PDA

View Full Version : Need some advice on netbook parts.

K2GSP
08-26-2016, 07:58 PM
I have an Asus Eee PC 1000HD Netbook. The hard drive appears to have finally died. It will not reformat when trying to reinstall Windows XP. My question is this. Can I put this hard drive on the Netbook?

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822178255&ignorebbr=1

These are the specs for the netbook.

http://www.cnet.com/products/asus-eee-pc-1000hd-10-celeron-m-353-win-xp-home-1-gb-ram-120-gb-hdd-series/specs/

This is the HDD that is installed

Seagate Momentus 5400.4 120GB 5400RPM SATA 3Gbps 8MB Cache 2.5-inch Internal Hard Drive Mfr P/N 9DG132-285

Or does anyone have any alternative HDD that I could replace it with? Maybe an SSD of some kind.

I have not done anything with laptops of any kind. All my computers are desktops I have built. This is the only portable computer I have ever owned, so I have no experience with replacing parts.

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Greg

K4PIH
08-26-2016, 09:18 PM
It is a netbook after all, Asus at that. Not trying to be a pain, but ask yourself if it's worth it? Might be better to replace itcwith a windows tablet.

K2GSP
08-27-2016, 07:07 AM
It is a netbook after all, Asus at that. Not trying to be a pain, but ask yourself if it's worth it? Might be better to replace itcwith a windows tablet.

I thought of that, but if I can throw a thirty five dollar hard drive in it and it works. I'm OK with that. It sits in the living room and I use it for looking up stupid stuff and it holds my movie collection database on it.

KB3LAZ
08-27-2016, 10:23 AM

I have tried and tried to like using a tablet as a primary and I just can't do it. All said and done my tablet has ended up being a quinary device. Desktop, laptop, chrome book, phone and then tablet. In fact the tablet is redundant since I have upgraded to a smart phone. The chrome book was a replacement for my netbook and I like it for use in the living room to play on the net while my wife is watching something that does not tickle my fancy.

ad4mg
08-27-2016, 05:21 PM
I poked around a little, and could find no reason why the 320 GB Seagate HDD wouldn't work. Worst case scenario is that the BIOS may have heartburn with a partition that large, a problem easily solved by splitting the HDD into two "drives" (partitions).

I have an old Acer Aspire 5000 that I opted to put a SSD in. It made an amazing difference! I'd look around and seriously consider a SSD, although I'm not sure XP has support to fully take advantage of the SSD's capabilities. Even if it doesn't, the SSD will be much faster than a mechanical drive.

But, $45 for 320 GB? Yeah, it's worth a try!

I have an Asus Eee PC 1000HD Netbook. The hard drive appears to have finally died. It will not reformat when trying to reinstall Windows XP. My question is this. Can I put this hard drive on the Netbook?

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822178255&ignorebbr=1

These are the specs for the netbook.

http://www.cnet.com/products/asus-eee-pc-1000hd-10-celeron-m-353-win-xp-home-1-gb-ram-120-gb-hdd-series/specs/

This is the HDD that is installed

Seagate Momentus 5400.4 120GB 5400RPM SATA 3Gbps 8MB Cache 2.5-inch Internal Hard Drive Mfr P/N 9DG132-285

Or does anyone have any alternative HDD that I could replace it with? Maybe an SSD of some kind.

I have not done anything with laptops of any kind. All my computers are desktops I have built. This is the only portable computer I have ever owned, so I have no experience with replacing parts.

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Greg

VE7DCW
08-27-2016, 08:07 PM
I poked around a little, and could find no reason why the 320 GB Seagate HDD wouldn't work. Worst case scenario is that the BIOS may have heartburn with a partition that large, a problem easily solved by splitting the HDD into two "drives" (partitions).

I have an old Acer Aspire 5000 that I opted to put a SSD in. It made an amazing difference! I'd look around and seriously consider a SSD, although I'm not sure XP has support to fully take advantage of the SSD's capabilities. Even if it doesn't, the SSD will be much faster than a mechanical drive.

Interesting Luke.......I have an Acer Aspire One netbook that's 5 years old that now has problems with the ribbon cable to screen and has a cooling fan that has failed....I am contemplating removing the HDD from this machine and installing it in another netbook or laptop keeping my Windows 7 OS I have and in general transferring everything to a more functional machine.I like the netbook size and capabilities,and I can get my hands on another good used machine,so I'll go for it........ :yes:

K2GSP
08-27-2016, 09:22 PM

Thanks for looking for me.

K7SGJ
09-02-2016, 08:26 PM
I have a 1015pc and had it apart to put a ss drive in it. As I recall, the pc won't accept a 12.9 mm and it needs a 9.5 mm in order to get everything back together. There is a video online on youtube I think, that shows all the steps making the swap. I believe the last step has something to do with a Dempsey Dumpster.

NA4BH
09-02-2016, 11:30 PM
LOL

K7SGJ
09-04-2016, 01:54 PM
LOL

Looks like Joe is about to make a run. Are you tuned in and turned on?