PDA

View Full Version : They smiled in my face...

X-Rated
07-16-2016, 06:44 AM
They told me that they wanted to close my office a few years back and move those functions to South Carolina. They paid me my severance and I was elegible for unemployment. I finally got a job in the industry 4 months ago and shortly after, I was told that I was being accused of trading secrets back to my old company. WTF? My old company contacted an engineer in my new company and made that claim. It's not only not true but it doesn't make sense. Why would they out their source of information? I talked to an attorney and there is nothing I can do. I don't know names and I didn't get fired. What a country. Neither company wants any kind of legal entanglement. You can't charge corporations with these things. It just sucks.

kb2vxa
07-16-2016, 08:12 AM
The key words to your whole post are "...I didn't get fired." That's all that's important here, I wouldn't lose any sleep over it. Just play Duck 'Em Fuck 'Em, duck and it flies over your head and it rolls off like water off a duck's back, fuck 'em because you just don't care. Like Alfred E., "What, me worry?"

X-Rated
07-16-2016, 08:20 AM
They will live for another day to try again. I don't see why they can make my life harder than it already is. I am on another probationary period at work until they can determine whether the threat is real and it will play into any promotion considerations as well. This can really cost me. I can do nothing.

WØTKX
07-16-2016, 09:11 AM
I got threatened with this once years ago, in the CAD/CAM arena. Turned out it was not legal in that situation. My previous employer then lost their dealership for those software packages.

KG4CGC
07-16-2016, 10:02 AM
Who did you piss off? Who is able to blame you to take heat off themselves over some shit?

X-Rated
07-16-2016, 12:37 PM
I pissed off a few people. We had quality issues that needed addressed and the company didn't want to make them right. I could show physically and show mathematically the issues that the customer saw and there was only one solution and that was to fix the damn issues. Asian factory issues then became my responsibility even though I had no authority to make any changes. I was trying to look out for my friends and family to assure the automotive product performance was as perfect as it could get. But like if the Takata air bags thing blows up in AVX's face or something like that, I have kept many of my notes to show what I had done and the recommendations I had made. I developed spreadsheets to check all my work so there were no errors. They refused to implement these ideas in other continental labs. They said they were too busy. International companies who worked with our labs overseas came back on me to find out why their projects didn't work. They knew they were being lied to by the other labs by the time they got to me. I offered the fixes but they knew someone would need to take the fall for the issues. So it was the dumb American who can't participate in Japanese only meetings.

kb2vxa
07-16-2016, 02:53 PM
"I pissed off a few people."
I can see that now and something else I see is how you did it, overstepping your bounds stepping on toes outside those bounds. My last employment was similar to yours, QC inspector at a source company making miniature electromagnetic components for military applications. That being said for no particular reason, you're learning the hazards of the corporate environment. Rule NUMBER ONE in ANY job is just do as you are told and keep your mouth shut. It used to be the squeaky wheel gets the grease, that was when it was a labor sided job market. Now it's a management sided job market and the squeaky wheel gets replaced. To sum it all up, don't be a loose cannon.

WZ7U
07-16-2016, 03:14 PM
That's fucked up!

Thanks for doing the right thing about it, even if it tries to bite you in the ass. Good luck!

WØTKX
07-16-2016, 03:17 PM
Dilbert has it right. I survive as "Wally".

X-Rated
07-16-2016, 04:49 PM
Thanks for the moral support.

WØTKX
07-16-2016, 05:36 PM
Well, yea. Your concern for my health issues off and on was noted, sir.

Backatcha. :)

W3WN
07-16-2016, 07:57 PM
They will live for another day to try again. I don't see why they can make my life harder than it already is. I am on another probationary period at work until they can determine whether the threat is real and it will play into any promotion considerations as well. This can really cost me. I can do nothing.
Hmmm. Maybe not. But if something like this was pulled on me, I'd be discussing the situation with a labor attorney.

