PDA

View Full Version : Pokemon GO

N8YX
09-02-2016, 10:24 AM
Any Island playas?

A few weeks ago I ran into a bunch of ironically dressed hipster yoots at one of the area bike path trailheads and wondered just WTF they were up to. Several encounters with the crowd and an uttered "I spotted a byzyzmo (or something to that effect) near the path!" led me to the conclusion they were playing Pokemon GO.

A little research ensued. Their hangout (Lock 4 Park) is a Gym, and appears to be a pretty popular one at that. Being the antisocial COB (crotchety old b@st@rd) that I am, I did a little conniving and figured that if I installed the app on my phone, I could use it as an Idiot Radar of sorts...and thereby avoid the crowds at all costs.

Which I did. The concept works swimmingly well. Except that the game is fun to play. A lady friend has a grandson who plays it, and our evening/nighttime bicycle rides now consist of finding PokeStops, Gyms and whatnot along the trails. Surprisingly, many are deserted even in the daylight hours.

In just a few times out I made it to Level 5 and have a bazillion PokeBalls in my Items collection. There are 28 Pokemon and 9 eggs in my Pokedex at the moment, and tonight another friend and I are going to check out a big Gym/PokeStop area at a downtown lake park. Might net me a few more critters too.

HUGH
09-02-2016, 02:27 PM
I don't know much about it but there have been people forcibly ejected from places such as hospital emergency areas "looking for Pokemon" and then characters placed on railway lines, inside electricity substations, major roads and so on. how do they get there?
There are also drivers looking at their gadgets and not the road, bearing in mind roads here are generally narrow and busy so leaving little room for error.

n6hcm
09-03-2016, 02:48 AM
nah ... it chews up your battery. i liked their first run "game" (which wasn't really a game, but would show you cool historical stuff around you ... )

N8YX
09-03-2016, 08:19 AM
nah ... it chews up your battery...
For this, a Mophie solves all problems. I have the case version for my HTC One - comes in very handy for long bicycle rides where I'm away from a charger for extended periods.

To Hugh's point, there are some real dumbasses playing the game. Situational awareness they lack.

KG4NEL
09-03-2016, 07:56 PM
It's added a new dimension to my workouts as I've had to avoid them standing in the middle of running paths...

KC2UGV
09-03-2016, 08:49 PM
I played a little for the first few weeks after release. Not anymore.

NQ6U
09-03-2016, 09:42 PM
It's a real PITA to clean inattentive players out from in between the rear duals.

N8YX
09-04-2016, 11:24 AM
Jim and Carl are spot-on. Wholly carp (not the MagiKarp) are there some dumb ones out and about.

I bike along the trail to a known PokeStop, collect the goodies or the critters then saddle back up and ride to the next one. All the while dodging those who are staring at their screens instead of what's in front of them. :roll:

K7SGJ
09-10-2016, 01:23 PM
I tried it, and the first time I played, I found a Wartortle. Problem is, it was in the toidy bowl and I got 27 points for it. Later, I found out it wasn't for the Wartortle, it was for all the other things in the bowl.

WHO GNU?

VE7DCW
09-10-2016, 03:05 PM
I don't know much about it but there have been people forcibly ejected from places such as hospital emergency areas "looking for Pokemon" and then characters placed on railway lines, inside electricity substations, major roads and so on. how do they get there?
There are also drivers looking at their gadgets and not the road, bearing in mind roads here are generally narrow and busy so leaving little room for error.

This..........and the wonderful stupidity the idiots going for this game around here have been doing like jumping security fences at the airport wandering on to runways,jumping fences trespassing on to the local navy base and my favourite,trespassing on to the Canadian Forces army firing range while live firing was taking place......incredibly intelligent people! :lol:

WØTKX
09-10-2016, 03:12 PM
http://geekosis.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/07/pokemon-go-fail.png

KG4CGC
09-10-2016, 03:21 PM
Recently in downtown Greenville SC some youths decided to go full on knock out game at the main pokestop at The Peace Center. Now the crowds have dropped off drastically and the gun nuts have come back out of the wood work.

The BLM protestors didn't cause near the uproar as this did hen they were blocking traffic in areas surrounding.

VE7DCW
09-10-2016, 03:49 PM
Recently in downtown Greenville SC some youths decided to go full on knock out game at the main pokestop at The Peace Center. Now the crowds have dropped off drastically and the gun nuts have come back out of the wood work.

The BLM protestors didn't cause near the uproar as this did hen they were blocking traffic in areas surrounding.

