PDA

View Full Version : The answer to the Question "WTF have they been putting in the water" has been answere

W5BRM
07-23-2016, 05:53 AM
https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/morning-mix/wp/2016/07/22/officials-detect-thc-marijuanas-active-ingredient-in-colorado-towns-public-water-supply/

The tests found something fishy in the water.

In the small town of Hugo, Colo., the water coursing through public pipes, officials say, has been tainted by THC. THC, as you may know, is the main psychoactive ingredient in marijuana.

On Thursday afternoon, authorities notified the town of about 800 people that the water should not be drunk, used to cook with or even to bathe

“I might have to go drink some water,” Patsie Smith, the former mayor of Hugo, quipped to the Denver Post.

Anyone up for a roadtrip? LOL

NQ6U
07-23-2016, 07:33 AM
Most likely the result of a bunch of inept cops. From the WaPo article:

“There is zero possibility that there’s anything like THC in the Hugo water,” Peter Perrone, owner of Gobi Analytical, told the Denver Post. Gobi Analytical is a Colorado-based recreational marijuana testing facility and the first state-approved lab of its kind.

“The amount of THC required would have to be financially ludicrous for anyone to do this as a practical joke,” said Dan Burgard, a chemist at the University of Puget Sound in Tacoma, Wash., by phone to The Washington Post. Burgard is currently studying THC traces in Washington wastewater. He does not believe that the Hugo contamination, if it exists, could stem from raw vegetable matter. Unless marijuana is smoked or cooked, the plants are not psychoactive.

“It’s probably a false positive from the test kit, that would be my gut,” he said.

KG4CGC
07-23-2016, 03:03 PM
THC metabolites does not THC make. Reminds me of the same premise still used by those who have their agenda that THC metabolites from 3 weeks ago means you are actively impaired.

n2ize
07-23-2016, 04:39 PM
The story sounds fishy at best. Someone would have had to dump an enormous amount of THC in the water supply for it to even register on a drug indicator test. The dilution factor is simply too great.The fact that they cannot provide detailed analysis as to THC content of the water indicates to me that this is a false alarm. Seems more like anti-legalization propaganda as in, "see you legalized it now we can't even drink the water without getting stoned". Oh, and the enormous amount of THC required for the water to test positive would have to be massively increased for the water to start having and physiological or psychological effects.

A few weeks ago a fake news article stated that the NYC water supply contained significant amounts of "Oxycontin" along with a drug that I never heard of called "molly". Maybe that story was the inspiration for the THC story.

KG4CGC
07-23-2016, 04:46 PM
Considering that it is not even soluble in water and it would be seen with the naked eye as an oil slick, yes, they story is nothing but fear mongering and taking advantage of people's lack of knowledge. That also means that it would have to be processed because the raw plant would do nothing in water except float until it eventually became water logged. Even then, THC molecules would not mix in with the water in such a way to cause "digestibility" by humans or other higher lifeforms. It would not kill fish or other wildlife.

WZ7U
07-23-2016, 06:05 PM
Amazing what some people think they can get away with

WØTKX
07-23-2016, 09:03 PM
Lincoln County Colorado. :doh:

koØm
07-24-2016, 02:03 PM
"Water Curing"

Considering that it is not even soluble in water and it would be seen with the naked eye as an oil slick, yes, they story is nothing but fear mongering and taking advantage of people's lack of knowledge. That also means that it would have to be processed because the raw plant would do nothing in water except float until it eventually became water logged. Even then, THC molecules would not mix in with the water in such a way to cause "digestibility" by humans or other higher lifeforms. It would not kill fish or other wildlife.

"Rumor has it...." If one were to stuff a mason jar with vegetable matter and then fill that jar with water and seal it for a week, pour out old water and fill with fresh water, seal and allow to soak another week, drain, repeat process for 4 cycles then, dry such vegetable matter by forced air so as not to allow vegetable product to mildew or mold. It will be "cured".

"Results (supposed)" Water has leached away all water soluble components leaving, vegetable matter still containing the non-water soluble components.

KG4CGC
07-24-2016, 02:22 PM
"Water Curing"

"Rumor has it...." If one were to stuff a mason jar with vegetable matter and then fill that jar with water and seal it for a week, pour out old water and fill with fresh water, seal and allow to soak another week, drain, repeat process for 4 cycles then, dry such vegetable matter by forced air so as not to allow vegetable product to mildew or mold. It will be "cured".

