PDA

View Full Version : Linux and flavors for the dumb?....

W5BRM
03-04-2016, 09:15 AM
....And how to begin using them.

Been having thought lately to switching to Linux with all the paranoia about w10 etc and its alleged govt spyware etc. I'm not an extreme computer geek so programming and compiling my own software is beyond me. Im considering buying a very low end laptop to use as a media center and limited internet use tool.

My basic question is this:

For a noob, whats the best flavor of linux to do this that emulates a windows desktop style environment. Thats what i am most familiar with so i want to reduce OS shock in a new environment.

Looking for a basic browser for net surfing, HDMI video support to run video from VLC to my 24inch tv in the truck.

Im not a gamer so i dont need any software like that.

What are some resources for other programming such as dvd player/ripping, music media

The hardware i plan running on is a Dell inspiron

http://www.dell.com/en-us/member/shop/productdetails/inspiron-14-3451-laptop

Will that work for tossing a hat into the linux ring?

KJ3N
03-04-2016, 09:18 AM
I'd look into Linux Mint. Seems to be quite popular.

I have my main machine set to a dual boot configuration between W7 and LM 17.

W5BRM
03-04-2016, 10:02 AM
Ok thanks. I'm looking into it. Appreciate that info!

2nd question.

Is dvd playing/ripping a RAM intensive process?
The laptop i was looking at has 2g RAM. Will that be enough or should i go higher?

KC2UGV
03-04-2016, 01:04 PM
I'd go with Mint, just to start with, and to get your feet wet. It's "pretty". As for "looking like windows", well, there's going to be differences, however slight, but Mint is close enough.

If Mint starts to irritate you after a while (Weird bugs, etc etc), roll over to Ubuntu. You're one command away from getting the mate-desktop back, which I use mostly (I also use the i3 desktop, but it is nothing like Windows, and purely keyboard drive, which is very efficient).

Both of those distros use the same base, with a wide assortment of drivers pre-installed. For specs, I'd try and shoot for 4GB of RAM minimally, 8GB of RAM you're pretty much set. 8GB + SSD == You're cooking with gasoline.

Side note: I use Ubuntu on my workstations, with the mate-desktop-environment package. For servers at work RHEL. For personal servers: Ubuntu Server edition.

ad4mg
03-04-2016, 05:04 PM
I agree with Jim and Corey, Linux Mint has the easiest learning curve, and is quite stable. I believe the default distribution of Mint comes with the Cinnamon desktop. The Mate desktop is very similar to Cinnamon, but is a little easier on resources. Go for the Linux Mint - Mate distribution for a modest machine.

The most likely "adventure" you are apt to encounter is if your machine has a Broadcom chipset on the wireless adapter. The wireless may not work "out of the box", but there are simple solutions available for installing a working driver.

Ubuntu now offers a distribution with the Mate desktop: https://ubuntu-mate.org

The main difference between Linux Mint and Ubuntu is Mint stays with the most stable updates, while Ubuntu is more "cutting edge" oriented. On occasion, updates will break something in Ubuntu. Never seen that happen in Linux Mint!

W2NAP
03-04-2016, 08:28 PM
i been using Lubuntu here as of late. its ubuntu with the lxde desktop. very light DE.

kb2vxa
03-05-2016, 07:36 AM
Others have the Linux situation well in hand so I have nothing helpful to add in that regard, but I'd just like to set the record straight on a couple of things.

"Been having thought lately to switching to Linux with all the paranoia about w10 etc and its alleged govt spyware etc."
It's not the government, it's Micro$atan himself who will gather and use information about everything in a W7, 8.1 or 10 computer and all the user's information and habits as well... simply EVERYTHING. All this information is handed over to the government and/or law enforcement, that is the FBI, IRS, etc. government law enforcement, state, county, local and copyright holders upon request. Paranoia? No, truth.

Here's a chuckle:
"You're cooking with gasoline."
That's tap dancing in a minefield while juggling hand grenades! The old Coleman camp stoves used gasoline, switching to propane is a hellava lot safer. Just don't load what doesn't fit in the trunk under the hood and don't lock the fire extinguisher in the trunk. Remember the old saying still applies today, now you're cooking with gas.

The above was inspired by firefighter experience, no kidding, no joke.

W5BRM
03-10-2016, 08:14 AM
I got my new machine yesterday...just as I had to leave home and go on my 3 week tour...lol. so it's going to be a while til i get home and get Linux Mint installed on it. I might have to upgrade the RAM on it as it came with 4g instead of 8. Lol that upgrade will probably cost more than the whole computer did brand new too. Heheh. Til then, im5 gonna boot it up and play with w10 to see what its all about. I dont have any internet service i use on the road so it'll be boring but at least it cant csll home...lol

NM5TF
03-10-2016, 11:51 AM
I agree with Mint-MATE version....and 2 GB of RAM will work just fine for an OTR machine...

my Wife's legacy Inspiron laptop came back to life with Mint-MATE and only 1 GB RAM....

the desktop will be very familiar for a former WIN user as well.....except you will no longer
see any of those dreaded BSOD's....

KC2UGV
03-10-2016, 01:49 PM
I got my new machine yesterday...just as I had to leave home and go on my 3 week tour...lol. so it's going to be a while til i get home and get Linux Mint installed on it. I might have to upgrade the RAM on it as it came with 4g instead of 8. Lol that upgrade will probably cost more than the whole computer did brand new too. Heheh. Til then, im5 gonna boot it up and play with w10 to see what its all about. I dont have any internet service i use on the road so it'll be boring but at least it cant csll home...lol

4GB is doable. It wont be a dog with it. Also, I might be spoiled, as work pays for my laptops, so YMMV.

W5BRM
03-20-2016, 06:39 AM
Managed to swing by the house. I bought a couple Mint dvd's. Got Mint Cinnamon and Mint Mate. Figured I'd get the dvds instead of a d/l so i can reinstall fresh with no net access if i crash an install...lol.

Also picked up a copy of Linux All in One for Dummies. Looks like i may have a daunting task to truly understand this stuff...lol.

I ended up giving the xyl the new laptop and took my old w7 Asus back. Its smaller and better suited for the truck plus i won't wreck the warranty by scrubbing the Windows install on it.

Now i just gotta get a few days off to get this installed and get to know it.