PDA

View Full Version : The Professional Patient Strikes Again

W3WN
07-22-2016, 09:47 AM
My cellphone rings shortly after 2:30 yesterday afternoon. Caller ID says it's my wife's office.

On the line is one of the Physical Therapists. Seems she's had a little mishap... they're checking her over at the doctor's area at the other end of the office, but she can't drive home... uh oh... and needs me to come and get her.

About a half hour later, Little Miss Field Day & I walk in. (I had to stop and pick up LMFD, she'd drive my car home, I'd drive the Boss home in her car). The Boss is sitting in a chair in one of the exam rooms, and her right arm from wrist to shoulder is getting acquainted with an Ace bandage.

Seems that she'd gone on her usual stroll during her lunch break (late since she was on the 9 to 6 shift yesterday), and was admiring something on one of the houses she could see, when she either tripped on something or stepped off a curb funny... went flying, landed primarily on her right elbow.

The good news is, X-rays show no broken bones, and they don't think she damaged any ligaments or tendons. Just a hard bump, aka a "bone contusion".

Needless to say, she was mortified.

Anyway, after they get done with the bandages, and get her fitted for a sling, and get her the Official Doctor's Note that she's not to return to work before Tuesday (and we have a follow-up with her doctor Monday morning), I get her home. She then calls Tracey, her supervisor to let her know what happened. Tracey's exact words? "Are you sure you can't work? You can still type with your left hand, can't you?" (And no, she wasn't kidding around)

* sigh * it's always something, isn't it?

KJ3N
07-22-2016, 09:53 AM
Anyway, after they get done with the bandages, and get her fitted for a sling, and get her the Official Doctor's Note that she's not to return to work before Tuesday (and we have a follow-up with her doctor Monday morning), I get her home. She then calls Tracey, her supervisor to let her know what happened. Tracey's exact words? "Are you sure you can't work? You can still type with your left hand, can't you?" (And no, she wasn't kidding around)

* sigh * it's always something, isn't it?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mh6dTVfHNVI

N2CHX
07-22-2016, 10:41 AM
Wow.

Glad she's mostly OK though.

W3WN
07-22-2016, 11:56 AM
Wow.

Glad she's mostly OK though.Yeah, me too.

You know, some days, all I need is a house full of radios and a couple of Pitt Bulls... nah, I'll never touch Pat for Drama. [ Besides, Drama is now LMFD's department... along with lighting, sound, costumes, backdrops, backstage, and of course singing, dancing, and other assorted parts of Musical Theatre ]

Although considering everything that they've fixed or replaced on her so far, I'm sometimes beginning to wonder how much of the original person is left! Shades of The Twilight Zone... or The Outer Limits... :twisted:

mw0pob
07-22-2016, 12:24 PM
in the same way you may like rare dx, perhaps she was chasing rare Pokemon

KK4AMI
07-22-2016, 12:29 PM
Yeah, me too.

You know, some days, all I need is a house full of radios and a couple of Pitt Bulls... nah, I'll never touch Pat for Drama. [ Besides, Drama is now LMFD's department... along with lighting, sound, costumes, backdrops, backstage, and of course singing, dancing, and other assorted parts of Musical Theatre ]

Although considering everything that they've fixed or replaced on her so far, I'm sometimes beginning to wonder how much of the original person is left! Shades of The Twilight Zone... or The Outer Limits... :twisted:

Best wishes to your wife, getting clobbered on the elbow just sounds painful.

That would make a great Twilight Zone episode "My Wife left me Piece by Piece".

W3WN
07-22-2016, 12:46 PM
in the same way you may like rare dx, perhaps she was chasing rare PokemonNo. That's my daughter's thing, not ours.

KD8TUT
07-22-2016, 03:13 PM
Hope she gets well soon bro. It's always scary when a spouse has a mishap. Been there and understand.

W3WN
07-23-2016, 08:27 AM
Hope she gets well soon bro. It's always scary when a spouse has a mishap. Been there and understand.
Thanks. She's feeling much better. Still sore, and I have a hunch she may have bruised a rib on the way down, but feeling better.

Very strange feeling at the Pirate game last night. LMFD got called in to work, so I went by myself (had to get the ladies their free T Shirts... yeah, that's right I went, they got the shirts). Pretty lonely sitting there. The semi-drunk 20-somethings sitting in front of me didn't help, nor did the talkative OF in the seat to my left who wanted to know all about... the bag we bring water bottles and snacks in with us. I'm not doing THAT today, if the Boss doesn't feel up to going, screw it, I'm watching the game from home in the A/C.

KG4CGC
07-24-2016, 03:34 AM
Hopefully this is just a minor inconvenience. Have her take some extra Vit C call her boss back in the morning. Is she expected to bring in a doctor's note?

1996, the place I was working at was sold and the new management required a doctor's note for each day away from work. Within a year's time 70% of the old staff was fired or left on their own.

W3WN
07-25-2016, 09:55 AM
Of course they want a Doctor's Note. She works in an outpatient office for the Physical Therapy department of a major Hospital that is owned by the largest insurer in the area. Why would the bureaucracy ever just take her word for it?

She saw the orthopedist this morning. Definitely a bruised but not a broken rib(s). Now her elbow, that he's not certain of. It's still more swollen than they'd like, and he is suspecting a hairline crack. But it could just be a contusion, so she's back on Wednesday morning for another looksie.

W3WN
07-27-2016, 10:18 AM
Swelling is down. They took more X-Rays this morning.

'Tis official.

It's broken. Bone is cracked right at the elbow joint.

The good news is that she won't need a cast, just keep the elbow wrapped in an Ace bandage. She is to exercise the elbow as much as she can. Returns to work on Monday, and they will start some PT also on Monday.

Could have been a LOT worse. Of course she's still embarrassed about the whole thing.