_620/gfx-top-10-coffee-consuming-countries.jpg

n2ize
09-10-2016, 12:43 PM
Well sir, you took the high road and she was dumber than fuck. Dumber than fuck is a Southern thing but I'm sure you get it.

Drinking season is year round but the chill sets in and people get more comfortable in their drinking and the dealers find it very profitable. You know what? That's fine. Let's not make it profitable for the vultures. They already have enough revenue streams and there's no point in becoming easy prey.

If your drunk friends don't want to cooperate ... pepper spray their dumber than fuck drunk asses and don't let them drive.
Fortunately I don't have any friends who get drunk. Nor do I go to bars or parties. And these days I no longer take alcohol. I may indulge other things on occasion (for medicinal reasons of course) but no alcohol.

KG4CGC
09-10-2016, 12:59 PM
Fortunately I don't have any friends who get drunk. Nor do I go to bars or parties. And these days I no longer take alcohol. I may indulge other things on occasion (for medicinal reasons of course) but no alcohol.

I'm so sorry, John. Maybe you could go out sometime and spray random drunks.
I'm kidding of course.

NQ6U
09-10-2016, 01:46 PM
No problem here—no friends to go drinking with.

KG4CGC
09-10-2016, 01:54 PM
Well aren't we just a fine bunch.

WØTKX
09-10-2016, 03:08 PM
http://i3.cpcache.com/product/1307596511/its_not_drinking_alone_if_the_cat_is_home_drinking .jpg?color=White&height=460&width=460&qv=90

NQ6U
09-10-2016, 03:13 PM
I do keep a bottle of Pussers Rum on the boat for special occasions. It's been several months now and the seal is still unbroken.

KK4AMI
09-10-2016, 03:33 PM
I do keep a bottle of Pussers Rum on the boat for special occasions. It's been several months now and the seal is still unbroken.

On the bottle or the boat? :lol:

KG4CGC
09-10-2016, 03:39 PM

That's a proper professional rum to keep on a sailing vessel.

kb2vxa
09-11-2016, 02:18 PM
"I'm so sorry, John. Maybe you could go out sometime and spray random drunks."
Some friends and I did.
"I'm kidding of course."
I'm NOT kidding! My first full time job was making 1 and 2lb disposable fire extinguishers and we got to take home those that failed the 5 year guarantee leak test. The place was a sandbox full of nuts like me, we'd load a few in the car and cruise the bars asking for directions to somewhere. When a bar fly staggered over to the window he got blasted with harmless sodium bicarbonate, ordinary baking soda.

That was a spinoff of one of the pranks we pulled on each other at work. On a blazing hot summer day one guy would fill a bottle halfway (leave room for the gas) with ice cold water from the fountain, cap it and pressurize it with 120psi dry nitrogen. Another would grab one full of powder and pressurized, the two would sneak up on some poor unsuspecting victim, the guy with the ice water let him have it. If the shock of water just above freezing on hot sweaty flesh wasn't enough, powder caked on it and wet clothes was the icing on the cake.

Sometimes the boss caught us up to something, just shook his head and kept walking. He didn't care as long as we didn't kill somebody, our challenge of breaking the previous day's production record broken every day by 200 or more units didn't hurt.

K7SGJ
09-11-2016, 03:33 PM

I thought the seals around there were protected. Who Gnu?

NA4BH
09-11-2016, 10:09 PM
I thought the seals around there were protected. Who Gnu?

Drink tequila and bash them in the head with the empty bottle.

KG4CGC
09-11-2016, 10:36 PM

Yeah. Just kabong them with your El-Kabonger.

KG4CGC
09-11-2016, 10:39 PM
http://i25.photobucket.com/albums/c79/bebop5/001/YIPPEE2BCOYOTE2B4_zpssvrjumeo.png

KG4NEL
09-12-2016, 09:19 AM
Well aren't we just a fine bunch.

Hey, I still get shitfaced.

KG4NEL
09-12-2016, 09:19 AM

What'd you break over the bow?

KK4AMI
09-12-2016, 09:29 AM
What'd you break over the bow?

Umm, I think it's bad luck to rechristen a boat.

NQ6U
09-12-2016, 09:51 AM
Umm, I think it's bad luck to rechristen a boat.

Actually, I am renaming the boat and am not worried about bad luck since I found out that the superstition was manufactured by the British Admiralty as a means of discouraging pirates from renaming their prizes, hence making it easier for the Navy to recover them

NQ6U
09-12-2016, 09:53 AM
That's a proper professional rum to keep on a sailing vessel.

