PDA

View Full Version : FCC NPRM "To Permit Greater Flexibility in Data Communications"

W3WN
07-28-2016, 02:11 PM
From today's FCC Digest:

AMENDMENT OF PART 97 OF THE COMMISSION'S AMATEUR RADIO SERVICE RULES TO PERMIT GREATER FLEXIBILITY IN DATA COMMUNICATIONS.
Proposed to amend Part 97 of the Commission's Rules regarding technical standards applicable to data communications that may be transmitted in the Amateur Radio Service. (Dkt No. 16-239 RM-11708 ).
Action by: the Commission.
Adopted: 07/27/2016 by NPRM. (FCC No. 16-96). WTB

In this Notice of Proposed Rulemaking (NPRM), we propose, in response to a petition forrulemaking filed by the American Radio Relay League, Inc. (ARRL), to amend Part 97 of theCommission’s Rules regarding technical standards applicable to data communications that may betransmitted in the Amateur Radio Service.
Specifically, we propose to remove limitations on the symbolrate (also known as baud rate)—the rate at which the carrier waveform amplitude, frequency, and/orphase is varied to transmit information—applicable to data emissions in certain amateur bands. Webelieve that this rule change will allow amateur service licensees to use modern digital emissions, therebybetter fulfilling the purposes of the amateur service and enhancing its usefulness.< snip >

In summary, we believe that the public interest may be served by revising the amateurservice rules to eliminate the current baud rate limitations for data emissions consistent with ARRL’sPetition to allow amateur service licensees to use modern digital emissions, thereby furthering thepurposes of the amateur service and enhancing the usefulness of the service. We do not, however,propose a bandwidth limitation for data emissions in the MF and HF bands to replace the baud ratelimitations, because the rules’ current approach for limiting bandwidth use by amateur stations using oneof the specified digital codes to encode the signal being transmitted appears sufficient to ensure thatgeneral access to the band by licensees in the amateur service does not become unduly impaired.< snip >

In the NPRM, we propose to amend the amateur service rules to change a technical ruleapplicable to data emissions that an amateur radio operator may use in his or her communications with otheramateur radio operators. Because “small entities,” as defined in the RFA, do not include a “person” as theterm is used in this proceeding or an individual, the proposed rules do not apply to “small entities.” Rather,they apply exclusively to individuals who hold certain Commission authorizations. Therefore, we certifythat the proposal in this NPRM, if adopted, will not have a significant economic impact on a substantialnumber of small entities. The Commission will send a copy of the NPRM, including a copy of this InitialRegulatory Flexibility Certification, to the Chief Counsel for Advocacy of the SBA.53 This initialcertification will also be published in the Federal Register
https://apps.fcc.gov/edocs_public/attachmatch/FCC-16-96A1.doc
https://apps.fcc.gov/edocs_public/attachmatch/FCC-16-96A1.pdf

N8YX
07-28-2016, 07:34 PM
So this brings us faster WinLink, right?

KG4NEL
07-28-2016, 07:57 PM
harumph harumph dumbing down of ham radio

harumph harumph in my day

harumph code

harumph Obama

W3WN
07-28-2016, 08:52 PM
Yup.

I can hear the Beard of Texas now.

NQ6U
07-28-2016, 09:12 PM

I just bought a sailboat today. I now view that as a good thing... :mrgreen:

http://i.imgur.com/9Dy0AtY.jpg

WZ7U
07-28-2016, 10:55 PM
Nice! Boat trip!!

KG4CGC
07-29-2016, 12:20 AM
3964? You're new ''home channel?''

NQ6U
07-29-2016, 07:28 AM
Nice! Boat trip!!

Get down here to SD and you've got one.

more pix here (http://imgur.com/a/DvidY/layout/grid)

KG4NEL
07-29-2016, 09:08 AM
Nice!

n0km
07-29-2016, 10:18 AM

Yes, it would make Pactor IV legal in the U.S.

NQ6U
07-29-2016, 01:34 PM
Nice!

It appears to be in amazingly good condition for an old boat but although I know a bit about boats, I'm doing the smart thing and having a professional survey done.

KG4NEL
07-29-2016, 01:36 PM
Yes, it would make Pactor IV legal in the U.S.

Proprietary systems on amateur radio rub me the wrong way.

NQ6U
07-29-2016, 01:54 PM
Proprietary systems on amateur radio rub me the wrong way.

Same here. It's why I don't like D-STAR.

WØTKX
07-29-2016, 06:10 PM
Oh, well, yea, proprietary. Again, still.

Could somebody please do an open source version that will work with these new rules?