PDA

View Full Version : SHE MADE IT!

W3WN
03-29-2016, 04:58 PM
​As many of you know, Little Miss Field Day is currently attending Point Park University. She's been trying to get into the Musical Theatre program in the Conservatory of Performing Arts at the school, but it's been tough. They only take a handful of applicants into that program (last year, over 1200 kids auditioned, they only took about 35). So, she decided to attend as an Undecided freshman, and audition again.

She did audition again in November.

A little over a week ago, she got the news. No. She was heartbroken... But she didn't give up.

They also have a program in COPA called Technical Theatre. That's the "backstage" stuff -- costumes, backgrounds, lighting, makeup, the whole bit. So several of her friends (she's on a floor full of COPA majors), a few of whom are in the program, convinced her to talk to the man in charge of the program.

She finally got to talk with him yesterday afternoon, 1:30 appointment. Took that long because he was in charge of the week long performance of "The Drowsy Chaperone" that wrapped up Sunday at the Playhouse.

LMFD told us last night that the interview, which included her portfolio of artwork she's done over the years, went well. It was long, almost 2 hours, but comprehensive. And she'd know something in a week to 2 weeks, most likely in 10 days.

2:30 this afternoon, she gets the email. "Congratulations! You have been artistically admitted to the Theatre Program in COPA!"

WOO HOO!

And boy, are we relieved. Not that we lost faith, we know her talent after all, but still...

KG4CGC
03-29-2016, 08:36 PM
A very hearty Congratulations sir.

WZ7U
03-30-2016, 01:40 AM
Good for lmfd! Congrats

PA5COR
03-30-2016, 04:09 AM
Congrats, happy news ;)

kb2vxa
03-30-2016, 05:49 AM
So if she can't make it as a snotty, demanding, bitchy PITA and frankly overpaid actress she'll make it as the technician of her choice and make a darn good salary too. Congrats and hats off to LMFD for outstanding achievement and thankfully one less candidate for rotten tomatoes the ushers have to clean up.

Sorry about the tongue in cheeky stuff, I just couldn't help myself.

W3WN
03-30-2016, 07:03 AM
So if she can't make it as a snotty, demanding, bitchy PITA and frankly overpaid actress she'll make it as the technician of her choice and make a darn good salary too. Congrats and hats off to LMFD for outstanding achievement and thankfully one less candidate for rotten tomatoes the ushers have to clean up.

Sorry about the tongue in cheeky stuff, I just couldn't help myself.Don't worry. Even if she does someday make it as an actress, and that's not out of the question (there are other avenues), snotty, demanding, and bitchy aren't her style, never have been. (PITA? Well that goes without saying, but then, she is my daughter)

Besides,, while she's not from NJ, at least she's only 1 generation removed. (And I know you can't help it, but then, being a native from Exit 144 of the GSP, I understand completely)

kb2vxa
03-31-2016, 01:11 PM
"...snotty, demanding, and bitchy aren't her style, never have been."
Sidney Looper (Cyndi Lauper) had a song for that, Money Changes Everything.
"(PITA? Well that goes without saying, but then, she is my daughter)"
I know, that's why I've adopted W. C. Fields quote as my own, I like children... as long as they're not mine.

Then maybe you've heard of the Bennys we at the North Jersey Shore have to put up with every summer? Briefly for those who missed my past comments, Bayonne, Elizabeth, Newark, New York spells BENNY. They invade disrespecting us at every turn thinking they own the place, having no idea how to behave like guests in OUR HOME. It's a love-hate relationship, their money is as green as anybody's unless you're from another country where denominations are color coded. I'm from Rahway and wasted 10 years of my life in Lizardbreath (Elizabeth) but I never had to leave a Benny attitude behind, I never had one. South of the Mason-Dixon Line (it actually is in New Jersey) there is genuine Southern Hospitality, but not for the Shoobies from southeastern and central eastern Pennsylvania that call it the Pennsylvania Seashore. They got that name because when a railroad map looked like a spider web and you could go anywhere by train the cheapskates brought lunch in a shoe box. Thankfully West Creek (pronounced crick) where I lived is a few miles south of the highway that takes them to Long Beach Island where I never went in summer, so overcrowded you can walk much faster than driving. In winter they shut the traffic lights off that would only partly recreate summer driving conditions like Mumbai where they wander around in traffic that stops to avoid running them over.

New Jersey, the NYC metro area actually, Jean Shepherd said it best. I never did ask Shep if he knew locals call Rte. 22 Slaughter Alley. He was thinking of the grubble along it, a word he got from NY Mayor Ed Koch meaning kitsch amplified by a factor of 1,000 or more.

W3WN
03-31-2016, 01:29 PM
My grandparents lived in Elizabeth while we were growing up.

Ah, the sites; the smells; the Pulaski Skyway, in a car with no AC, on a hot summer day stuck in traffic, smelling the refinery output wafting in from Bayonne.

WZ7U
03-31-2016, 02:19 PM
Then maybe you've heard of the Bennys we at the North Jersey Shore have to put up with every summer? Briefly for those who missed my past comments, Bayonne, Elizabeth, Newark, New York spells BENNY. They invade disrespecting us at every turn thinking they own the place, having no idea how to behave like guests in OUR HOME. It's a love-hate relationship, their money is as green as anybodys...
Yeah, we have a local variant of the same phenomenon out here towards the north Oregon coast (the whole coast, really). My Midwestern relatives have a hard time understanding why I enjoy going to the 'beach' in the middle of winter but if they had to deal with the unwashed masses that pollute the coast in 'nice weather season', they would understand. I feel your pain sir.

the grubble along it, a word he got from NY Mayor Ed Koch meaning kitsch amplified by a factor of 1,000 or more.
I can only imagine what grubble is, let alone being 1000 times worse than anything. That's the problem; I CAN imagine that!

Thanks grumpy old poof 😁 Love ya man

NQ6U
03-31-2016, 07:37 PM
“Nice weather season” on the northern Oregon coast?? When did that start happening?

W3WN
03-31-2016, 08:41 PM
BTW, I had lunch with LMFD today. She had the biggest smile and most relaxed look on her face than I've seen in a long, long time. She has really wanted to get into the COPA program. This wasn't quite the way she wanted in... but the important thing is, she got in.

WZ7U
04-01-2016, 01:13 AM
Ha ha ha ha! Yeah, kind of an oxymoron huh? To me, any day that doesn't involve 40mph wind and sheets of rain is nice weather. Otherwise it's standard operating protocol, SNAFU.

Raining horizontal - Perfect antenna party weather.