PDA

View Full Version : Splash one SDR Transceiver....

KD8TUT
05-23-2016, 10:07 PM
Not having the best of days in ham radio...

My neighbor, who by agreement allowed me to extend my windom onto his property, is putting in a new garage. Sadly his contractors did not respect my property line, moved all my furniture, and left the long end of my 40m OCF windom coiled at the foot of the tree it was suspended from.

I keyed my radio for the first time in a week without knowing this... and there's "that smell".

It's one of those days where I'm crying like a kid with a skinned knee.

N8YX
05-24-2016, 11:33 AM
Did they actually come on your property?

If so, you may have grounds for a lawsuit to recover your damages.

NQ6U
05-24-2016, 12:26 PM
I have this weird superstition—after a long period (more than a few days) away from the shack, I always use an analyzer on my antennas before I start to use them. I've found a problem only once, but that was enough to make it worth the trouble all the other times.

KD8TUT
05-25-2016, 05:50 AM
Did they actually come on your property?

If so, you may have grounds for a lawsuit to recover your damages.

Yes they did. But I'm not a lawsuit kinda guy unless there's life or limb involved.

KD8TUT
05-25-2016, 05:52 AM
I have this weird superstition—after a long period (more than a few days) away from the shack, I always use an analyzer on my antennas before I start to use them. I've found a problem only once, but that was enough to make it worth the trouble all the other times.

I get that way about my equipment being stolen- which is a bit irrational because my animals would maul anyone they didn't know if they entered the house.

Making a survey today so see what I can do to get the antenna back up, and I've recieved some fed back that the finals may have survived- but I have to run some tests to be sure.

K7SGJ
05-25-2016, 09:57 AM
Yes they did. But I'm not a lawsuit kinda guy unless there's life or limb involved.

Are you still using a dry-cell and a light bulb to check your antenna and calculate your swrs? I am assuming you have that conversion chart to calculate Dosy Watts.

NQ6U
05-25-2016, 12:00 PM
Are you still using a dry-cell and a light bulb to check your antenna and calculate your swrs? I am assuming you have that conversion chart to calculate Dosy Watts.

Maresy Watts and Dosy Watts and little Abu Dhabi.

WØTKX
05-26-2016, 05:00 PM
My condolences in your loss of the majik smoke...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EbUC1aGOjHI

kb2vxa
05-28-2016, 02:08 PM
Honey I shrunk the Mythbusters!

W3WN
05-30-2016, 12:31 AM
I would still have a word with them come Tuesday, or if they are done, with your neighbor.

And take pictures before you put anything back, if it's not too late.

KG4CGC
05-30-2016, 03:39 PM
I would still have a word with them come Tuesday, or if they are done, with your neighbor.

And take pictures before you put anything back, if it's not too late.

Don't forget totally shaming them on their own FB page as well as all over social media.

K4PIH
06-02-2016, 08:00 AM
Horse head?

KD8TUT
06-02-2016, 08:23 AM
Don't forget totally shaming them on their own FB page as well as all over social media.

Two things... while the radio probably was damaged- it is functioning. So I'm glad of that but realize it;s probably temporary.

Second, I think the foreman peed down the leg of his pants while I talked to him. Causing that is one of my few talents.... being Italian American and all.