PDA

View Full Version : A SAD DAY

NA4BH
08-02-2016, 10:55 PM
History: I'm not a cat person

BUT

My son was given a cat,by his girlfriend at the time for his 16th birthday, guess where this led. Mom and Dad just became foster parents. I'll admit, I'm not a cat person, there I said it. But this cat went out of her way to win my approval. Shortly after her arrival to our family, she was chasing some imaginary demon and ran head first into the brick steps that led to the backdoor. She sat there dazed for a few moments and I said "You're the stupidest cat I've ever seen". Henceforth her name was Stoops, short for Stupid. Stoops would come into my shop to supervise what I was doing, I would remind her that she wasn't allowed in there. She would retreat back to the boundary line and watch. She would talk to me during this time and let me know what was going on in her world. Believe me, i actually understood her. Stoops turned out to be a damn good friend.

Well, today the time came to help an old friend out. After 16+/- years she had to be put to sleep. Damn where does time go? She was not one to be held or picked up, she hated that. But today she laid in front of the garage door and didn't move when I started the car up. I put her in the passenger seat next to me to me, no arousal. I was fortunate enough to be there when she took her last breath.

GOODBYE STOOPS

It's amazing how something so insignificant to the normal world can have such an impact on a life.

I am building a garage/workshop right behind the house, Stoops will always be with me because she will spend eternity under my slab. She is already missed, Goodbye 'Ol Friend.

KG4CGC
08-02-2016, 11:24 PM
:(

WØTKX
08-03-2016, 12:19 AM
Sorry man. And you are a cat person, anyway.

Because Stoops said so.

WZ7U
08-03-2016, 01:12 AM

Because Stoops said so.

Nailed it Dave.

Sorry about your loss Bob.

n6hcm
08-03-2016, 02:36 AM

Because Stoops said so.

that's always how it happens, i think.

PA5COR
08-03-2016, 03:46 AM
Sorry to read that, as cat person i know how you feel.
That last bit always hurts, been there, done it and cried my heart out for some felines i had and bonded with, and i'm not sorry for it.
Take care.

N2CHX
08-03-2016, 05:30 AM
Aww, I am very sorry for your loss.

W3WN
08-03-2016, 05:46 AM
Even though you know it's inevitable, it still hurts.

Our condolences.

KK4AMI
08-03-2016, 05:56 AM
Very sorry to hear about the loss of your kitty. You know the only way to ease the pain of that loss is to get another kitten.

N8YX
08-03-2016, 07:23 AM
Been there; done that more times than I care to count WRT pets. Each can teach you something...sometimes about them, but more often about YOU.

RIP, Stoops. You earned your rest.

NQ6U
08-03-2016, 08:38 AM
Sorry to hear of your sad day, Bob—and you're a cat person whether you know it or not. Cats are sneaky that way.

This kind of story always serves me as a reminder of how ephemeral cats are; whenever I hear one, I immediately go give mine some love.

WØTKX
08-03-2016, 08:41 AM
Both Milhouse (cat) and Boots (dog) are getting middle aged here.

Resigned worry, and closer observation with behavior.

And, we keep looking at rescue critters.

N8YX
08-03-2016, 08:58 AM
...And, we keep looking at rescue critters.

Rescue critters will find you - not the other way around...

WØTKX
08-03-2016, 09:19 AM
Yea, but you gotta go visit the rescue places and be patient.

We may get a doggie first. A Bichon mix is on the hit list.

I like terriers a lot, but Milhouse probably wouldn't. :lol:

K7SGJ
08-03-2016, 10:10 AM
Bob, sorry to hear about the loss of your buddy. I know how pets grow on you, and find a permanent place in the heart. Every time you go out to the new shop, she'll be there, waiting to fuck with your mind, that's their job. I know, that's what they do best. Since we moved out here, we have always brought our pets back home to rest. We have a special area under some Mesquite trees for them. There are over twenty of our buds out there. Not everyone has the ability to do that, but since we do, we like to put them to rest where they ran and played. Plus, it's a nice place to go and sit to relax and reflect.

Sadly, we are but temporary stewards.

n0km
08-03-2016, 10:15 AM
Sorry for your loss.