For whatever reason, someone at your old company is harassing you. Maybe it's personal, maybe it's just someone playing CYA and using you as the fall guy. Maybe both. Regardless, a demand from attorney to provide evidence that there is truth to the accusation, or face a suit for damages for harassment, maybe just enough to get them to knock it off.

And if you do have an attorney ask for evidence, and they don't provide it (which the can't), it does show your currently employer that they are full of male bovine waste products.

X-Rated
07-16-2016, 09:03 PM
Hmmm. Maybe not. But if something like this was pulled on me, I'd be discussing the situation with a labor attorney.

For whatever reason, someone at your old company is harassing you. Maybe it's personal, maybe it's just someone playing CYA and using you as the fall guy. Maybe both. Regardless, a demand from attorney to provide evidence that there is truth to the accusation, or face a suit for damages for harassment, maybe just enough to get them to knock it off.

And if you do have an attorney ask for evidence, and they don't provide it (which the can't), it does show your currently employer that they are full of male bovine waste products.

I went to an old retired circuit court judge for assistance. He said I was lacking specific motive and I am lacking real damages. If I lose on a raise or a promotion, that's all heresay and is worthless to request for real damages. Since I wasn't fired at the time as a result, I have no real damages so they can say whatever they want to say and to whomever they want to say it. The court would look at it as if I am just paranoid. I have no rights. Thanks though.

W5BRM
07-17-2016, 11:01 AM
Defamation of character resulting in financial damage due to freeze of earned income increase (cost of living) and performance bonuses. Get a document from your current employer stating the specific reason noting the accusation by the previous employer.

WØTKX
07-17-2016, 11:42 AM
I know it stinks, but maybe a slow and careful move to another employer is the best.

Hell, since I got more healthy, I have been looking. But I have really bad teeth now. :)

X-Rated
07-17-2016, 01:33 PM
I'm so glad you are doing better, Dave.

I'll look around. I have been making millions for one company for 8 years so it's difficult to find a good reference if I can't trust who I have been making rich. They lost $13M in sales the 3rd quarter of 2016 as opposed to the 3rd quarter of fy2015 when I departed. The sales reps hate the new guy. I think they will turn it around but it will be awhile. I think I need to confront the old management and come to some agreement. The new company will provide me with nothing to help out. They don't want their hands messy. I'm just screwed.

PA5COR
07-17-2016, 03:42 PM
It;s a kind of Don Quichote fight, been there got the T shirt got shafted as well.

At least you know you did the right thing.

W3WN
07-17-2016, 06:25 PM
I went to an old retired circuit court judge for assistance. He said I was lacking specific motive and I am lacking real damages. If I lose on a raise or a promotion, that's all heresay and is worthless to request for real damages. Since I wasn't fired at the time as a result, I have no real damages so they can say whatever they want to say and to whomever they want to say it. The court would look at it as if I am just paranoid. I have no rights. Thanks though.Sorry I didn't get back to you earlier. I got back from the Vintage Grand Prix about an hour ago, just had to grab some dinner and get out of the sun for a little while...

OK, so IANAL yada yada yada. But my layman' take is that you don't have a case TODAY because you haven't suffered any damages YET.

If you are denied a promotion, or worse, lose your job, over this allegation of industrial espionage... That changes the situation. And I really hope for your sake that neither of those happens, and that your current employer decides to ignore the allegations pending evidence... Evidence that you know does not exist.

Even so, a letter form an attorney making inquiries over the allegations may still help. Especially if upper management, or at least some of them, are unaware of the shenanigans. At the very least, you may get a reply officially denying that any allegations were made, or that any allegations are actually, well, alleged. Which then shows to your current employer that this is a vendetta from an individual, which should be the end of that.

Also keep in mind that most companies will not want the publicity of being thought of as putting the screws, unfairly, to a former employee, just because they can, or because someone wants a scapegoat. EVEN IF it never goes to court, or it's likely that it would get thrown out... The bad publicity could be 100 times worse. Granted, they may not care. Then again, they might.

