W3WN
03-28-2016, 01:44 PM
-------- Original Message --------
Date: Mar 28, 2016 2:16:07 PM
Subject: DXCC Deletion: Kingman Reef

ARRL HQ Newington
28 March 2016

DXCC Deletion of Kingman Reef

The ARRL Awards Committee has voted to delete Kingman Reef (KH5) from the DXCC List, effective 29 March, 2016. Kingman Reef will be added to the Deleted Entities List on 29 March, 2016. The total number of entities on the List will drop from 340 to 339.

The deletion process is described in DXCC Rules Section II DXCC List Criteria, Part 5(a) Deletion Criteria: “An entity may be deleted from the List if it no longer satisfies the criteria under which it was added. However, if the entity continues to meet one or more currently existing rules, it will remain on the List.”

With respect to the previous paragraph’s text, Kingman Reef’s original addition by virtue of separate administration has changed (separate administration by the U.S. Navy has been removed), and the reef does not meet any current criteria to remain on the list. The U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service administers Kingman Reef and Palmyra Island. The reef is too close to Palmyra Island to count as a separate entity. The reef is now considered part of the Palmyra/Jarvis DXCC entity.

DXCC members who have affirmed credit with Kingman Reef will see their current entity totals drop by one on their DXCC awards -- including on the bands and modes where Kingman Reef credit is given. They will also see their DXCC Challenge totals drop commensurately. Honor Roll status will now be attainable after confirming 330 entities on the DXCC List.

73, Dave, NN1N

NQ6U
03-28-2016, 04:35 PM
Thanks to rising sea levels, it doesn't look like there's much there to operate from any longer.

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/5/59/Kingman_Reef_-_2014-02-18_-_Landsat_8_-_15m.png

VE7DCW
03-28-2016, 05:55 PM
Thanks to rising sea levels, it doesn't look like there's much there to operate from any longer.

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/5/59/Kingman_Reef_-_2014-02-18_-_Landsat_8_-_15m.png

Awwww....... add a hundred thousand tons of sand and put a radar and missile battery like the Chinese tend to do..... and you will make it an "Entity" once more......problem solved........next! :mrgreen:

n6hcm
03-29-2016, 03:39 AM
well, the thing about this was the change in administration, not the land mass. it is, basically, an atoll ... and there are plenty of other atolls on the entity list.

W3WN
03-29-2016, 08:42 AM
well, the thing about this was the change in administration, not the land mass. it is, basically, an atoll ... and there are plenty of other atolls on the entity list.
If memory serves, the condition of the parts of the reef that remain above water were declared unsafe for landing a few months or so back. (And I mean specifically for staying there for any length of time, not for a short visit of a few hours) I want to say that there was a group scouting it for future DXpedition access, and that's what led to that discovery. Can't seem to find the link, though I'm looking for it.

So, IMHO, the "change of administration" card is actually a good (and legit) way to take the atoll off the list, and thus significantly lessen the need for hams to go there.

And now I don't feel so bad about missing the last Palmyra trip a few weeks back.

KG4CGC
03-29-2016, 08:44 PM
You know, at first I thought it was a picture of a home-made dip net but then I realized that it's an aerial shot.

Look at it. It does.

KG4CGC
03-29-2016, 08:44 PM
Make sand not war.

WZ7U
03-30-2016, 01:36 AM
You know, at first I thought it was a picture of a home-made dip net but then I realized that it's an aerial shot.

Look at it. It does.

Damn man, I had the same impression.

kb2vxa
03-30-2016, 05:19 AM
RISING SEA LEVELS! GLOBAL WARMING! WE'RE ALL GONNA DIE!

Hey, it's a REEF dummy, reefs come and go and this one is going you atoll.

KG4CGC
03-30-2016, 06:19 PM
RISING SEA LEVELS! GLOBAL WARMING! WE'RE ALL GONNA DIE!

Hey, it's a REEF dummy, reefs come and go and this one is going you atoll.

Aliens added a reactionary gene to get us to work harder every time they cracked the whip.

NQ6U
03-30-2016, 06:35 PM
Aliens added a reactionary gene to get us to work harder every time they cracked the whip.

Seems to be working on Warren.

kb2vxa
03-31-2016, 09:50 AM
"Aliens added a reactionary gene to get us to work harder every time they cracked the whip."
They didn't have to, aliens settled Earth and we are their descendants.

"Seems to be working on Warren."
I come from a different planet than the original settlers. Hey, why do you think I'm a grumpy old bastid?

Just to clear up a possible misunderstanding, the "you" and "dummy" I made reference to wasn't any Islander or Islanders, it was the global worming (spelling intentional) crowd in the collective usage.

KG4NEL
04-02-2016, 10:24 PM
Man, I'm glad I don't keep track of this kind of thing.