PDA

View Full Version : Headache, new laptop and W10.....

PA5COR
02-28-2016, 06:06 PM
Got my new laptop here, Lenovo 17" full HD screen, core I7 Nvidea Gforce 2 GB videocard etc etc etc.... bought and paid for with the fair money.
Came with W 10 so first 1/2 day spend to disable all call homee stuff, delete all crap that comes with pre installs, and wonder how fast the lappie boots with the 250 GB SSD in 8 seconds flat from cold boot....

The rest of the day spend to get used to W 10 and put things as I want them, not as Windows thinks i should have ( grumble...)
If this one hold up 8 years like the old Acer dual core i am satisfied, the keyoard is better as is the screen.
Don't need much space, so the normally delivered 1 T.B HD was dumped for the SSD.
Send Tylenol..... ;)

NQ6U
02-28-2016, 06:54 PM
Just bought a MacBook Pro 13" to replace my ten-year-old 15" MBP. Also with a 250GB SSD—push the power button and the thing boots up in less than 10 seconds. What's not to like about that?

PA5COR
02-29-2016, 04:16 AM
Congrats with the new Macbook.
I'm not complainin about the speed of the new laptop, that is 110% allright, chose this laptop for speed and 17Inch full HD+ screen and the large amount of on board connections USB3 etc etc, and the possebillety of being able to expand the memory if needed and even change the video card if i want to.

For a tad under a grand Euro's it is fast, has and excellent keyboard, 2.4 and 5 GHz WiFi and a very fast quad core I7 processor.
Picking a fast laptop now, like the old one it will last long and stays fast enough to do what i want for years.
I just hate it to have to put all my programs back up, change the settings in the new for me W10, put the favourites back in etc.
I'm a lazy user, used to put the lappie on and do my thing, the tinkering part of the old days is a bit gone.

Maybe i'm just getting older and get the "get of my lawn" virus? ;)

NQ6U
02-29-2016, 10:34 AM
Yeah, same here. I used to revel in playing with my computer, now it's just another tool that I want to work without having to futz with it continually. That's why I started using Macs. Most of the time they just work—especially since the advent of OS X. This one is not the fastest laptop out there but with a 2.7GHz Intel i5, SSD and 8GB of RAM, it's good enough for anything I'm gonna do with it.

kb2vxa
03-01-2016, 05:17 PM
You actually wasted your time trying to remove spyware when W10 IS spyware??? Micro$haft became Micro$atan and Windblows became Micro$atanic retro to W7 so don't fall for the phony baloney, wipe the HDD and install Linux.

PA5COR
03-02-2016, 12:26 PM
Thought about that, but just browsing on the lappie, tomorrow adding 8 GB mem into it.
Not much to spy on me i'm affraid, but at least most spystuff is gone, or switched off.
I bet all O.S. will have backdoors and whatever 3 letter agency wants to know what we do can do that without much problems...
i hope they like the 100's of pictures taken in France of cathedrals and their glass in lead windows, or rest of our holliday pictures...

kb2vxa
03-03-2016, 09:26 AM
Oh no, now you've gone and done it. Now they'll make them take them all apart and redo them with lead free solder.

PA5COR
03-03-2016, 02:01 PM
Nah no RoHS for glass in lead windows ;)

Added the 8 GB mem, now12 GB working DDR3 1800 MHz working RAM.
The internal GPU has also 1 GB the NVidea M920 also has 2 GB mem as videocard.
The Kingston 240 GB SSD does fine, and fast...
All in all a quite fast laptop good for the next few years, not a real highflyer in 3D but 2D is fasr.

Been working on the settings of the O.S. the last few days closing all call home stuff switch off the microphone and camera as well, never use it anyway.

Picked up a new USB/Phone cable the old one was 3 feet and one feet short.... now got an 8 feet long one.
Charging the phone from the lappie, lazy brat as i am.
Opening the bottom is easy, 2 screws and most of the underside comes off to clean the ventilators and access to memory HD etc.