But let's hope for the best, and hope your employer decides the allegations are vacuous, and forgets the whole thing.

X-Rated
07-17-2016, 07:58 PM
Sorry I didn't get back to you earlier. I got back from the Vintage Grand Prix about an hour ago, just had to grab some dinner and get out of the sun for a little while...

OK, so IANAL yada yada yada. But my layman' take is that you don't have a case TODAY because you haven't suffered any damages YET.

If you are denied a promotion, or worse, lose your job, over this allegation of industrial espionage... That changes the situation. And I really hope for your sake that neither of those happens, and that your current employer decides to ignore the allegations pending evidence... Evidence that you know does not exist.

Even so, a letter form an attorney making inquiries over the allegations may still help. Especially if upper management, or at least some of them, are unaware of the shenanigans. At the very least, you may get a reply officially denying that any allegations were made, or that any allegations are actually, well, alleged. Which then shows to your current employer that this is a vendetta from an individual, which should be the end of that.

Also keep in mind that most companies will not want the publicity of being thought of as putting the screws, unfairly, to a former employee, just because they can, or because someone wants a scapegoat. EVEN IF it never goes to court, or it's likely that it would get thrown out... The bad publicity could be 100 times worse. Granted, they may not care. Then again, they might.

But let's hope for the best, and hope your employer decides the allegations are vacuous, and forgets the whole thing.
I will do what I can when I can. Thanks for the tips. I know that there isn't a real legal defense team here but I guess I wanted to air this out. I was thinking about putting the details on LinkedIn. But that may not be a good idea. I can try to communicate with a ham at the old company as well. So I can keep you all updated.

KC2KFC
07-18-2016, 03:40 AM
As an old departed friend of mine used to say, "Go to work, do your job as they tell you, and take their money. You need it more than they do."

kb2vxa
07-18-2016, 04:46 PM
That's just what I said only put in different words, I'm glad Che agrees with me. (;->) The way I see it is some fool believes heresy... uh, hearsay and doesn't understand the Commandment "thou shalt not bear false witness against thy neighbor" has a little attachment, "the first is believed until the second testifies". Perhaps this bug in the right ear will kill the bug in the left and this BS will be laid to rest. The bottom line worth regurgitating... reiterating is unlike so many unfortunate ones you have a job, so don't make mountains out of mole hills and don't lose sleep over it.

X-Rated
07-18-2016, 08:59 PM
As an old departed friend of mine used to say, "Go to work, do your job as they tell you, and take their money. You need it more than they do."

Well, these are good words of advice. Even after I left my job, I call my contactswithin the companies I sold product to. I want to have a clear conscience that I have not caused anyone and injury or death. Like the airbag problems were a mechanical issue and not an electronic issue. I just couldn't just "do my job as they told me" because I didn't want things like the vision systems that people rely on in their high end cars to keep from someone dying. I was definately stupid for taking my job seriously. People don't care whether someone out there is looking out for them. I should have just worried about me. Believe me. I have kicked myself enough over this.

WØTKX
07-18-2016, 09:14 PM
Integrity goes as far as the Pointy Haired Boss. Which means, there is none.

KC2KFC
07-19-2016, 09:00 AM
Well, these are good words of advice. Even after I left my job, I call my contactswithin the companies I sold product to. I want to have a clear conscience that I have not caused anyone and injury or death. Like the airbag problems were a mechanical issue and not an electronic issue. I just couldn't just "do my job as they told me" because I didn't want things like the vision systems that people rely on in their high end cars to keep from someone dying. I was definately stupid for taking my job seriously. People don't care whether someone out there is looking out for them. I should have just worried about me. Believe me. I have kicked myself enough over this.
The alternative is for you to start your own company and show the big guys how it's done. I'm sure you would be very successful because you have the talent, the training and the integrity to do the job properly.

X-Rated
07-19-2016, 05:47 PM
The alternative is for you to start your own company and show the big guys how it's done. I'm sure you would be very successful because you have the talent, the training and the integrity to do the job properly.

