PDA

View Full Version : TBHQ

KG4CGC
06-30-2016, 01:00 AM
TBHQ the additive in ramen noodles.

http://www.metaspoon.com/instant-noodles-health-warning/?fb=2053M1Mwr3565tD&utm_source=2053M1Mwr3565tD

This might explain a few health issues I experienced a few years ago when everything seemed to go to shit in a bucket. Apparently the medical industry has profited from this tidbit of chemical stew.

PA5COR
06-30-2016, 04:09 AM
One reason i cook myself from fresh products and cut the salt considerably, and feeling a lot better by it as all the ready to go products.
Cheaper as well if you look around buying fresh stuff.

KC2UGV
06-30-2016, 07:48 AM
Interesting... Ramen causes metabolic syndrome, whose symptoms all mirror someone who is obese, and has been for more than a couple of years.

I wonder if they controlled for obesity in the study?

FWIW, I eat a decent portion of ramen noodles (Great camping food). I do not have metabolic syndrome. Lots of friends refuse to touch Ramen noodles, because "unhealthy". They are obese, and a number suffer from metabolic syndrome.

I'm leaning more towards obesity causing metabolic syndrome, than Ramen noodles.

KG4CGC
06-30-2016, 10:37 AM
No clue but I have never been obese. A little pudgy from time to time but not obese.

I still believe it's poison though and the food industry is in cahoots with the medical industry.

K0RGR
06-30-2016, 03:14 PM
Yes, metabolic syndrome is code for "lard ass disease". I've had it a long time, though I did recently lose 70 lbs., and am keeping them off.

Some foods do have more impact than others. My nemesis is breads and I avoid them whenever I can. I order hamburgers with no bun, and I love, love, love Jimmy John's 'unwich'. Avoiding bread also eliminates fatty sandwiches. Give me a chunky peanut butter with onions or sweet pickles on some really good whole grain bread, and I'm in heaven, but just thinking about it makes me fat. Damn, now stop thinking about it....

I have no doubt ramen noodles can have this effect on someone whose body processes carbs very efficiently. I, too, lived on ramen noodles for a long time, and I think I gained weight on them, too.

When I was in my early 20's, I lived about two miles from Taco Bell. I had recently lost over 100 lbs., and I was in the habit of walking everywhere. I would come home in the evening, and walk the two miles to TB, get one super burrito and a diet Coke, and walk the two miles home. That was my total calorie consumption for the entire day. I gained weight. But I ended up being treated for malnutrition because I wasn't getting the vitamins and minerals your body needs from the burrito. I guess there was so much filler in the meat that it had little nutritional value other than 'empty calories'.

kb2vxa
06-30-2016, 03:15 PM
I simply don't like the taste, or lack of taste depending on the product. Then there is one that has some sort of white powder in it "they say" is needed for cooking, I say it tastes like chemical. PATOOEY! All in all I'd rather make my own from scratch and believe me, scratch can be painful so keep a first aid kit handy.

KG4CGC
06-30-2016, 09:52 PM
A little more background.

2001. I was active daily. My job required Olympian strength and endurance 5 to 7 days a week 10 to 12 hour shifts. I started eating ramen to save money for ham gear. I had an occasional drink but was smoking. After about 3 to 4 weeks of ramen I started putting on weight. I thought I was just getting old so I started bicycling 3 to 4 times a week, cut back on smoking and ate more fruits and vegetables but I kept putting on weight and started feeling like shyte. I didn't put 2 and 2 together with regard to the ramen. I eventually started to feel a little better after finally getting the ham gear and started cutting back on the ramen but I don't think I fully recovered.

Back then I heard that it was the flavor packets that had the bad stuff in them so I never used those and flavored it with teriyaki sauce and average kitchen condiments. I thought I was doing all the right things. I'll be looking for a class action lawsuit to appear on television with regard to the ramen noodles we get here in the US.

KC2UGV
07-01-2016, 08:30 AM
A little more background.

2001. I was active daily. My job required Olympian strength and endurance 5 to 7 days a week 10 to 12 hour shifts. I started eating ramen to save money for ham gear. I had an occasional drink but was smoking. After about 3 to 4 weeks of ramen I started putting on weight. I thought I was just getting old so I started bicycling 3 to 4 times a week, cut back on smoking and ate more fruits and vegetables but I kept putting on weight and started feeling like shyte. I didn't put 2 and 2 together with regard to the ramen. I eventually started to feel a little better after finally getting the ham gear and started cutting back on the ramen but I don't think I fully recovered.

Back then I heard that it was the flavor packets that had the bad stuff in them so I never used those and flavored it with teriyaki sauce and average kitchen condiments. I thought I was doing all the right things. I'll be looking for a class action lawsuit to appear on television with regard to the ramen noodles we get here in the US.

They key question here is: How much ramen did you eat? They are, in fact, loaded with calories. 380 calories per package. So, if you're lunch is 2 packets, that's over 700 calories in a single meal. Two meals like that? You're at 1400 cals, almost enough to maintain weight if you're sedentary (ie, office worker).

And, most people are shocked to learn how few calories they need, being moderately active (Such as your job)... 2200 cals per day, to maintain a healthy weight for most folk.

W5BRM
07-01-2016, 09:34 AM
Ramen noodles are pasta. Pasta is made with flour. Flour is made grain. Grain is bad for me. I eat no bread, pasta, cereals, rice or anything that is a "filler"

Ramen has no nutritional value. No vitamins or healthy things. Its all empty calories.

I used to be a ramen addict. Maybe not quite as Pat MHZ but bad enough. That was one of the major reasons I could never get my diabetes under control nor lose any weight.

I cut out all that crap and have lost over 120lbs in 18 months. My blood sugars are very well controlled, I recently had my dr reduce my meds. All because i don't eat ramen or anything similar.

KG4CGC
07-01-2016, 01:32 PM
Could just be aging but I feel like I've acquired a sensitivity to more chemicals. I still like chlorine though.

NA4BH
07-01-2016, 08:52 PM
Ramen noodles = a full head of hair.

NQ6U
07-01-2016, 08:57 PM
According to Herman Melville, men are better cooked. Long pig, yo.