I saw this lunacy on FB the other day! .......the knockout game,some young teen guy goes up to a young woman stranger and he sucker punches her! All this while his buddy making the video of it laughs like crazy behind the camera! .......what a retard society we have become! :irked:

kb2vxa
09-11-2016, 01:32 PM
Oh I'll second THAT motion!

"...and then characters placed on railway lines, inside electricity substations, major roads and so on. how do they get there?"
By suicidal players trying to kill other suicidal players. It's a game in itself called Gotta Kill 'Em All or Who's That Pokejerk? Keep watching those locations for Team Rocket blasting off again. <ding> Pokemon GO Away was made by grumpy old bastids like me for grumpy old bastids like me who support the Darwin Awards and have plenty of chlorine for the gene pool. Now get that Squirtle off my lawn!

I just remembered something about Ontario, it's not a Pokemon but it's a GO.

WZ7U
09-12-2016, 01:35 AM
I'm thinking more like Pokemon-NO

W3WN
09-12-2016, 05:48 AM
I saw this lunacy on FB the other day! .......the knockout game,some young teen guy goes up to a young woman stranger and he sucker punches her! All this while his buddy making the video of it laughs like crazy behind the camera! .......what a retard society we have become! :irked:
There was a similar incident about 2 years ago downtown. All caught on surveillance cameras, and the schmucks involved all got arrested. I think a few of those kids ended up doing jail time, plus community service and full restitution for the medical bills to the victim. And that was BEFORE the inevitable civil suit.

Not real bright idea there, kids.

N8YX
09-12-2016, 11:11 AM
There was a similar incident about 2 years ago downtown. All caught on surveillance cameras, and the schmucks involved all got arrested. I think a few of those kids ended up doing jail time, plus community service and full restitution for the medical bills to the victim. And that was BEFORE the inevitable civil suit.

Not real bright idea there, kids.

Most of the playas of that particular little game aren't exactly rocket scientists...nor are they missile technicians. They'd be challenged to correctly aim a bottle rocket and safely light the fuse.

N8YX
09-12-2016, 11:12 AM

Protecting one's self from criminal acts is bad how?

KG4CGC
09-12-2016, 02:59 PM
Protecting one's self from criminal acts is bad how?

These aren't people protecting themselves. These are people who claim to be persecuted by Obama.

N8YX
09-12-2016, 03:21 PM
These aren't people protecting themselves. These are people who claim to be persecuted by Obama.

Interesting.

We don't seem to have these problems at our area PokeStops, and the one I visited Friday (North Canton park) was a literal melting pot of all sorts of people. Wonder what's up with that?

KG4CGC
09-12-2016, 03:53 PM
Interesting.

We don't seem to have these problems at our area PokeStops, and the one I visited Friday (North Canton park) was a literal melting pot of all sorts of people. Wonder what's up with that?

The pokestop was fine until that ONE night. The knockout game wasn't even a real issue around here like it was 3 years ago. One person playing pokemon go got hit, now the same people who were on the opposite end of the park 4 years ago protesting another gun issue where they claimed Obama was gonna take their guns, they show back up.

Maybe a little more background. The source that reported this used a picture of black youths to represent the knock out game players. A couple of years ago, a running/bicycle path called the Swamp Rabbit Trail was in the news for "thugs" attacking people. The trail runs from downtown to Furman University, cutting right through a couple of very poor neighborhoods. The gun nuts got in an uproar and assumed the criminals were black because it couldn't have possibly been poor white kids or any other group. Just black kids. The gun people made asses of themselves on national news blaming Obama for empowering thug culture instead of looking at the local government for putting easy targets, joggers and cyclers, people who are generally unarmed or minimally armed, right in the middle of a secluded area of these historically poor neighborhoods.

Every time they catch one of these "thugs" it is almost always teen aged white kids or a white meth head in his 20s or 30s. Regardless of this, the paper used on their FB page a picture of a group of black youths in a public place near DT. The gun people showed up, not to act as guardians but to get attention and place blame everywhere else.
In the cases where they catch black youths it is unrelated to the issue which was being spotlighted.

As of right now they still haven't caught anyone and the P-GO players have dwindled from that particular pokestop. Please don't take this as an indictment on all gun owners. The ones protesting are the same ones who are still flying Confederate battle flags on their trucks.

W3WN
09-12-2016, 08:13 PM
Most of the playas of that particular little game aren't exactly rocket scientists...nor are they missile technicians. They'd be challenged to correctly aim a bottle rocket and safely light the fuse.
As I recall, the ones who were caught downtown were attending one of the charter high schools. One of the downtown charter schools is designated as an "alternative" school for those with, shall we say, disciplinary issues. The type of issues that gets one suspended or expelled from a public school. I will let you draw your own conclusions.