Yeah—blended using the classic British Navy formula. The Gunpowder Proof version would have been more authentic but it's kind of hard to find.

KG4NEL
09-13-2016, 02:48 PM
Actually, I am renaming the boat and am not worried about bad luck since I found out that the superstition was manufactured by the British Admiralty as a means of discouraging pirates from renaming their prizes, hence making it easier for the Navy to recover them

Along with the other inventions of the British Admiralty...copper-hulled vessels...one-armed admirals...scurvy...

NQ6U
09-13-2016, 03:49 PM
Along with the other inventions of the British Admiralty...copper-hulled vessels...one-armed admirals...scurvy...

And the most heinous of them all: grog.

K4PIH
09-13-2016, 07:46 PM
Yep, full blooded Frisian here.
First country in the world where same sex couples could officially marry as well.
We also chopped off the head of Rome's tax collector and send the remains back to Rome, yes we do have a good streak now and then...

Guess what i drink most:
http://i.cbc.ca/1.3746156.1472835263!/fileImage/httpImage/image.jpg_gen/derivatives/original_620/gfx-top-10-coffee-consuming-countries.jpg

No wo der you guys are so jittery :hyper:

KG4CGC
09-14-2016, 12:17 AM
I actually go out of my way to enjoy coffee.

PA5COR
09-14-2016, 05:04 AM
Me jjjjjittery? i only consume 2.5 liters a day.... ;)

KD8TUT
09-14-2016, 05:21 AM
Me jjjjjittery? i only consume 2.5 liters a day.... ;)

You'll get no criticism from me. My heritage is Italian- I live on espresso.

NQ6U
09-14-2016, 09:08 AM
You'll get no criticism from me. My heritage is Italian- I live on espresso.

No room aboard the boat for an espresso maker so I just bought a Bialetti moka pot.

https://images-na.ssl-images-amazon.com/images/I/61s2pDunk9L._SY355_.jpg

PA5COR
09-14-2016, 05:14 PM
Just bought a Melitta coffemaker last month, the old one conked out after just 14 years use, they don't make 'm like they used to...;)

W3WN
09-14-2016, 06:18 PM
We moved back onto the renovated 2nd floor at work on Friday. New carpet, fresh paint, new cube farm, nicer desk chairs...

But the horror! 2 full days of pure torture. Finally was remedied this morning.

No coffee machine. The plumber forgot to run the water lines.

XE1/N5AL
09-16-2016, 02:46 PM
I can't remember if I have mentioned this story before....

During a visit to Japan, I was invited to the home of a Japanese engineering manager, for dinner. After a great dinner, his wife asked me if I wanted coffee. I don't drink coffee and I almost said, "No, thanks". But, for some reason I answered, "Yes, please".

As the wife went to the kitchen to prepare the coffee, the manager explained to me how his wife had been so nervous about preparing a good meal for a foreign visitor. They were tea drinkers, but she knew that ALL AMERICANS LOVE COFFEE. So, the wife had made a special four mile round trip to the store, on her bicycle, to purchase coffee for my visit.

That was one of the few times in my life that I have drank coffee ...and I was sure glad that I did!

PA5COR
09-16-2016, 03:04 PM
Good man, good decission ;)

XE1/N5AL
09-16-2016, 03:09 PM

If the list was recalculated as "Gallons per Capita", instead of Liters, I suspect that the U.S. would move farther up in the ranking! :yes:

XE1/N5AL
09-16-2016, 03:20 PM
Unfortunately, Mexico has the more dubious distinction of being the world's largest (per capita) Coca Cola consumer.

Thanks to a national sales tax increase on sugary drinks, Mexican per capita consumption has dipped since this chart was made. But, the effects of such government tax actions only last as long as the "sticker shock" effect holds up. Signs indicate that consumption is once again on the rise. Among the Mexican poor, the sugar in Coca Cola is a dietary staple; along with beans, rice and corn tortillas. Coca Cola uses real sugar in its drinks here, not high fructose corn syrup.

By the way, we're on holiday here. Today (Sept. 16th) is Mexico's Independence Day!

Back to the original topic, kudos to KG4CGC for promoting awareness of the drunk driving problem.

PA5COR
09-17-2016, 07:58 AM
Seems 110.000 car accidents happened with people playing Pokemon and driving, my phone in the car is in fly modus, used to navigate sometimes, or off.
No alcohol, no dicking around doing other things, learned that as truck driver....
Using the phone and get caught is 180 Euro on the spot fine.
Get caught several times, or endangering the traffic, lose your license for a few months... then you can text and phone all you want using public transport.

