PDA

View Full Version : Facepalm Moments

W3WN
07-13-2016, 02:16 PM
The only question is, is this a one facepalm moment, or a double?
--
So we have a procedure in place to create electronic documents (PDF) out of our agency management system, essentially a version of what most people think of as a mail merge (ie, canned standard document format that data is filled into depending on the client, the insurance app, and so forth)

I get a call to help one of our Commercial Lines users with a scanning issue. I notice that the document he's trying to scan is a printed version of one of these 'canned' documents, only on company letterhead and signed.

So I ask him... why?

You see, we created several years ago, for some of these document sets, a version that includes as header & footer the layout of the letterhead. The idea being that we can create a PDF on the fly that looks EXACTLY like the printed-to-letterhead-paper version, for electronic delivery. Including the signature of the appropriate person. I put a lot, and I do mean a LOT, of hours creating all of these, years ago, and still put in several hours each month on updates, revisions, new versions, and so forth. Saves time, and saves paper... we figured anywhere from one to three reams of letterhead each day, and that adds up over time.

So why is he going to the trouble of printing, signing, and then scanning the document, when it's 'duplicate' can create the EXACT same thing? (I should add that this is someone in his late 20's, not a curmudgeon the age of a gym teacher who's grumpy and set in his ways)

"Oh. I guess I could. But I need the exercise."

So:

One?

Or Two?

WZ7U
07-13-2016, 10:43 PM
Three. The third on your customer, with a ball pein hammer (OK, just a little hammer) as backup.

What a doofus! I'm glad he's not my customer. He is a customer, right?

And here I was lamenting not getting into IT all those years ago

kb2vxa
07-14-2016, 10:05 AM

W3WN
07-14-2016, 01:02 PM
Three. The third on your customer, with a ball pein hammer (OK, just a little hammer) as backup.

What a doofus! I'm glad he's not my customer. He is a customer, right?

And here I was lamenting not getting into IT all those years agoI'm in-house IT support. So in a manner of speaking, he's my "customer", but no, he's a co-worker.

I once started getting direct phone calls from someone at one of our customers, asking for IT support. She'd been given my name & phone number one time to handle a particular issue with getting someone's Auto ID card processed... so she called me for all sorts of things. Most of which related to her work computer and printer and such, none of which I have any access to. Boy, did she put up a squawk when I kept telling her that I couldn't help her, she had to talk to her own IT people. I finally had to say something to my boss, as it was getting out of hand... they want us to give "heroic service" but this was getting ridiculous. It finally took a call from him to this woman's boss to point out that yes, I am IT support, but only for internal IT.

WZ7U
07-14-2016, 11:09 PM
He's a coworker?

You are authorized to use the 16oz ball pein

kb2vxa
07-15-2016, 02:19 PM
What you need is an IT Conquered The World monster for your desk.

W7XF
07-19-2016, 03:11 AM
He's a coworker?

You are authorized to use the 16oz ball pein

No, No!!! The 48 oz. ball peen!!!

KG4NEL
07-20-2016, 01:24 PM
No, No!!! The 48 oz. ball peen!!!

My BFH in the Jeep is a 48oz engineer's sledge. It's effective...