Cleaning is done mostly after 4 to 6 months, or more often as needed.
Temps of the CPU and GPU are hovering around 30 C and mobo around 19 C which is the room temperature now.
Lenovo B70-80 is the type I7 Core processor.
Just put over 60 GB data from the old laptop, including ON4UN book low band dxing, ARRL and RSGB antenna handbooks and lots more of that stuff.
All stuff for my Heathkit SB-1000 programs and stuff.
Now the old laptop can go up to the shack for browsing the net doing repairs and stuff.
Glad most stuff is sorted now, still getting used to W10 though.
Rests to calibrate the screen colours etc, then i can start working with it...

KG4NEL
03-03-2016, 03:09 PM
Yeah, same here. I used to revel in playing with my computer, now it's just another tool that I want to work without having to futz with it continually. That's why I started using Macs. Most of the time they just work—especially since the advent of OS X. This one is not the fastest laptop out there but with a 2.7GHz Intel i5, SSD and 8GB of RAM, it's good enough for anything I'm gonna do with it.

I figure if I get 5-6 years out of a laptop, it's fine for me. I've been buying refurb Dells with similar specs. Computer stuff doesn't really interest me to tinker with anymore, although I'm noticing booting up full catalogs in Lightroom is taxing my measly 8GB of RAM...and getting a video card that can support a 27" IPS display might be cool in the future.

Can you get W10 to look/function like 7?

kb2vxa
03-04-2016, 06:54 AM
Hmmm, looks like you and Mighty Mouse have the situation well in hand. (It's in the theme song.) I'm just wondering what in the computer world is 3D, in the movie world I've seen in one I downloaded by mistake the split screen and glasses system is used. BTW I didn't waste it, I just moved one image off screen.

Then you say you've disabled everything that calls home including camera and microphone, but I told you W10 is in itself spyware. Let me be more specific this time, Micro$atan re-enables that which has been disabled (so disconnect the camera and microphone) which is why I have removed all KBxxxxxx update spies from W7 Ultimate, completely disabled everything that calls home in Task Manager and armor plated Godzilla Jr. up the wazoo to prevent Micro$atan from re-enabling them. Additionally, Ray VK2TV who services computers rolls them back to W7 SP-1 and disables updates which only affects Micro$atanic software that doesn't need updating anyway.

Back to you and lead windows, I hope you have plenty of pictures of church windows in there. Since Micro or otherwise Satan HATES anything even remotely connected with God hell (no apostrophe) have fits. Heh heh heh.

On edit:
"Can you get W10 to look/function like 7?"
For 8.1 and 10 the answer is no.

PA5COR
03-04-2016, 02:10 PM
Guessing there are close to 500 pictures on the lappie of nice glass in lead windows from lots of French Cathedrals so they can eat their heart out, as well pictures from the outside of the churches.

My former lappie is still running W7 or XP-Pro, and moves to the shack or now work room for electronics.
Hope they try to switch the camera back on, the sticker over it will give a nice dark picture.... both were disabled in the hardware control panel.
For the moment trying out the new O.S. i can always go to another O.S. even W7 if need be.

kb2vxa
03-05-2016, 08:17 AM
Support for XP (updates) was discontinued quite a while ago so there are no spies in it, it's safe. W7 and 8.1 (ugh) on the other hand have become Micro$atanic retro and require considerable work to stop the spying and keep it that way. All that info is way too much for here, you can find it all on line.

"Hope they try to switch the camera back on, the sticker over it will give a nice dark picture...."
I thought you had a USB eyeball cam you could unplug, but tape will do the trick, just disconnect the mic so Big Brother can't hear you.
"...both were disabled in the hardware control panel."
Rotsa ruck Charie, disabling anything up front only LOOKS disabled, it isn't. Being I won't touch W10 with a ten foot Pole or a Hungarian midget I don't know where the goodies we used to see are hidden. If you can find Administrative Tools and Task Scheduler you have to COMPLETELY disable updates and everything that gathers and transmits data and all telemetry, that means not only disabling the process but all the triggers too.