XE1/N5AL
09-17-2016, 02:12 PM
I wish that cellphone texting was never invented. On average, every 18 months I get rear-ended by an idiot driver who is texting and hasn't noticed that the traffic in front of him has stopped.

XE1/N5AL
09-17-2016, 02:38 PM
The town of Tequila and it's distilleries aren't very far from my house, so I'll supply the (empty) bottles:

WZ7U
09-17-2016, 02:41 PM
Perhaps someone would include a feature in cell phones (an app maybe) that would disable the text keyboard if the phone detects it is in motion at a speed above a certain threshold. Wouldn't help the dolts that would continue to read them though.

PA5COR
09-17-2016, 03:40 PM
Nor talk in them while driving like an idiot.
Use phone in driving a car = losing license?

WZ7U
09-17-2016, 08:02 PM
Yeah, I would support that. I do notice that older people tend to pull over to use the phone. Sometimes though they stop partially blocking the street to do it......

Oh well, it's a step in the right direction. :D

WØTKX
09-17-2016, 08:31 PM
My wife gets upset when I don't answer the phone or respond to texting. I drive a lot at work, and with a 108 mile daily round trip commute.
Nope, nope, NOPE! Tough toenails or titties. Shit pisses me off. Now, I do hook up my bluetooth headphones or speaker to hit driving mode.

And before anybody get weird, simplex communication with a push to talk microphone is not the same as duplex, like a phone call.
My Windows Phone does a GREAT job of text to speech, but I don't even do that much. Sometimes rag chewing, usually tunes, cranked.

It's my alone time, fergawdsakes.

PA5COR
09-18-2016, 04:02 AM
I took the mobile 2/70 radio out of the car as well, sold it off.
Even use the cdplayer/radio a lot less as well, i have a fairly good history of not getting involved in accidents and when i was in one it was the other guy's fault.
Saves me a bundle in insurance premium as well, paying 20 euro's a month for extended liability insurance is peanuts.

W3WN
09-18-2016, 08:16 PM
Unfortunately, Mexico has the more dubious distinction of being the world's largest (per capita) Coca Cola consumer.

Thanks to a national sales tax increase on sugary drinks, Mexican per capita consumption has dipped since this chart was made. But, the effects of such government tax actions only last as long as the "sticker shock" effect holds up. Signs indicate that consumption is once again on the rise. Among the Mexican poor, the sugar in Coca Cola is a dietary staple; along with beans, rice and corn tortillas. Coca Cola uses real sugar in its drinks here, not high fructose corn syrup.

By the way, we're on holiday here. Today (Sept. 16th) is Mexico's Independence Day!

Back to the original topic, kudos to KG4CGC for promoting awareness of the drunk driving problem.
Back when I could still drink The Real Thing, one of the local supermarkets started importing Coke, Sprite, and Fanta from Mexico. It definitely tasted "right", whereas the HFCS versions marketed in the US do not. (Although if you never had Coca Cola before the conversion to HFCS, you might not realize it).

They still sell it (saw it on the shelves this afternoon, when we took LMFD grocery shopping)

Alas, that is another luxury I can no longer indulge in.

KG4CGC
09-18-2016, 08:50 PM
I appreciate the Kudos, XE1/N5AL. The issue I have is regardless of awareness, people do it anyway. I have seen fistfights between a pair of drunks, one wanting to drive and the other trying to stop him. That was 2005. Why it took me 11 years to come up with the idea of pepper spraying the dumb bastards? Well? I guess I'm just slow.

Looking back, I could have ended the fight and the idea of anyone at all thinking about driving. Last night I saw a lot of young people drinking and listening to music. They were of age. Fortunately, I saw them (those) who were well into a session of imbibe-ment being walked out by their friends AND they were not arguing about wanting to drive. Awesome thing indeed. Of note, the guy being walked out was in the mosh pit earlier. That probably got all the pent up, argumentative energy out of his system. Also awesome.

XE1/N5AL
09-19-2016, 09:52 PM
In the various crowds that I hung out with in my younger and wilder days, there was always at least one friend who didn't drink. Some had a medical/religious/personal reason for not drinking, while others just didn't like the taste of alcohol. When we went out, it was understood that the non-drinker would be responsible for all the driving. In return, the others chipped-in to pay for all of his cover charges and non-alcoholic drinks for the night. The non-drinking friend had just as much fun as the rest of us and he didn't have to pay a dime for any of it. This was years before the Designated Driver campaigns were being promoted over the TV airwaves.