PDA

View Full Version : Hara Arena RIP

suddenseer
07-29-2016, 04:39 PM
Yep, what everyone knew was eventually coming, finally happened. The longtime home of Dayton Hamvention is closed. I do feel some fondness of the good old days back in the 70's. I remember recently waiting to see if I won the big prizes sitting in the main arena watching sizeable pieces of ceiling fall. I have stepped over little streams of raw sewage out in the flea market area from ruptured lines. Yes, it looks and smells just like you might imagine. The flea market exhibitors near the sewage eruption were not refunded. I have been to DARA meetings in the 90's when this issue was discussed. The University of Dayton arena, and parking lot would hold the flea market. There is a Dayton Public School football stadium that is shared with UD. Also, There is the huge Erwin Nutter Center at Wright State University. Near by class rooms, various sizes of lecture halls for forums. I have no idea what will happen. I can tell you this, get ready for sticker shock. DARA was getting HARA for bargain basement sub market venue prices.

http://www.arrl.org/news/good-bye-hara-arena-hamvention-to-relocate-in-2017

n6hcm
07-30-2016, 12:10 AM
I can tell you this, get ready for sticker shock. DARA was getting HARA for bargain basement sub market venue prices.

yeah. because hams have no problem spending more than $20 on anything ...

N8YX
08-01-2016, 08:09 AM
There are a number of inexpensive alternatives to consider if one wants to hold the event out of doors. First I would be looking at is a county fairground. Next, Mid Ohio Sports Car Course. (If available, that venue would be absolutely ideal for something like the Hamvention.)

The IX Center.

Segment it off into the used-gear flea market and new-gear display areas, in two separate but close-proximity facilities.

If I were DARA I wouldn't worry about the cheapskates. When you get the likes of the Norwegians, Saudis, Japanese and other DX hams gladly dropping the coin to come over and pay to enter the dump, I doubt they'll bat an eye if the ticket prices creep up a bit for a better facility. After all, for many hams this is THE vacation for them.

The rest can go back to haggling about a nickel off each PL-259 they buy in the flea market, or just not showing up at all.

suddenseer
08-02-2016, 06:21 PM
There are a number of inexpensive alternatives to consider if one wants to hold the event out of doors. First I would be looking at is a county fairground. Next, Mid Ohio Sports Car Course. (If available, that venue would be absolutely ideal for something like the Hamvention.)

The IX Center.

Segment it off into the used-gear flea market and new-gear display areas, in two separate but close-proximity facilities.

If I were DARA I wouldn't worry about the cheapskates. When you get the likes of the Norwegians, Saudis, Japanese and other DX hams gladly dropping the coin to come over and pay to enter the dump, I doubt they'll bat an eye if the ticket prices creep up a bit for a better facility. After all, for many hams this is THE vacation for them.

The rest can go back to haggling about a nickel off each PL-259 they buy in the flea market, or just not showing up at all.You nailed it. Starting next year it will be Xenia Hamvention at the Greene County Fairgrounds about 30 miles from Dayton as the crow flies.

W7XF
08-07-2016, 06:37 PM
Maybe, once it is in Xenia, no more Shitnado.