PDA

View Full Version : How to perform special actions, especially within a thread

K7SGJ
08-06-2016, 09:12 AM
I have no idea how to do many of the cool things I see others using, but I'd like to. How about a place to post "How It's Done", where those who know how to do something can post the steps or key strokes for those of us who don't know "How It's Done". Also, there are some of us who have been shown how to do something several times, but age/memory............... It would be nice to have a place where we can just pop over, and see "How It's Done". And it wouldn't require some of us to try to use that pesky memory thingy.

For me, two things I would like to use come to mind:

1. Visible strike through i.e. a word or words with a line through tem.

2. How to do a Spoiler Alert

Thank youse guys in advance for your time and sharing your knowledge with an old man who can't remember shit.

N2CHX
08-06-2016, 09:19 AM
Put these open and close tags (strike, spoiler) in brackets [ ]

Like so:

(your shit you want striked here)

Shit you wanna hide as a spoiler here

W5BRM
08-06-2016, 09:28 AM
I'd like to know how to get chrome mobile browser to open spoiler tags and see uploaded attachments. Can't see either with mobile or full versions of the site with any mobile browsers

K7SGJ
08-06-2016, 10:36 AM
Put these open and close tags (strike, spoiler) in brackets [ ]

Like so:

(your shit you want striked here)

Shit you wanna hide as a spoiler here

Thanks Brian. That's exactly what I'm talkin about.

N2CHX
08-06-2016, 01:11 PM
Thanks Brian. That's exactly what I'm talkin about.

Uhhhh... You're welcome.

N2CHX
08-06-2016, 01:25 PM
I'd like to know how to get chrome mobile browser to open spoiler tags and see uploaded attachments. Can't see either with mobile or full versions of the site with any mobile browsers

I can see attachments without any problem. Upon investigation, the spoiler does not render correctly because the javascript NextSibling function it uses to hide and display the element is not implemented properly according to present standards. It will work on some browsers and not others. Mobile editions of browsers tend to leave out code that might allow an early implementation of a function to work, for the sake of saving resources.

K7SGJ
08-06-2016, 02:43 PM
I can see attachments without any problem. Upon investigation, the spoiler does not render correctly because the javascript NextSibling function it uses to hide and display the element is not implemented properly according to present standards. It will work on some browsers and not others. Mobile editions of browsers tend to leave out code that might allow an early implementation of a function to work, for the sake of saving resources.

Damn it Kelli. I'm sorry I fucked that one up. It's a eye thing or maybe a brain thing, or a heat thing, or a stupid shit thing. Anyway, thank you for your post. Now I know how to do those things. And when I forgot how to do them (later today probably) I can just look it back up.

sorry

WØTKX
08-06-2016, 03:26 PM
If you see something cool that is not done with the editor buttons (basic or advanced) try using "Reply With Quote".
It will show you the BB tags being used (similar to HTML methods) and you can simply copy the method.

For instance Kelli's example above... quoting it will show you what's going on.
This also works to see the emoticons, instead of using the button in the editor...

": roll :" ": evil :" ": angel :", etc. Remove the spaces after and before the colons in these examples to make them work.

It's easier to type them sometimes, eh? And please, insert colon jokes ASAP. :snicker:

And here is another resource...

http://www.vbulletin.org/forum/misc.php?do=bbcode

N2CHX
08-06-2016, 05:04 PM
Damn it Kelli. I'm sorry I fucked that one up. It's a eye thing or maybe a brain thing, or a heat thing, or a stupid shit thing. Anyway, thank you for your post. Now I know how to do those things. And when I forgot how to do them (later today probably) I can just look it back up.

sorry

Hahahahaha! Dude, no need to apologize. I figured you were either thinking about someone/something else or that I've reaaaaally not been around enough lately :mrgreen:

This could become a running joke, actually. I thought it was funny.

W5BRM
08-06-2016, 05:53 PM
Oh god...is my identity about to get hijacked??

NQ6U
08-06-2016, 06:06 PM
Here's a useful one which hardly anyone knows: . What it does is tell the vBulletin software to ignore any tags between and .

For instance, you know how you get the emoticon with sunglasses (8))when you have a numeral 8 at the end of a parenthetical statement? Well, if you put in front of it, it won't do that. Example:

"(I haven't voted since 1968)"

[noparse]"(I haven't voted since 1968)"

Here's the text for the second version:

Obviously, it's also good for demonstrating how to use tags, which is its original purpose.

WØTKX
08-06-2016, 07:27 PM
^^^ Cool Carlos, I just added a space to avoid that.

N2CHX
08-06-2016, 08:06 PM
Here's a useful one which hardly anyone knows: . What it does is tell the vBulletin software to ignore any tags between and .

For instance, you know how you get the emoticon with sunglasses (8))when you have a numeral 8 at the end of a parenthetical statement? Well, if you put in front of it, it won't do that. Example:

"(I haven't voted since 1968)"

Here's the text for the second version:

Obviously, it's also good for demonstrating how to use tags, which is it's original purpose

I forgot about that noparse tag. Cool beans.

WZ7U
08-07-2016, 01:05 AM
This. Thread. Rocks!

Finally, the rest of the story

PA5COR
08-07-2016, 03:44 AM
Yep, happens all the time here, the bastids.....;)

K7SGJ
08-07-2016, 02:36 PM
It's definitely impossible not to find none this caliber of incompetence anywhere else.

Who Gnu?