PDA

View Full Version : I want one of these

NQ6U
03-15-2016, 09:39 AM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CLaBFkeHG0A

Only $480,000 each.

KK4AMI
03-15-2016, 09:51 AM
No problem. Supplement your income by doing tattoo removal, tummy tucks and getting rid of bodies for the mob!

kb2vxa
03-15-2016, 02:58 PM
Make it cordless and hand held, a new light saber I could use, mmmMMM?

KG4CGC
03-15-2016, 03:29 PM
No problem. Supplement your income by doing tattoo removal, tummy tucks and getting rid of bodies for the mob!
This service should include crack spackling.

w2amr
03-16-2016, 03:56 AM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CLaBFkeHG0A

Only $480,000 each.Wonder if it would warp thin metal?

NQ6U
03-16-2016, 08:31 AM
Wonder if it would warp thin metal?

Good question. According to their web site, the thing was designed for prepping aircraft aluminum for painting so I guess you can dial down the zap, or something. Here's a comment from Reddit:

A CO2 laser can put out ~1000 watts of power in the infrared (10 µm) that can be focused to a strip or spot smaller than a millimeter. A material that absorbs at that wavelength will be heated very quickly. At lower powers you can use this for laser engraving. But for rust removal you can dump enough heat into the rust to heat it to a plasma.

Now, why doesn't the laser continue to burn away the iron underneath the rust? Because metals reflect light very well, especially in the infrared. I found this plot showing how at 10 µm even iron makes a very good mirror. So once the rust burns off, the laser reflects off the iron rather than heating it up.

KK4AMI
03-16-2016, 04:17 PM
Ugh, eye damage city. 1000 watts of infrared laser light reflecting off metal. Sure they have safety goggles, but a career of doing that has got to be hard on the ol' peepers. I think even commercial welders suffer eye damage in a career.

NQ6U
03-16-2016, 05:14 PM
Ugh, eye damage city. 1000 watts of infrared laser light reflecting off metal. Sure they have safety goggles, but a career of doing that has got to be hard on the ol' peepers. I think even commercial welders suffer eye damage in a career.

Not that there isn't some inherent risk from this thing but you can't compare it to arc welding. It uses a CO2 laser that generates radiation in the infrared. The danger presented by arc welding is that it generates ultraviolet radiation—the opposite end of the visible spectrum and at a much higher frequency and energy level.

NA4BH
03-16-2016, 05:27 PM
You'd put your eye out.

WZ7U
03-16-2016, 09:36 PM
I wonder if that guy would blast off the battery platform on my Nissan hardbody pu? Almost everything else unbolts off of it but that. Now I have real work to do.

Oh well....

What should I expect from a truck that is legally old enough to go to the bar without me? 😕

Still a zappingly fun time for sure

kb2vxa
03-17-2016, 02:28 PM
Considering how many times it brought you to the bar it's damn well about time you bought it a drink!

N2CHX
03-20-2016, 11:48 AM

Judging by the video, the laser employs a small focal range and the beam is diverged to a very weak state outside of that small range. Laser hair removal systems work the same way. I actually own one that will burn a hole through solid plastic, but only within a couple of millimeters of its focus point. You can stare into the aperture all day long as long as you're outside of that focal point.

In any case, this is a really neat tool!

K7SGJ
03-23-2016, 12:34 PM
I like the tattoo removal idea.