PDA

View Full Version : I Never Heard Of This Group ?

N8GAV
05-13-2016, 03:00 PM
Anyone know of a group the Salvation Army has called SATERN? The reason I ask this morning I took some things down for our local Salvation Army's rummage sale tomorrow, ran into the Capt. who is in our club Tech class he asked me if I ever checked into a net they have.

W3WN
05-13-2016, 06:02 PM
Yes. They're very active around here.

I'm not sure what the full story is, although I'm sure that it's out on the Net somewhere... Or at least a version or three.

They support the S A, the same way that the Red Cross has their own Amateur network that supports their various services.

WØTKX
05-14-2016, 07:55 AM
http://www.satern.org/

N8GAV
05-14-2016, 02:36 PM
http://www.satern.org/

I checked that out Dave, seems like The Red Cross don't want to work with Ham Radio anymore around here. We started a new group for ECOMM here, getting out of ARES BS. We call it TERA ( Tri-State Emergency Radio Association) since we don't have a ARES group in Brooke County West Virginia, and Ohio don't allow to cross state lines to help out anymore, we just told ARES bye-bye. So far it getting approved by EMS directors on both side or the Ohio River.

W3WN
05-14-2016, 03:31 PM
I checked that out Dave, seems like The Red Cross don't want to work with Ham Radio anymore around here. We started a new group for ECOMM here, getting out of ARES BS. We call it TERA ( Tri-State Emergency Radio Association) since we don't have a ARES group in Brooke County West Virginia, and Ohio don't allow to cross state lines to help out anymore, we just told ARES bye-bye. So far it getting approved by EMS directors on both side or the Ohio River.
It is unfortunate that you had to do that.

But I've seen similar things happen around here.

Some of the people who are supposed to be running these things for the benefit of all of us end up running them to feed their own egos, and forget why they were there in the first place.

I saw the Battle of Beaver County between the two dominate clubs, fed in large part due to the ego of the then-EC, now a SK. I've seen a group split off from the Butler County club and the county ARES organization to form their own club, due to some egos on both sides. I've heard a former Allegheny County EC declare that the ARRL can't tell her what to do, and that SHE will decide what is best for the county ARES group... And then wonder why she was dismissed as EC when her appointment was up.

One of the original concepts behind ARES was that it was to double as the RACES group, so that they could do training and other events without worrying about the RACES restrictions on such... And then "switch hats" seamlessly when RACES would be officially activated. Instead, we now have areas with completely separate ARES & RACES groups, little to no overlap in membership, and sometimes feuding with each other.

And don't even get me started on FEMA and the changes that they've required. I can't participate in certain ARES events in the county any longer, unless I take and pass several FEMA courses. Why? Because FEMA says so. Right now, if I get a call from the local hospital to help run their EOC, technically I can't. It's already causing a small schism in my club, as there are several members who want to really get involved with the hospital, and don't understand why some of us don't want to jump through (IMHO) totally unnecessary hoops to do so.

WØTKX
05-14-2016, 03:31 PM
Yea, I did Red Cross and Civil Defense stuff when I was a kid.

Benton Harbor Lunchboxes on AM instead of HT's. ;)

W3WN
05-14-2016, 03:32 PM
Yea, I did Red Cross and Civil Defense stuff when I was a kid.

Benton Harbor Lunchboxes on AM instead of HT's. ;)Gooney Birds on 6 meter AM. Those were the days...

WØTKX
05-14-2016, 03:42 PM
Yea, the Senecas were cool. I upgraded to an HA-750 for 6 meters. ;)

"Hacked" it for CW too.

http://www.eham.net/data/classifieds/images/297600.jpg

N8GAV
05-14-2016, 03:52 PM
It is unfortunate that you had to do that.

But I've seen similar things happen around here.

Some of the people who are supposed to be running these things for the benefit of all of us end up running them to feed their own egos, and forget why they were there in the first place.

I saw the Battle of Beaver County between the two dominate clubs, fed in large part due to the ego of the then-EC, now a SK. I've seen a group split off from the Butler County club and the county ARES organization to form their own club, due to some egos on both sides. I've heard a former Allegheny County EC declare that the ARRL can't tell her what to do, and that SHE will decide what is best for the county ARES group... And then wonder why she was dismissed as EC when her appointment was up.

One of the original concepts behind ARES was that it was to double as the RACES group, so that they could do training and other events without worrying about the RACES restrictions on such... And then "switch hats" seamlessly when RACES would be officially activated. Instead, we now have areas with completely separate ARES & RACES groups, little to no overlap in membership, and sometimes feuding with each other.

And don't even get me started on FEMA and the changes that they've required. I can't participate in certain ARES events in the county any longer, unless I take and pass several FEMA courses. Why? Because FEMA says so. Right now, if I get a call from the local hospital to help run their EOC, technically I can't. It's already causing a small schism in my club, as there are several members who want to really get involved with the hospital, and don't understand why some of us don't want to jump through (IMHO) totally unnecessary hoops to do so.

Here's something else going on with the Red Cross Guys, They almost DID NOT renew their agreement with ARES because anyone that works, volunteer, or whatever they require a background check and a credit check. I need a background check and a credit check to bring my HT to help communication during an emergency so I might get a cup of coffee and a donut from you ! Don't think so. So they dropped that for now. They said if they can do it without ham radio they will so good luck.

WØTKX
05-14-2016, 04:06 PM
Well, you can always join a local preppers group. :evil:

N8GAV
05-14-2016, 04:13 PM
Well, you can always join a local preppers group. :evil:

Don't have any around here that I know of, but who knows there are some want to be soldiers running around the woods here.

K4PIH
05-14-2016, 10:25 PM
The Baptist and Mormon churches also have their own ops

KG4NEL
05-16-2016, 07:35 PM
Don't have any around here that I know of, but who knows there are some want to be soldiers running around the woods here.

Most of the people I've seen who claim to be "preppers" could stand to do a fair bit of running.

Or jogging. Or any actual physical exertion.

Zombieland rule #1 - cardio.