PDA

View Full Version : Omni VI+

W3WN
08-25-2016, 09:43 PM
OK, here's an interesting one to ponder...

Tonight, I was loaned an Omni VI+ to consider for permanent placement in the shack.

It has a very unusual problem...

Receives great, until you switch in one of the CW filters. Then, sometimes the signal completely disappears, other times it goes way down, almost to nothing. (No problem with the 1.8 kHz narrow SSB filter, only the 500 & 250 Hz CW filters)

The current owner swears (and I believe him) that until about a year ago, everything worked fine. That was when he started having problems with 10 meters, sent it out for repair. The person repairing it took almost 8 months... suffice to say he had issues. The rig came back with 10 working, but the filters fluky.

I haven't done anything with it yet; first chance I get, I'm popping the filters out and making sure all the contacts are clean. Any other thoughts?

N8YX
08-26-2016, 10:20 AM
Have the schematics for the IF/Passband Board?

Have access to a scope or DVM?

First thing is to verify voltage at the header pins which control selection of the filters.

W3WN
08-26-2016, 12:05 PM
Schematic I have. I have to find my DVM.

W3WN
08-31-2016, 11:57 AM
Don't worry about it Fred. The rig has more problems than I first thought. The meter implies it's transmitting, but the external Daiwa SWR/watt meter doesn't move, at least on 40. (And I know the meter's good, since it works fine when I switch it to the O7). I'm beginning to suspect that the last two people who "fixed" the rig for Bill secretly used a golden screwdriver.

I'm going to make time over the weekend to look everything over very carefully, make sure we don't have something jostled out of place, or a switch bumped somewhere. Also make sure that my PS is working correctly, just to dot all the T's and cross all the I's. Unless I find something obviously amiss though, the rig's going back home to it's current owner.

Bummer.

W3WN
09-18-2016, 08:49 PM
Well, I was asked to take another look at the Omni VI before returning it. No change.

Then I got an email from someone with some suggestions on what was wrong with my original one. He asked me to verify it had power output, so I swapped rigs... And no power output. So I suspected something wasn't right.

Bad patch cable. Turns out both rigs put out 100 W on tune.

Worked a few guys in the Salmon Run this afternoon with the "eval" O6. Works great. Just not switching in the CW filters correctly.

So I may just keep the rig after all. We shall see. Still have to track down the filter switching issue.

W3WN
10-31-2016, 10:28 PM
FINALLY found someone who is familiar enough with the Omni VI+ -- my original one, that suddenly died on me, not the loaner (which I still have) -- who was able to take a look at it.

He got the rig today, and gave me an update tonight:

"I found that the VFO PLL was not working. It was stuck on one frequency and very unstable.

This radio does not produce an out-of-lock signal so it was able to produce output power in spite of the fact that the thing was way out-of-band.

I traced things around and find that the MC145156 PLL chip is ignoring data from the CPU. I know that the CPU is producing the control signals because I was able to put an Omni 5 board in and get it working."

So that's the bad news. The good news is that the chip isn't expensive -- Surplus Sales of NE is selling Motorola NOS chips for $5 each, and eBay sellers (of course, who knows what you're really getting with some of these guys) go from $.99 to about $3.50 each.

Including 2 hours bench time (between diagnosis and repair) I'm looking at about $175. He also says he can pull the chip from the Omni V board he mentioned, but since that would make the board useless, it would be another $25. He's ordered the chip from the UK. Take a few days to get here, but there's no immediate rush, and that's better than destroying the board.

This is not something that I would have ever diagnosed. Oh, I'd probably have figured out the board wasn't working right, but not that far. Needless to say, the next time I hear of someone parting out an O6 as a reasonable price, I'm going to try and stockpile a few spare boards.

I really miss using the O6. Nothing wrong with the O7, but the "feel" of the rig is different enough that it just seems like, well, that it's harder to use sometimes.

We shall see.

N8YX
11-01-2016, 06:56 AM
Following this thread and our initial dialog on the matter, the true problem with that radio was waaayyyy removed from an IF related issue.

Did the tuning ever work when the radio was returned from the first service trip? If not...that person may have damaged it when poking around inside the rig. Or - given the fact that CMOS devices are susceptible to failure due to substrate migration - the part simply died of age.

