PDA

View Full Version : Serial Numbers

NQ6U
06-17-2016, 05:41 PM
Putting this here so not just anyone can view it.

What's all y'all's opinion on being asked for the serial number of a piece of ham gear you're offering for sale online? I'm not sure if it's a reasonable request, part of a scam or an insult.

kb2vxa
06-17-2016, 06:16 PM
I don't know what to make of such a question, I never heard of such a thing. I have no reservations about answering such a request, but being it's so unusual after satisfying it I would want my curiosity satisfied. Yours is such an unusual question, why do you ask?

NQ6U
06-17-2016, 06:47 PM
Yeah, I went ahead and posted the SN. I know the radio isn't stolen or anything since I purchased it from the original owner, a college professor, two or three years ago.

NA4BH
06-17-2016, 08:52 PM
The ICOM 746 PRO had a problem prior to serial number 9,XXX. The backlight was faulty, they caught it and fixed the problem. I thought I had one that was past the bad serial numbers, WRONG......

NA4BH
06-17-2016, 08:53 PM
Yeah, I went ahead and posted the SN. I know the radio isn't stolen or anything since I purchased it from the original owner, a college professor, two or three years ago.

Watch them report serial number XXXX was stolen from them and they know where it is. :rofl:

NQ6U
06-17-2016, 11:47 PM
The trick to the backlight problem is just to keep it at full brightness all the time. And even if it goes bad, the fix it pretty easy--just swap out a transistor.

NA4BH
06-18-2016, 12:40 AM
Already did that. POS

K7SGJ
06-19-2016, 11:22 AM
I'm with the give em the SN. When I post something for sale that does have a serial number, I post it or show it in a photo. This way the buyer knows he is getting what was advertised. So far, I've never had any issues.

But then, I could be full of shit, too.

KC2UGV
06-19-2016, 01:36 PM
I think the request for them is twofold:

* Oft times a block of serial numbered items is bad, and after a while, it's known
* Some hams post the sn# of gear that was stolen. Let's hams cross ref that.

KG4NEL
06-19-2016, 10:06 PM
Putting this here so not just anyone can view it.

What's all y'all's opinion on being asked for the serial number of a piece of ham gear you're offering for sale online? I'm not sure if it's a reasonable request, part of a scam or an insult.

I was asked about this once when I was selling my 706, as apparently some S/Ns were part of a production run that likes to blow their finals. Seemed reasonable.

K7SGJ
06-19-2016, 10:22 PM
I was asked about this once when I was selling my 706, as apparently some S/Ns were part of a production run that likes to blow their finals. Seemed reasonable.

There are a lot of old men here. Don't say blow, or final. We get shaky very easily.

NQ6U
06-20-2016, 12:47 AM
There are a lot of old men here. Don't say blow, or final. We get shaky very easily.

And then we blow our finals.

WZ7U
06-21-2016, 03:16 AM
Pop! Pheew.

W3WN
06-21-2016, 08:03 AM
Pop! Pheew.
Febreeze!

n0iu
06-21-2016, 09:43 PM
But then, I could be full of shit, too.

Don't ever give us that option!

kb2vxa
06-28-2016, 01:35 PM
"There are a lot of old men here."
Old AM Gangstas too and speaking of which I have a recording of some AM Geezer Rock recorded on 3885 written and performed by The Huz Man Steve WB3HUZ. Here are the lyrics only because the forum software won't accept the large file size. (:-<)

Since I blew my final
I've found a new place to dwell
Down at the end of Yellowy Street
At Piss Weak Hotel

Now I'm so piss weak
Now I'm so PISS WEAK
Now I'm so piss weak I could die

Although the band is crowded
I can still find some space
But's what's the use of tryin'
You can't hear me any place

reprise