"Results (supposed)" Water has leached away all water soluble components leaving, vegetable matter still containing the non-water soluble components.

I wouldn't know about that, but ...

WØTKX
07-24-2016, 02:58 PM
http://www.snopes.com/2016/07/22/colorado-town-warned-about-thc-in-water-supply/

Concerns about the water were first raised by a Hugo company using quick “field tests” to check employees for THC, Yowell said. The simple tests are similar in function to home pregnancy tests in that they can return only two results: positive or negative.
Yowell said the company, which he did not identify, had been getting inconsistent results and decided to test a vial of tap water, expecting it to be negative. Instead, the test came back positive, and the company called authorities.

koØm
07-24-2016, 03:40 PM
http://www.snopes.com/2016/07/22/colorado-town-warned-about-thc-in-water-supply/

Your tap water is probably laced with antidepressants

<snip>
<snip>

There’s a good chance that if you live in an urban area, your tap water is laced with tiny amounts of antidepressants (mostly SSRIs like Prozac and Effexor), benzodiazepines (like Klonopin, used to reduce symptoms of substance withdrawal) and anticonvulsants (like Topomax, used to treat addiction to alcohol, nicotine, food and even cocaine and crystal meth). Such are the implications of environmental studies that have been leaking out over the past decade. Whether or not this psychoactive waste has any effect on the human nervous system remains unclear, but when such pharmaceuticals are introduced into the ecosystem, the fallout for other species is demonstrable—and potentially dire.

There’s no mystery to the way prescription medications wind up in our tap water. Whether you flush a bottle of old pills down the toilet or, more likely, excrete the remains of a daily dose (an estimated 80% isn’t broken down in our bodies), active chemicals get recycled back into reservoirs because sewage treatment plants aren’t able to filter them out. “They just fly right through,” says Michael Thomas, an associate professor of bioinformatics at Idaho State University.

:stickpoke: Now if we could get those folk upstream to stop pissing in our drink water, we might be OK

http://www.salon.com/2013/03/14/your_tap_water_is_probably_laced_with_anti_depress ants_partner/

WØTKX
07-24-2016, 07:26 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jQscSnjZGa4

kb2vxa
07-25-2016, 11:15 AM
It reminds me of a supposedly true story back in the hippie daze about some dippidy doodahs who poured a bottle of LSD in the Croton On Hudson Reservoir thinking they were going to turn New York on.

It's not always in the water, sometimes it's in the air. Once upon a time there was a disused incinerator on the outskirts of Jersey City, NJ cops had been using to burn marahoochie in for years and normally prevailing wind blew the smoke out over the Meadowlands before the sports complex existed. I thought this wasn't such a great idea with the gas shut off, just douse it with kerosene and light it, one day this led to a true story told by some friends living there. The wind unexpectedly changed and clouds of smoke blew into the city, people who had no idea what was happening went to hospitals, hippies had a good time and out of the confusion came a rather interesting day. Not long after the incinerator was demolished so the cops had to find another way to dispose of the happy weed.........

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IVZs2HHgfZk

K4PIH
07-25-2016, 11:39 AM
It reminds me of a supposedly true story back in the hippie daze about some dippidy doodahs who poured a bottle of LSD in the Croton On Hudson Reservoir thinking they were going to turn New York on.

It's not always in the water, sometimes it's in the air. Once upon a time there was a disused incinerator on the outskirts of Jersey City, NJ cops had been using to burn marahoochie in for years and normally prevailing wind blew the smoke out over the Meadowlands before the sports complex existed. I thought this wasn't such a great idea with the gas shut off, just douse it with kerosene and light it, one day this led to a true story told by some friends living there. The wind unexpectedly changed and clouds of smoke blew into the city, people who had no idea what was happening went to hospitals, hippies had a good time and out of the confusion came a rather interesting day. Not long after the incinerator was demolished so the cops had to find another way to dispose of the happy weed.........

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IVZs2HHgfZk

Again, I busted up laughing and my boss comes and asks what's so funny, so I showed him. He thought it was funny too, then we ate 2 large pizzas.