This is why I've been building up a stash of components for all of my favorite rigs. All ICs used therein are at the top of the spares list.

WØTKX
11-01-2016, 07:46 AM
This reminds me to fire up my Pegasus, have not turned it on in four years. :ashamed:

W3WN
11-01-2016, 11:20 AM
Following this thread and our initial dialog on the matter, the true problem with that radio was waaayyyy removed from an IF related issue.

Did the tuning ever work when the radio was returned from the first service trip? If not...that person may have damaged it when poking around inside the rig. Or - given the fact that CMOS devices are susceptible to failure due to substrate migration - the part simply died of age.

This is why I've been building up a stash of components for all of my favorite rigs. All ICs used therein are at the top of the spares list.
Ah, Fred, my bad here. You're confused. My doing, not yours.

This thread was originally about the Omni VI+ that W3WH loaned me. This is the one that had been sent to KJ4WS for what should have been a minor repair (issues with output on 10 meters), got waylaid for quite a long time, and came back working as a rig, but with the filter switching issue.

My update was not about THAT O6, but my original one (the one that I traded a TS-480SAT for a few years back). THAT is the rig currently in MO. I went to turn it on, and no receiver -- now I know why.

I was in a rush last night, and for some reason, thought this thread was about my rig, not the loaner.

The loaner still has the filter-switching issue, and yes, I'm convinced that Wade accidentally did something he shouldn't have done. Without the narrow filters, it's kinda useless on CW -- but for SSB, not an issue.

Bill & I have talked about the rig. For now, at least, once I get my 6 back, he's probably taking the loaner back and will get Gary to look at his as well. I think Bill's plan is (if all goes well, repair-wise) to keep the 6, along with his TS-990, IC-7300, and KX3. But he still has more radios in inventory than he's ever going to use on regular basis, which is why the Paragon and Scout are listed for sale. (I am VERY tempted by the Scout, but to be honest, I'm also in the more-radios-than-I-need boat, and unlike a certain SoCA Islander we all know, I have no plans to open a museum)

Again, sorry about the confusion.

And yes, I'm going to start stocking some spare parts. I believe that the new Ten Tec is able to do basic repairs on the Omni V & VI now, but when it comes to things like these NOS chips...

N8YX
11-01-2016, 12:00 PM
..which is why the Paragon and Scout are listed for sale. (I am VERY tempted by the Scout, but to be honest, I'm also in the more-radios-than-I-need boat, and unlike a certain SoCA Islander we all know, I have no plans to open a museum).

If a Paragon, I would agree with the sale. A Paragon-II? If I had to sell most of what I own, my two P-IIs, the Herc-II amps and the 253s are what I would keep. Heck, all the vintage Ten-Tec gear I have for that matter. Of course, it would be very hard to let all of the Drake 7-line stuff go, as it would certain Kenwood and Cubic gear. A lot of the stuff I've bought over the years is "tinker material". That is: Get it fixed (or modified), use the equipment until someone makes me an offer I can't refuse then send it home with them. The P-IIs, Omnis, Corsairs, TR7s/R7s and others have earned their spots in the lineup. I wish I had enough space to put them all out at once...as it is, I rotate the stuff in and out.

KG4CGC
11-01-2016, 12:20 PM
If a Paragon, I would agree with the sale. A Paragon-II? If I had to sell most of what I own, my two P-IIs, the Herc-II amps and the 253s are what I would keep. Heck, all the vintage Ten-Tec gear I have for that matter. Of course, it would be very hard to let all of the Drake 7-line stuff go, as it would certain Kenwood and Cubic gear. A lot of the stuff I've bought over the years is "tinker material". That is: Get it fixed (or modified), use the equipment until someone makes me an offer I can't refuse then send it home with them. The P-IIs, Omnis, Corsairs, TR7s/R7s and others have earned their spots in the lineup. I wish I had enough space to put them all out at once...as it is, I rotate the stuff in and out.

I've always admired your skill set sir. It is a good thing you don't do it on a large scale as you'd have to deal with the gym teacher types who want their money back.

W3WN
11-01-2016, 01:28 PM
Bill tried to interest me in the Paragon, after my O6 lost it's PLL mind. It's not a bad radio, not at all, considering when it was in Production.