But of course I have the funds to buy $20M of equipment and buildings. Why didn't think of that? Thanks.

KC2KFC
07-20-2016, 02:23 AM
But of course I have the funds to buy $20M of equipment and buildings. Why didn't think of that? Thanks.
I guess you're better off just bitching about it.

PA5COR
07-20-2016, 03:06 AM
You come first.
You can never satisfy any employer, so you go through the expected motions with your own interest always in mind.
How much good you do for any employer, he will kick you to the curve in one second flat if he feels like it.
Every other worker will heed sentence one, at your cost.
Back to sentence one.

X-Rated
07-20-2016, 03:08 AM
I guess you're better off just bitching about it.

I know. No one else bitches about anything. I should be glad that am slandered in the workplace. Yada yada.

X-Rated
07-20-2016, 03:37 AM
You come first.
You can never satisfy any employer, so you go through the expected motions with your own interest always in mind.
How much good you do for any employer, he will kick you to the curve in one second flat if he feels like it.
Every other worker will heed sentence one, at your cost.
Back to sentence one.

This was not intended to be about me losing my job for keeping motorists safe. This is about me trying to get on with my life. I made a decision about my old company needing to make quality parts and I figured it would cost me. I figured it would cost me if I didn't. So I did what I thought was right. I don't think you will find a thread anywhere that I complained about losing my job for these reasons. I just can't believe that 2 years later I am being lied about in my new company. The dynamic at work is different now. Management at the top whom I have never met know about this. Maybe it's a good thing. I would doubt it.

X-Rated
07-20-2016, 03:41 AM
If the old company came back and told the truth about me losing my job there by saying that I demand quality parts to specifications, I imagine the new company would drop me like a hot cake. So maybe it's better they just accused me of corporate espionage.

WØTKX
07-20-2016, 08:13 AM
Years ago, I got my first cool job... in magnetics, as in magnetic heads. Worked in the electronic side for quality control. They had little quality and no control.

The VP of engineering was a great guy, and very concerned, due to the "silios of stupidity". He tasked his two favorite engineering techs with finding out why.

That was me, and another guy who worked in the early floppy disk head division. We checked and checked. The metrology side of my department insisted that all the ferrite core samples (little rings that got wound like toroids) passed all the tests, as dictated by procedure. The procedure was done via programmed HP-41CV calculators and the magnetic card strips. Engineering wrote the program. My buddy in the Floppy Disk division found the error.

Prgaram had a bug (human error) and all the the calculations were wrong due to one step that caused everything to pass. And argued that we should be fired, because we were obviously incompetent, and only had two years of college/trade school. It was too late, but we did not get fired. IBM, Burroughs, Hitachi and HP had beeen rejecting our product for a couple of years, and had stopped ordering already. Less than a year later, almost 2K folks lost their jobs, the family run business got sold off to ALPS, for the patents.

Your story is a doppelganger to mine. Bastids.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=maC51Eq1B5E

X-Rated
07-20-2016, 04:11 PM
It sucks. I had a customer who had an issue with the spurious response of the crystal. The issue was exasperated by the fact that the factory specified a circuit for this crystal. They had been buying the crystal for years but had them in the field for a short time. Auto owners were returning back up cameras en masse. I found the problem quickly and recommended the circuit be changed. The customer refused since our factory recommended that circuit design. So the factory would have to sort and yields would have to plummet. The factory balked and my Big corporate boss came to my office to discuss the details. The factory people were there smiling from ear to ear because they believed that I would not be able to show cause for the added testing. When I showed them the circuit oscillated on the spurious response, the big manager was like going crazy on the factory guys. Those smiles disappeared quickly. I should have acted stupid and admitted that there was really no issue. But I proved my point. I was on a hit list from that day forward.

WØTKX
07-20-2016, 05:05 PM
Speaking the truth to power means the power will bury you.

