PDA

View Full Version : I finished 3 weeks at my new job.

X-Rated
04-10-2016, 08:29 AM
Well, I have become a technician with a 2 letter call. Damn post is difficult on this tablet. Anyway I m working at coilcraft and it's about 3 blocks from my house. I'm testing cores for coils. These cores are 0.020 inches by 0.010 inches for the footprint. Thanks for all the moral support out there. I appreciate it.

PA5COR
04-10-2016, 11:36 AM
Congrats on the tchnician bit
You call that cores, i need glasses.......

WZ7U
04-10-2016, 02:44 PM
Yeah, congrats but do they provide the microscope?

X-Rated
04-10-2016, 05:00 PM
Yeah, congrats but do they provide the microscope?

Yes. I use the microscope to mount the parts onto test boards for sheer testing.

Here's a spec sheet on some parts. They are unbelievably tiny. http://www.coilcraft.com/pdfs/0201ds.pdf

I don't think they will work well for the base loading coil of an antenna for kW use though.

WZ7U
04-11-2016, 05:03 AM
Well, I hope no cell phone uses a kilowatt out there. 😰

At the risk of sounding MORE daft than normal, 'sheer testing' as in lateral force to tear into two? With a ceramic core? Consider me boggled Jerry. Pretty cool gig.

Also, nice town name there. hee hee hee We have a state here with the same name. Cool.

BTW, I was only joking about the microscope. Who knew? (Obviously you did) I figured you had your own.

N8YX
04-13-2016, 10:39 AM
Helical, man.

W3WN
04-13-2016, 09:29 PM
Helical, man.
What about fractal? Isn't that the new thing?

KK4AMI
04-14-2016, 05:53 AM
Congrats on the job, sounds like a lot of eye strain. Could you get my wife signed up for that job. She has ample experience sheer testing electronic components in all the cell phones, tablets and laptops that she has dropped or pulled off the desk by accident.

kb2vxa
04-15-2016, 04:34 PM
Eye strain? One job was touch-up after wave soldering small PC boards with tracks so narrow and close together they looked solid. Under the lighted magnifier wasn't much better, they were surrounded by rainbows. Talk about eye strain, it's hard to drive home blind. Just don't get them mixed with your box of Sen Sen, they don't taste very good.

X-Rated
04-20-2016, 11:11 PM
Eye strain? One job was touch-up after wave soldering small PC boards with tracks so narrow and close together they looked solid. Under the lighted magnifier wasn't much better, they were surrounded by rainbows. Talk about eye strain, it's hard to drive home blind. Just don't get them mixed with your box of Sen Sen, they don't taste very good.

I inspected about a half million from a little bag today. No. They don't taste like pepper either.

kb2vxa
04-21-2016, 03:56 PM
Ah, so you, I and Billy Joel remember Sen Sen, we're Keeping The Faith. You work too slow, Jimmy Durante got a million of 'em... hot cha cha cha cha!

HUGH
04-21-2016, 04:29 PM
We used to order lots of Coilcraft kits and use them in the company products (small-scale quantities) so I understand everything has shrunk considerably since then.

WØTKX
04-21-2016, 07:29 PM
I'm surprised that nobody caught the "technician with a two letter call" quip.

That's hilarious! Congrats on the new gig. :agree: