PDA

View Full Version : Planning

W3WN
04-14-2016, 10:24 AM
Little Miss Field Day just received the Official E-Mail from the Office of Student Affairs, informing her (and all the other students on campus) when they have to complete moving out of the dorms/residence halls at the end of the semester.

She's got to be out no later than 5 PM on Sunday, May 1st.

There's just one LITTLE catch...

Sunday, May 1st is also the day of the City of Pittsburgh Marathon. Which is a Marathon, Half Marathon, Kids Marathon... lots of stuff going on. So you figure there'll be some road closures and restrictions, right?

Especially since the Finish line is located at "the intersection of the Boulevard of the Allies and Wood Street".

Right smack in the middle, almost literally, of the Point Park University campus.

So they "strongly recommend that students move out prior to April 29th if at all possible"

Duh.

Now, you'd think that someone with half a brain would extend closing the dorms by 1 lousy day. It would make sense, considering all of the disruptions ( I have no idea how anyone living in the dorms/apartments on the one side of the Boulevard will be able to get to the cafeterias in the main building -- on the other side, since there will be "safety" barricades in place. For example). But no, they can't do that.

...don't worry about LMFD. She's going to start packing up next week, we'll move everything out that we can little by little ahead of time, and I'll just the afternoon off on the 29th to pick up the mini-fridge and any remaining items. Oh, and I guess her too...

That still doesn't excuse poor planning and failure to engage one's brains. Sheesh.

kb2vxa
04-15-2016, 04:22 PM
If each administrator had one working brain cell they could be networked into one working brain. That's too much to expect from a bureaucracy, generally they make good vacuum reservoirs for science demonstrations.

"I didn't get to where I am today because of my education, but in SPITE of it."
Neil deGrasse Tyson

W3WN
04-22-2016, 02:44 PM
Well, LMFD will be fine. We're already started taking some of her stuff home, and I have next Friday off. So what we don't move the next few evenings, a little at a time, we will get then.

I'm a little concerned about her roommate. Nice kid. Her parents are coming down to get her (from Cape Cod, MA, and no, I haven't had the right moment to ask if she knows any teachers)... on Saturday morning (4/30). While some of the ancillary events are going on -- 5K race, Kid's Marathon, Pet Walk, and so forth. So it's a high probability that access to and around the campus at that time will be... limited. I have a sneaking feeling I'm going to be helping TWO college freshmen move that day, not just one (LMFD).