PDA

View Full Version : Last Day

W3WN
06-20-2016, 12:01 PM
Today is Little Miss Field Day's last full day as a teenager.

Tomorrow, at about 11 AM, she officially turns 20.

(Come to think of it, that was also the last day I had a full head of black hair & a black beard... Hmmm... )

Now I feel old.

K4PIH
06-20-2016, 08:14 PM
HB to little miss field day. Great pix with Kurt Engle. I hear he's a pretty decent fellow.

WX7P
06-21-2016, 12:12 PM
Today is Little Miss Field Day's last full day as a teenager.

Tomorrow, at about 11 AM, she officially turns 20.

(Come to think of it, that was also the last day I had a full head of black hair & a black beard... Hmmm... )

Now I feel old.

YOU feel old?

Carone will be 30 in a few months...

W3WN
06-21-2016, 12:36 PM
HB to little miss field day. Great pix with Kurt Engle. I hear he's a pretty decent fellow.
He is. Or at least he was on Saturday.

He posed for pictures for anyone on the teams who wanted one, big smile, no questions asked. Answered a lot of questions, sometimes the same ones over & over (as can happen when some of the people are autistic or have learning disabilities). Never a moment of complaint. Even though he'd mentioned to the adults (when our team was on the field) that his knees were bothering him quite a bit, and so forth... the kids never knew.

W3WN
06-21-2016, 12:37 PM
YOU feel old?

Carone will be 30 in a few months...
I have a picture somewhere, a snapshot taken on the day LMFD was born. (I should scan & post it). She's in her mother's arms... watching a Pirate game.

So tonight, we go full circle. Only it will be in Section 217 behind home plate at PNC Park, not in a hospital bed up at AGH.

KG4NEL
06-23-2016, 12:19 AM
20's a boring birthday.

21, however...

WZ7U
06-23-2016, 01:08 AM
20's a boring birthday.

21, however...

Don't remind Daddy of these things young'un. Makes him snippy

KK4AMI
06-23-2016, 05:31 AM
I'm happy to say I do not remember my 21rst. But, I do remember that it took forever to get to 21. After that my birthdays just racked up fast like dollars on the debt clock. Where did time go?

WX7P
06-28-2016, 09:37 AM
I'm happy to say I do not remember my 21rst. But, I do remember that it took forever to get to 21. After that my birthdays just racked up fast like dollars on the debt clock. Where did time go?

I'm almost afraid to admit this, but I did something really LAME on August 16, 1979, my 21st birthday.

I went around to a bunch of stores in Fremont, CA and bought one beer at each store. Got carded every single time.

NQ6U
06-28-2016, 10:37 AM
I'm almost afraid to admit this, but I did something really LAME on August 16, 1979, my 21st birthday.

I went around to a bunch of stores in Fremont, CA and bought one beer at each store. Got carded every single time.

That's not lame, that's funny. Wish I'd thought of it.

I went out with my father and had my first (legal) drink at a restaurant where I worked as a dishwasher while I was in high school.
washer.

kb2vxa
06-28-2016, 11:54 AM
HBDLMFD!

Maybe my story is the funniest, you decide if age ping pong is funny. Living in the NJ part of the NYC metro area when the NJ age was 21 and in NY it was 18 we went "over (to) the island" (Staten Island) to get served. Along came Vietnam and "we're too young to drink but old enough to die" so down it went to 18 and we stayed in Jersey. By the time it went up to 21 we were all past 21 and stayed put for the most part, except for me which is the lead in to the next story.

I had a lot of friends in Mariners Harbor, Staten Island I visited from time to time and one day we went to the local gin mill I was well known in since I was 18, I was 25 and the barmaid knew us all by name. We sat down, she came over, we ordered and the only one she proofed was me. WTF? Naturally I was a bit upset, my buds looking on incredulously, I hadn't been proofed ONCE since the first night I showed up, everyone including her knew it. No apology, still she demanded proof, so silently we all got up and walked out never to be seen there again. Lead in number two...

Meanwhile, one evening at home I saw this fireball erupt to the east-northeast and a characteristic mushroom rise followed by a loud explosion. For a moment I thought they had finally gone and done it, but then I remembered if they had I would have been blinded by the flash. Soon a news flash came over the radio, there was an explosion and fire at the Esso Bayway refinery in Elizabeth. I found out the next day some friends were coming home from "the island" and as they were on the connector ramp just outside the refinery fence, a cracking tower just inside exploded right next to them. The blast threw the car out of control up an embankment, no damage and no injuries except for a bit of what may be best described as shell shock. HOLY SHIT! There are beer farts and then there are BEER FARTS!

W3WN
06-28-2016, 02:07 PM
It is possible that the waitress had a good reason to do that, even though she knew you personally.

Did/does NY State have the equivalent of the Pennsylvania Liquor Control Board (PLCB)? (Either as a separate government agency or as part of another, such as the State Police)

If so, it is possible that there was an agent present who was watching her (and everyone else) to see if they were verifying ID's before serving, as required by state law. No verification for someone who 'looked' too young or almost too young? Establishment and/or server(s) & bartender(s) get busted.

I used to see this all the time, back when PLCB had their own enforcement corps. (Now folded into the Pa State Police, i believe) and back when I could still enjoy a drink... any drink...

Maybe she couldn't tell you, especially if she knew or was tipped off and couldn't let on that she knew. It does happen.
---
True story:

One year during the running of the original late, lamented Phi Psi 500 race (it's motto was "can you drink 6 beers in 6 bars in 6 minutes?" ) the Penn State ARC was asked to help the race organizers with communications from the aforementioned 6 bars. I got stationed in a dive called the Rathskeller.