Therefore, I abdicate to the glory of Wally.

X-Rated
07-21-2016, 06:27 AM
My philosophy has always been that I could find another job. It has been very difficult this time. I am a year and a half out from 60 and 8 years out from retirement. Even when I get a job, they are out there lying to my employer about me. Literally making things up. They were really pissed when their sales dropped so drastically when I left. They were proud when they got on the AVL approved vendor list with Apple. Then iPhone sales tanked. They don't understand how to look for the waves to properly ride the surf. The #1 competitor moved in to the same area where my office was filling the void they left. But they are looking for only a bench tech and don't want to pay a whole bunch. I wouldn't be "bitching" about anything if they would keep to themselves and let me live my life. But I figured I would hear of someone eluding to the fact that they see no harm in former employers lying to present employers. They just have to try to confuse the issue and attack. Thanks.

WØTKX
07-21-2016, 09:23 AM
I fee the same, and am experiencing the same.

n0km
07-21-2016, 02:48 PM
I'm not counting on finding anything much between now and 62. I am in a rural area, my politics differs from most of the locals, and would rather not move. The upside is that I am finding I can live pretty cheep.

X-Rated
07-21-2016, 05:02 PM
What's your line? We bought a house in the boonies so we are living pretty cheaply now. But there's always new bills for something.

WØTKX
07-21-2016, 05:44 PM
I'm not counting on finding anything much between now and 62. I am in a rural area, my politics differs from most of the locals, and would rather not move. The upside is that I am finding I can live pretty cheep.

Yea. Kind of makes me wonder if could/should collaborate and do something cool.

Between the two of us we do Winders, *nix and other electronics, eh?

X-Rated
08-13-2016, 10:04 AM
This has been sitting crosswise in my crop since the day I was dragged into the engineering management office so I wrote a message to him to revisit the situation. Well I did not know he would be on vacation for 2 weeks after I sent it to him so he got back yesterday. He claimed no one was accusing me of corporate espionage pretty much as before (but it was alluded to. ). Anyway he said someone thought they understood me to say that I was communicating with my former employer. No. That never happened. I never told anyone that I was communicating with my former employer and that's not what he was saying earlier. They were phishing. I think they were anyway. He said that they were happy with my work and that they considered me to be a "true blue" employee. He sang only praise to me. A lot of water ran under that bridge in the last few months. He had a lot of time to check his sources and rethink things. But as of this moment the issue of my former employer backstabbing me is not there. I may just be making things up. Not consciously. But being pulled into the office for such a thing was blowing me away. Now it's nothing. I don't know how I could be just imagining the whole thing.

WØTKX
08-13-2016, 11:06 AM
You were not. My current job situation is incredibly frustrating. Since I am a technical guy and not an MBA, how could I have anything relevant to say or do? Watching incredible amounts of money and time being spent on window dressing that does not change results is crazy, but the hierarchy feels better.

The invisible finery of garments and what not. I do exactly what I am told to do at this point. Since my wife just took a better job for her sanity, with incredibly poor health insurance, I must stay where I am, and put her on my insurance. Despite my wishes that I hope to retire soon after 65, and would like the freedom to leave as soon as Medicare kicks in for a happier place to work.

It does not matter. I exist to serve.

http://12d38d224c2abe5fa63a-1db4ec0fed747b962fac0a483e2c9d9e.r18.cf2.rackcdn.c om/579C1EBB-3B09-4BE9-A90E-4218B1A694CB.jpg

W3WN
08-13-2016, 05:35 PM
I don't think you imagined anything.

i do think your supervisor found the accusations baseless, as you expected. But rather than admit he was duped, he would rather pretend nothing happened.

My advice is to drop it, for now. But keep your eye and ears open. Just in case.

X-Rated
08-14-2016, 08:52 PM
I will totally drop this. No doubt about that. I still have companies calling me from my trying to find work over the past few years. Maybe something better will develop there as well. There are so many engineers out there needing my experience in crystal meth(ods).