But for me, after using the VI+ for all these years... in some ways it was a step backwards.

The rig is in very good shape. Someone who is a collector or who is comfortable with a Paragon will like the rig, and the price is good. It's just not a good fit for me.

I've always admired your skill set sir. It is a good thing you don't do it on a large scale as you'd have to deal with the gym teacher types who want their money back.
And sadly, we have so many of these out there. Much as we pick on the man from the cod cape, which he does bring on himself (but that's another story), he is far from the only one -- or even the worst one -- out there.

W3WN
12-14-2016, 08:48 AM
Update on my original VI+ (NOT the one that started this thread...)

It's fixed!

Turned out that it had some major problems on the PLL board. Gary WØDVN (aka DukesHiFi) has been working on it the last month -- most of the reason it took so long was getting that new PLL chip (see post above) took longer than expected, then he found a few other 'minor' problems (a few components that went bad... now did they take out the chip, or did the chip fault take them out? We shall never know). The final issue was getting everything aligned properly. Gary detailed this in a couple of posts to the reflector, which are now on the home computer so I will excerpt from them sometime tonight.

Now I just have to wait for the rig to make it's way home. Fortunately, Little Miss Field Day will be home from school all next week, so I won't have to worry about a box being left at the door, or waiting on a signature, or anything like that.

Meanwhile... Gary had also agreed with Bill W3WH to look at HIS Omni VI+ -- the very one that this thread was started over -- after mine came home. (Have to do it this way, since I borrowed the shipping box & packing material from Bill's Paragon.) So sometime in the next day or three, I'll go over that rig and see what else I can spot.

Oh, speaking of that Paragon... Bill sold it at the WACOM hamfest for a good bit more than he paid for it. I hope it went to a good home, it was a nice rig, just not for me.

So, things are looking up... famous last words...

K7SGJ
12-14-2016, 11:12 AM
Update on my original VI+ (NOT the one that started this thread...)

It's fixed!

Turned out that it had some major problems on the PLL board. Gary WØDVN (aka DukesHiFi) has been working on it the last month -- most of the reason it took so long was getting that new PLL chip (see post above) took longer than expected, then he found a few other 'minor' problems (a few components that went bad... now did they take out the chip, or did the chip fault take them out? We shall never know). The final issue was getting everything aligned properly. Gary detailed this in a couple of posts to the reflector, which are now on the home computer so I will excerpt from them sometime tonight.

Now I just have to wait for the rig to make it's way home. Fortunately, Little Miss Field Day will be home from school all next week, so I won't have to worry about a box being left at the door, or waiting on a signature, or anything like that.

Meanwhile... Gary had also agreed with Bill W3WH to look at HIS Omni VI+ -- the very one that this thread was started over -- after mine came home. (Have to do it this way, since I borrowed the shipping box & packing material from Bill's Paragon.) So sometime in the next day or three, I'll go over that rig and see what else I can spot.

Oh, speaking of that Paragon... Bill sold it at the WACOM hamfest for a good bit more than he paid for it. I hope it went to a good home, it was a nice rig, just not for me.

So, things are looking up... famous last words...

Custer said the same thing.

W3WN
12-14-2016, 11:39 AM
Custer said the same thing.But I've got a better looking mustache than he did.

K7SGJ
12-14-2016, 12:34 PM
But I've got a better looking mustache than he did.

True. Plus, yours is still attached to your lip.

W3WN
12-21-2016, 10:52 PM
The Omni VI+ returned home at about 4:30 this afternoon.

It was back in the shack, hooked up, and on the air before 5.

Good thing I took a few days off work, I need to spend about an hour on shack rearranging. The Omni VII is moving out of the main operating position, and back in place for setup as a remote-controlled rig. Which reminds me, my license for N4PY is up for renewal next month.

K7SGJ
12-21-2016, 10:58 PM

Good thing I took a few days off work, I need to spend about an hour on shack rearranging. The Omni VII is moving out of the main operating position, and back in place for setup as a remote-controlled rig. Which reminds me, my license for N4PY is up for renewal next month.

Don't forget to renew your HRD subscription, as well.

KC2UGV
12-22-2016, 07:33 AM

Nice!