And I have to admit... at the time I wrote the previous reply, I was on the "T" (Light Rail Transit) coming in to work. Now, normally, I cut through the very same alley that the previously mentioned incident occurred in, and never think twice about it. Not today. This morning, I decided to take the alternate route sticking to the main streets. Just in case.

You see, Little Miss Field Day is starting an apprenticeship at the Pittsburgh Playhouse, and in order to get paid, she needs to show the school her original birth certificate & SSN card, so I had those on me to give to her at lunch time. And while digging those out, I came across over $600 in US Savings Bonds that had gathered dust since she was born, so I had THOSE on me as well. (Don't worry, they're now safely in the bank).

It would have been just my luck to make the acquaintance of some of these aforementioned rocket scientists on my way in to work this morning.

KG4NEL
09-13-2016, 10:46 AM
I recently had to pay $75 to ye olde commonweal of Massachusetts to get another copy of mine, so I could update my passport. Bastids...

n2ize
10-14-2016, 12:28 PM
This..........and the wonderful stupidity the idiots going for this game around here have been doing like jumping security fences at the airport wandering on to runways,jumping fences trespassing on to the local navy base and my favourite,trespassing on to the Canadian Forces army firing range while live firing was taking place......incredibly intelligent people! :lol:
Maybe Pokemon Go was designed to "thin out the herds"... you know as in evolution. I'm sure there are a lot of potential Darwin award winners playing Pokemon Go.

n2ize
10-14-2016, 12:34 PM
I put Pokemon Goon my phone early this summer. Within 3-4 days I remove it from my phone. Not only is it a power hog it is IMHO boring as hell. Why would I want to spend (waste) my time chasing imaginary characters around ? I decided then and there. Pokemon Go just ain't fer me.

VE7DCW
10-14-2016, 02:59 PM
The pokemon craze seems to have abated a fair bit around here....now that the bad weather has arrived for fall "monsoon season" this looks like it's proving to be just a fair weather type of game :yes:

WZ7U
10-14-2016, 10:31 PM
Yup, I also noticed the local zombies haven't been shuffling by staring at their stupid 'smart' phones now that the weather we are so famous for has returned. Yaaaayh!

kb2vxa
10-15-2016, 03:34 PM
I wouldn't know if the local zombies are playing Poke Him Man GOO, texting, or admiring their selfies and really don't care if they wander into the path of an oncoming truck.

NOW GET THAT PIKACHU OFF MY LAWN! Don't even think about it, I have the hose ready to watch that electric mouse electrocute himself. No surprises here, it always says "Pikachu" before it discharges, so put it back in it's Pokeball and move along before the sparks fly if you know what's good for you.

n2ize
10-23-2016, 05:23 AM
I wouldn't know if the local zombies are playing Poke Him Man GOO, texting, or admiring their selfies and really don't care if they wander into the path of an oncoming truck.

NOW GET THAT PIKACHU OFF MY LAWN! Don't even think about it, I have the hose ready to watch that electric mouse electrocute himself. No surprises here, it always says "Pikachu" before it discharges, so put it back in it's Pokeball and move along before the sparks fly if you know what's good for you.
Not with 1000 MV at 900 Amps across the lawn. :)

N8YX
11-09-2016, 12:31 PM
Haters gonna hate ... :lol:

It's so popular at our downtown lake/park that food trucks have set up on warm weekend nights to feed the crowds of players. Most times I will play from my bicycle, as there are a number of stops along the trails I ride...but if going to the lake I'll take the car then walk around it when I get there. Those are good for at least 3mi per visit, several times per week.

Last night I reached Level 23 at said lake. My two major gripes with the game: 1) Incorporate a real "tracker" function into the game (or quit shutting down all the 3rd-party versions), and 2) Enable a "bicycle mode" in the game. As it stands now if you ride faster than 10.5km/hr, your distance traveled doesn't count towards hatching eggs. Most of my rides are at speeds from 20-30km/hr and the game should allow for cyclists to count distance ridden too.

KØWVM
11-09-2016, 12:44 PM
Would you believe they are coming out with a Harry Potter version?

kb2vxa
11-10-2016, 05:45 PM
"Haters gonna hate ... "
No discrimination here, I'm an equal opportunity hater. Give me an opportunity and I hate anyone regardless of race, color, religion, sexual orientation, sexual disorientation, political affiliation, etc. etc. etc.

Hairy Pooter? I thought by now he got run over by the Hogwarts Distress and put us out of his misery. Oh, this is GWR No5972 Olton Hall on the Hogwarts Express at Crewe 2005.