K4PIH
08-04-2016, 09:47 AM
Sorry that Stoops is SK. Yep, stoops was an "extra" special op in your shack.

KB3LAZ
08-04-2016, 11:25 AM
Sorry to hear about your fuzzy friend. I have been through it more than a few times in my life and as I am young I am sure I will be through it many more. Living out in the country critters just show up one day and then never leave. Dad always said not to feed them or they would stay, well, mom and I never listened. So cats and dogs find their way into my life quite frequently, some of them that only have a few years left on the clock by the time they find me. I figure this is because I live in farm country but people seem to think this is a dumping ground for unwanted pets. The fortunate ones get taken in but many get shot, hit by cars, starve or you name it.

I have always had a weakness for animals and have taken in raccoons, possums, skunks, rabbits, birds and other assorted animals that were abandoned by their mothers or injured. Never for more than a few days then they are typically better and on their way. My mothers boss is a game warden and he has, more than a few times, told me not to do such as it is not only illegal but a danger to myself...I cant help it. If you remember about 5 years back I started a thread about a pigeon that I found with an injured wing. He made a recovery and flew the coop, literally.

As was said above, each one teaches you something and adds to your life. While it is sad that you lost your friend, I am happy for both you and Stoops for having the opportunity to live and grow a friendship together. The world has funny way of sending things our way so who knows what the cosmos have in store for the future.

AA1OH
08-04-2016, 03:25 PM
Sorry to hear of your loss, we have all been there.

W3WN
08-04-2016, 07:57 PM
< snip >
I figure this is because I live in farm country but people seem to think this is a dumping ground for unwanted pets. The fortunate ones get taken in but many get shot, hit by cars, starve or you name it.
< snip >This was a pet peeve of my former father-in-law. Bill & Carol had a dairy farm down in Greene County, not far from Ruff Creek. He would get furious when, driving down the road, he'd see dogs sitting on the side of the road, obviously abandoned but still sitting there, waiting for their masters to come back and get them.

Cats adopted to being abandoned better, and there were always plenty of cats up at the barn. But dogs? Heartbreaking to see the poor things, loyal to a fault, patiently waiting for someone who would never return.

One day, a puppy wandered down by their house. A pit bull, which they named Moses (because he came out of the tall grass like Moses came out of the grasses by the river Nile... my ex in-laws were very religious, very fervent Southern Baptists). Carol took pity on him and gave him some water and a little food. He never left. He ended up living in a doghouse just off their front porch, and acting as their "security guard" for as long as I knew them.

That dog loved me, but I learned once never to spook him. I'd been down there for Pa QSO one weekend, up at my then brother-in-laws trailer. Sunday morning, 6 AM or so, in the dark, I woke up and went down to the main house to get a cup of coffee (the folks? up at 5; it was Sunday, they slept in). Moses didn't realize who it was, when I started coming in out of the dark, nearly broke his chain lunging at me, barking... until he realized who it was. Scared the hell out of me; didn't need coffee to wake up after that!

But, getting back on point, it's sad. There are plenty of shelters that will gladly take unwanted animals. There's no need to dump them. But some people, simply, can't be bothered to do the right thing.

NQ6U
08-04-2016, 08:09 PM
figure this is because I live in farm country but people seem to think this is a dumping ground for unwanted pets. The fortunate ones get taken in but many get shot, hit by cars, starve or you name it.

I had a real problem with packs of feral dogs that people had abandoned (or just let run free because "it's natural") killing my poultry on my place in Oregon. I learned to keep my .22 handy at all times.

WZ7U
08-04-2016, 09:10 PM
But some people, simply, can't be bothered to do the right thing.

That's the fact, Jack.

In all areas of their lives.

WØTKX
08-06-2016, 09:50 PM
If it's not too soon, one of the BEST vids about adopting a kitteh, EVER! :lol:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j29NGpo6rnA

K7SGJ
08-07-2016, 02:43 PM
I had a real problem with packs of feral dogs that people had abandoned (or just let run free because "it's natural") killing my poultry on my place in Oregon. I learned to keep my .22 handy at all times.

You did remember to remove that pork chop from your leg, right? The one you put there so your dog would come you.

KC2UGV
08-07-2016, 05:46 PM
Sorry I'm late, and even more sorry for your loss mate.:(