PDA

View Full Version : so ... which variety of linux is favored for amateur radio these days?

n6hcm
04-19-2016, 10:39 AM
ubuntu, or mint, or ... ?

i have an old stinkpad x60 that i want to use for rig conntrol (against a FT-857D) ... will probably want other stuff too.

KC2UGV
04-21-2016, 07:33 AM
I like Ubuntu, and use it for Rig control with FLDigi's suite. What other stuff would you be looking for?

n6hcm
04-22-2016, 02:43 AM
that's a fine start. what i didn't want to do, ultimately, is march forward with a redhat-based distribution when all the radio stuff is on ubuntu ...

KC2UGV
04-22-2016, 05:59 AM
that's a fine start. what i didn't want to do, ultimately, is march forward with a redhat-based distribution when all the radio stuff is on ubuntu ...

To be honest, I think Fedora is more "up to date" with their ham packages than Ubuntu/Debian, however, I could be mistaken. I just use Ubuntu because I've used Ubuntu for years at home. At work, I do the Redhat thing. There are a lot of people who swear by Fedora.

Worst case? If there's a missing package in the repos, you're just a "git clone; configure; make && make install" away from getting it, on any distro.

W3WN
04-27-2016, 09:50 AM
A new flavor of Ubuntu was just released earlier this week. Version 16 if I recall correctly.

I'm currently running Ubuntu on an IBM ThinkPad T42. However, it's running Ubuntu 12.04 LTS. There were some issues regarding Ubuntu 14, in light of the processor & memory; for what I'm doing at work with it (primarily evaluating and testing potential user interfaces, and right now working on learning SQL to supplement dBase), Ubuntu 12 is fine.

So if the newer Ubuntu versions won't install, or give you fits, be aware you can still download the older versions from their web site.

NM5TF
04-27-2016, 04:04 PM
To be honest, I think Fedora is more "up to date" with their ham packages than Ubuntu/Debian, however, I could be mistaken. I just use Ubuntu because I've used Ubuntu for years at home. At work, I do the Redhat thing. There are a lot of people who swear by Fedora.

Worst case? If there's a missing package in the repos, you're just a "git clone; configure; make && make install" away from getting it, on any distro.

I agree with Corey....Fedora is more up to date than Ubuntu/Mint/.deb based distros, and not just the ham radio
stuff either.....

and there is a way to convert .deb files to .rpm files using the app Alien https://www.maketecheasier.com/convert-deb-files-rpm/

and if you're just dying to try the absolute bleeding-edge stuff, try out ARCH Linux....

KC2UGV
04-28-2016, 04:47 AM

and if you're just dying to try the absolute bleeding-edge stuff, try out ARCH Linux....

I thought I covered Arch with the git clone; ./configure; make && make install :P

n6hcm
04-29-2016, 10:43 PM
so, what happened instead: i found i had an x61 instead of an x60, and it only had 2GB installed. i did find the version of ubuntu had up-revved so i installed that and that worked just fine ... but only 2GB and a spinning rust disk gave me the sadz so i spent $40 for a 120GB SSD and another $20 for memory and the result will work just fine ... :)

n6hcm
04-29-2016, 10:49 PM
I agree with Corey....Fedora is more up to date than Ubuntu/Mint/.deb based distros, and not just the ham radio
stuff either.....

Fedora also ages out every six months and i have zero interest in that.

koØm
07-15-2016, 08:21 PM
Quote:

Originally Posted by eddie555 https://d39pklu5rpk118.cloudfront.net/i/p4/forums/buttons/viewpost.gif (http://forums.radioreference.com/voice-control-channel-decoding-software/336615-p25-phase-1-p25-phase-2-a.html#post2609065)
I have a two dongle system, using Unitrunker 1.0.32.7 and DSD+ (ver 1.51). The system that I monitor is migrating to Phase 2 shortly; just wondering what changes I will have to make (enable Phase 2 on DSD+)?

Can anyone offer any advice or, war tales?

At this time, only OP-25 supports Phase 2. You only need one dongle, and it's a stand-alone program. OP-25 runs on the GNU Radio platform, and you will likely need Linux for a successful install (a few people got it working with virtualization software running on windows, but most people report great difficulties running OP-25 under any VM Platform). In any event to get started check out this thread (http://forums.radioreference.com/software-defined-radio/301459-virtualbox-project-run-op25-windows-7-a.html).

So, I am going to set up a Linux box for the new countywide scanner system; It needs to run GNU Radio, which edition of Linux should I be looking in to?