I also ordered 5 gallons of Hugo water

W3WN
07-25-2016, 02:21 PM
Why am I suddenly thinking of Jim Stafford & The Wildwood Weed?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YyQi-1Z2tN8

AA1OH
07-25-2016, 04:41 PM
Why am I suddenly thinking of Jim Stafford & The Wildwood Weed?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YyQi-1Z2tN8
Well it is better known than his "hit" "Cow Pattie"
Yes I grew up on Dr. Demento (KMET)

NQ6U
07-25-2016, 05:22 PM

That song (Cow Patti) was banished from my favorite radio station ever (KFAT out of Gilroy, CA) by listener acclaim.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oyHDMKoF_zI

WØTKX
07-25-2016, 06:52 PM
Well, he's not just another pretty foot... :mrgreen:

K4PIH
07-25-2016, 09:14 PM
She was just a young cowgirl and all the cowmenknewher

AA1OH
07-25-2016, 09:40 PM
I liked the moped named "Flame"

W3WN
07-26-2016, 10:55 AM
I too grew up listening to the good Doctor. Explains a lot, doesn't it?

That song (Cow Patti) was banished from my favorite radio station ever (KFAT out of Gilroy, CA) by listener acclaim.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oyHDMKoF_zI

From Fall 1980 - Fall 1982, I was on the air staff of WGMR-FM; became the Program Director after 3 months (mainly because the other guy quit). Morning DJ for the first year.

One morning, I'm playing Cow Patty. The Chief Engineer was around at the time. As soon as the 45 was done (yes folks, we still had vinyl back then), he took it off the turntable before I could, and broke it in half. It was his way of saying "don't play that song ever again"

He did that one other time... when I played a certain Monty Python song on the air. It was "I'll bet you they won't play this song on the radio". Complete with appropriate sound effects. I had to, it was a compulsion.

WZ7U
07-26-2016, 10:59 AM
I too grew up listening to the good Doctor. Explains a lot, doesn't it?

From Fall 1980 - Fall 1982, I was on the air staff of WGMR-FM; became the Program Director after 3 months (mainly because the other guy quit). Morning DJ for the first year.

One morning, I'm playing Cow Patty. The Chief Engineer was around at the time. As soon as the 45 was done (yes folks, we still had vinyl back then), he took it off the turntable before I could, and broke it in half. It was his way of saying "don't play that song ever again"

He did that one other time... when I played a certain Monty Python song on the air. It was "I'll bet you they won't play this song on the radio". Complete with appropriate sound effects. I had to, it was a compulsion.

Ron, if heaven has a radio station, I vote you DJ for eternity if those are on your playlist!!

WZ7U
07-26-2016, 11:08 AM
Found it!

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=Uj7zi9Tp5s4

KD8TUT
07-26-2016, 11:17 AM
Heh...

I've got a well.

Wait- that means I'm drinking my own pee.

Foiled again!

WZ7U
07-26-2016, 11:19 AM
But it is filtered.

Same excuse I used when I smoked cigarettes

AA1OH
07-26-2016, 01:12 PM
[QUOTE=W3WN;642944]I too grew up listening to the good Doctor. Explains a lot, doesn't it?
I was blessed in that KMET was the Dr.s home base and we had the 4 hour show every Sunday ( 6 to 10PM) with Jungle Judy and (something) Jim. Ended up with one of my 1947 Seeburgs full of Ruth Wallis only records.

WØTKX
07-26-2016, 02:17 PM
As soon as the 45 was done (yes folks, we still had vinyl back then), he took it off the turntable before I could, and broke it in half. It was his way of saying "don't play that song ever again"

I loved him as a kid and still do, may he rest in the Piece of Pie.

Soupy Sales left WJW-TV in Cleveland:

For health reasons, they got sick of me...

http://stream1.gifsoup.com/view1/1989729/soupy-sales-o.gif

Great story Ron. I love the absurd. It keeps me going.

Obviously, check my post count. :snicker:

NQ6U
07-26-2016, 02:52 PM
Found it!

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=Uj7zi9Tp5s4

They played that regularly on KFAT.

KG4NEL
07-26-2016, 08:33 PM
Fluoridation of water, Mandrake...