Older gentleman, thin white hair, clearly a man in his 50's, comes in with his wife. Orders a Rolling Rock, then joking tells the server "I left my ID in the hotel, that's not a problem, right?" Well, the joke was on him. There were PLCB agents in that bar, in every one of the bars -- I got carded on entry, even though I was "race staff" and I wasn't drinking! (I think I was 22 at the time) The bouncers and servers all knew the agents were there, it happened every year...

So this yahoo makes this joke, not knowing that sitting right next to him at the next table was an agent! Server told him "I'm sorry sir, but without ID, I can't serve you!" Yahoo protests. Agent stands up, shows his ID, and informs the yahoo (in a deadly serious voice, think Sgt. Friday) that the server is only following the law, and that he can be cited for not having ID... so he'd better leave. And if he refuses to leave, there's a State College Borough cop just outside the door (there was)

The yahoo left, spitting flames. And then his wife got on his case for being such a stupid idiot... she must have been in the military, the adjectives she used...

KD8TUT
06-28-2016, 09:32 PM
This thread reminds me of my own crazy times.

Was at a junior college in the north suburbs of Chicago for a couple of years. Could usually get into bars at 18- no one cared. But we used to road trip up Rt83 to Wisconsin to a bar just north of Antioch IL, called "Horsing Around"- where 18 was legal. Any college student north of University of Illinois Circle Campus could be found there. Kids would drink- and drive back.

My circle of friends were not irresponsible drinkers. We always left someone sober to drive. But most kids were not responsible.

Anyhow, we used to play roadblock bingo.... if the "designated driver" was able to get us home without hitting a roadblock checking for drunk kids- he'd be allowed to drink the next time and someone else would be the sober driver.

Admittedly, we enjoyed being let go every time we were stopped because our driver was stone cold sober.

KG4NEL
06-28-2016, 10:28 PM
It is possible that the waitress had a good reason to do that, even though she knew you personally.

Did/does NY State have the equivalent of the Pennsylvania Liquor Control Board (PLCB)? (Either as a separate government agency or as part of another, such as the State Police)

If so, it is possible that there was an agent present who was watching her (and everyone else) to see if they were verifying ID's before serving, as required by state law. No verification for someone who 'looked' too young or almost too young? Establishment and/or server(s) & bartender(s) get busted.

I used to see this all the time, back when PLCB had their own enforcement corps. (Now folded into the Pa State Police, i believe) and back when I could still enjoy a drink... any drink...

Maybe she couldn't tell you, especially if she knew or was tipped off and couldn't let on that she knew. It does happen.
---
True story:

One year during the running of the original late, lamented Phi Psi 500 race (it's motto was "can you drink 6 beers in 6 bars in 6 minutes?" ) the Penn State ARC was asked to help the race organizers with communications from the aforementioned 6 bars. I got stationed in a dive called the Rathskeller.

Older gentleman, thin white hair, clearly a man in his 50's, comes in with his wife. Orders a Rolling Rock, then joking tells the server "I left my ID in the hotel, that's not a problem, right?" Well, the joke was on him. There were PLCB agents in that bar, in every one of the bars -- I got carded on entry, even though I was "race staff" and I wasn't drinking! (I think I was 22 at the time) The bouncers and servers all knew the agents were there, it happened every year...

So this yahoo makes this joke, not knowing that sitting right next to him at the next table was an agent! Server told him "I'm sorry sir, but without ID, I can't serve you!" Yahoo protests. Agent stands up, shows his ID, and informs the yahoo (in a deadly serious voice, think Sgt. Friday) that the server is only following the law, and that he can be cited for not having ID... so he'd better leave. And if he refuses to leave, there's a State College Borough cop just outside the door (there was)

The yahoo left, spitting flames. And then his wife got on his case for being such a stupid idiot... she must have been in the military, the adjectives she used...

NC ABC hires college students for this. $10/hr summer money to go around to the bars and try to bust places.

Every so often, the reason is clear: http://abc11.com/news/murder-charges-filed-in-triple-fatal-crash/875075/

KG4NEL
06-28-2016, 10:30 PM
it's motto was "can you drink 6 beers in 6 bars in 6 minutes?

One of these days, I'm going to do a beer mile. My DD had family plans come up this year, so I had to back out :(

W3WN
06-28-2016, 10:54 PM
Last I heard was that due to the, ah, changing nature of fraternities and alcohol (at least publicly), the Phi Psi 500 no longer involved bars, or beer.

Shame, as it was all in good fun, and no one got TOO wasted. But times change.

First time I saw the "pack of Trojans" gag, long before History of the World Part I, was during the 'anything goes' competition at the Phi Psi. 6 Schmucks in sheets, sandals, and very fake 'Roman' head gear, all standing together in a bottomless cardboard box. (Obviously the sheets were token togas... and I do not, nor do I wish to ever, know what those 6 fools were wearing underneath them)

KG4CGC
06-30-2016, 12:31 AM
Happiest Natal Anniversary to the harmonic. Frozen caramel latte macchiato?

W3WN
06-30-2016, 09:48 AM
Happiest Natal Anniversary to the harmonic. Frozen caramel latte macchiato?
Nah. She still drinks milk. With Ovaltine. Lots of Ovaltine.

KG4NEL
06-30-2016, 11:18 AM
So that's what they call it these days.

kb2vxa
06-30-2016, 02:13 PM
Well frankly neither I nor any of my friends gave a good (insert expletive here) about agents or the root of the insult, an insult to one is an insult to all regardless of where it came from, so the insult returned was the permanent loss of our business. That having been said there is one more thing by the looks of what I just read, spot checks are bad for business and those agents certainly don't make friends of the owners or their employees. There's always the bar down the street, they can't be everywhere at once. Oh, that's two more things.

"She still drinks milk. With Ovaltine. Lots of Ovaltine."

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rZ5_SyvxDXE