kb2vxa
07-27-2016, 08:35 AM
"I too grew up listening to the good Doctor. Explains a lot, doesn't it?"
If he lived in The State Of Confusion, New Jersey, I could say he was inspired by a certain pirate radio station with the most demented air staph ever to modulate a 6146. Those were the days when AM stations simulcast on FM for audiophiles (before audiophools) and AM was king. We avoided the usual Top 40 crap playing Heavy Metal before it degenerated into head banging noise, Underground and many groups nobody else ever heard of making ours a very popular station as my "listener surveys" derived from Saturday afternoon record request shows indicated. I did the Saturday night Sunday morning overnight when every other station broadcast Bible thumpers, an easy listening head set for stoners laid back riding the music. We got a rather surprising listener report from New Hampshire via Amateur Radio, he loved listening not only because he liked the music uninterrupted except for the every half hour station ID, ours was the only station not broadcasting Bible thumpers. It was nice to know that not only did my field checks show that we had a good 30 mile ground wave coverage, we also had at least one sky wave coverage listener too. Those were the days, 1965 to 1971 when a peak limiter glitch causing splatter raised a complaint from the CE of a station on our first adjacent and the FCC shut us down. Many thanks to the ARRL for schematics kindly provided by their Radio Amateur's Handbook and Frankenstein Laboratories that put it all together, also Marijuana Growers Of Columbia, without them so many people would have had a very boring period in their/our lives.

"Soupy Sales left WJW-TV in Cleveland" for WNEW-TV in New York, a big hats off to drunk as a skunk and twice as stinking Frank Nastasi and his hand puppets! There's Pookie, the little lion whose name I imparted to a certain Islander whose name shall not be revealed, I don't want my male anatomy removed without anesthesia.

n2ize
07-27-2016, 10:35 PM
I used to dig the jazz stations serving the NJ/NY metro area. I used to dig "Just Jazz with Ed Beech" on WRVR. then Phil Schapp on WBGO Newark. He still does a couple jazz shows on WKCR FM. Head banging music ? You must be talking about Beethoven.

WØTKX
07-28-2016, 07:10 PM
Peter Max painted while listening to jazz...

KG4NEL
07-28-2016, 07:50 PM
Head banging music ? You must be talking about Beethoven.

When I used to commute in DC traffic, I found that the most calming music was Rachmaninoff or Mahler turned up to 11.

KG4NEL
07-28-2016, 07:53 PM
Jazz to me is like bourbon...I've sampled the good stuff, I get the attraction, I'm just usually in the mood for something else.

Although I've been known to break out the Mingus and classic Ra from time to time...

NQ6U
07-28-2016, 08:21 PM
Jazz to me is like bourbon...I've sampled the good stuff, I get the attraction, I'm just usually in the mood for something else.

Although I've been known to break out the Mingus and classic Ra from time to time...

Heard Sun Ra and his Arkestra play at a joint in San Francisco back in the Eighties. The one thing I'll never forget is how he played one fairly straight up number, drifted off into ten minutes of spacey improvisation and then did a perfect three-note segue into Over the Rainbow. It was awesome.

WØTKX
07-29-2016, 05:54 AM
Sun Ra was amazing, the jams challenge, growing new neural connections in human brains.

For the players and the listeners.

KG4NEL
07-29-2016, 09:09 AM
I was going to see him at Moogfest this year, but he backed out :( Maybe next year...

NQ6U
07-29-2016, 02:09 PM
I was going to see him at Moogfest this year, but he backed out :( Maybe next year...

You were going to see Sun Ra? That might have been interesting since he died in 1993 but if anyone could pull off a gig from the afterlife, it would be him.

KG4NEL
07-29-2016, 02:27 PM
Oops, the Arkestra anyway :quiet:

NQ6U
07-29-2016, 02:46 PM
Back to the original topic, if anyone remembers it. Additional testing of the Hugo, CO, water supply has shown no signs of THC (http://www.denverpost.com/2016/07/23/hugo-water-safe-no-thc/). As predicted, the initial test kit results are now believed to have been false positives.

WZ7U
07-29-2016, 02:52 PM
Pffffft.......... oh yeah man. Dave's not here!

kb2vxa
07-30-2016, 01:50 PM
"I used to dig the jazz stations serving the NJ/NY metro area. ...WBGO Newark."
USED TO? I used to too Desmond (hidden pun) when I lived up north, down here they're piss weak on my indoor folded dipole so you can join me on line listening to the best Jazz New York radio has to offer.
http://www.wbgo.org/sites/default/files/listennow/wbgo_8000.asx

"Heard Sun Ra and his Arkestra play at a joint in San Francisco back in the Eighties."
I have a whole slew of his albums, but unfortunately the musician from Saturn didn't jam in the studio and I don't have anything live, yet.

"Sun Ra was amazing, the jams challenge, growing new neural connections in human brains."
They grow best when fertilized with THC and watered by shum of that red shtuff.

"Back to the original topic, if anyone remembers it."
Yeah I remember, do you remember back a few pages THC is not water soluble?