"For the moment trying out the new O.S. i can always go to another O.S. even W7 if need be."
Linux not being a Micro$atanic product is best, second best is a clean install of XP with SP-3, third is W7 with SP-1 before Micro$haft became Micro$atan and ALL UPDATES AUTO OR MANUAL disabled as above. That will prevent Micro$atan from installing spies, but you still have to disable anything you see in Task Manager that gathers and transmits data and all telemetry. Since all Micro$atanic software updates are dependent on updates none of it will update but no worry, if it ain't broke don't try to fix it. It all works just fine so leave it alone. Third party software updates of course are unaffected.

Meanwhile, when Micro$atan sees those churches hell (no apostrophe) have a fit! To cop the title of a Blues song by John Lee Hooker, It Serves You Right To Suffer.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q1kf7EGm6CY

W3WN
03-07-2016, 03:29 PM
Well, I just got my hands on another Dell minitower. I'm going to do a clean Win 7 Pro install on it within the next day or three, and this time, I'm going to let Win X have it's way with the machine, and see what happens.

Not worried about the camera or mike... this machine lacks both. Nor will it get them until I nuke the spyware (at least the stuff that can be nuked)

If I don't like what I see, Win X gets nuked and I go back to Square 1... ie Win 7 (really 6.1, but never mind that...)

KJ3N
03-07-2016, 06:04 PM
Well, I just got my hands on another Dell minitower. I'm going to do a clean Win 7 Pro install on it within the next day or three, and this time, I'm going to let Win X have it's way with the machine, and see what happens.

Not worried about the camera or mike... this machine lacks both. Nor will it get them until I nuke the spyware (at least the stuff that can be nuked)

If I don't like what I see, Win X gets nuked and I go back to Square 1... ie Win 7 (really 6.1, but never mind that...)

Be prepared to become extremely annoyed at the Win X upgrade wizard / notifier. I've told that fucking thing to leave alone 3 times today. It's becoming highly aggressive.

W5BRM
03-07-2016, 07:20 PM
Is W7 available for sale from any legitimate sources anymore?

KJ3N
03-07-2016, 07:38 PM

He said "legitimate"..... :rofl:

NQ6U
03-07-2016, 07:41 PM

Well, if you have a key you can download it from Microsoft.

Oh, wait, you said legitimate...

PA5COR
03-08-2016, 04:55 AM
Switched off the swapfile, indexing as well, so running everything in memory now and preventing too many write and erase cycles on the SSD.
Nifty program switched off all we now know of the phone home stuff from Microsoft, looking at my log of the router traffic became quite low though i don't believe everything is off, or that with updates Microsoft won't try to add new paths, and my host file will have to be adopted again.

Got the latest drivers installed, test ran the lappie, and still satisfied with the results.
Disablewintracking is the program used next to manual setting of stuff, as is OOSU10, both easy found on the net.
Ran a test with a zillion windows open, photo shop and maxed out memory use to 8 Gb mem, still 4 left... i'll never use so many programs simultaniously though.
photoshopping used the most memory, returning unused memory to the pool was unexpectedly fast, better as in W7 pro.
All in all i'm not disappointed in W10, it is stable, and seems to run quite well.

All O.S. willl call home Android MAc users found out the first malware is there, so there is no perfect O.S. and using our gizmo's comes with the knoledge that what you use and put up on the net stays there and will be visible for the 3 letter aencies here and in the USA, or get demanded at your provider...

http://www.softpedia.com/get/Tweak/System-Tweak/Windows-10-Tracking-Disable-Tool.shtml
https://www.oo-software.com/en/shutup10

Have fun ;)

kb2vxa
03-08-2016, 08:26 AM
"I'm going to do a clean Win 7 Pro install on it within the next day or three, and this time, I'm going to let Win X have it's way with the machine, and see what happens."
You won't see what happens, it's not Secret Squirrel, it's genuine spyware that works invisibly revealing the entire contents of your computer and your every move to Micro$atan who will in turn reveal it all to partners that are legion, any and all law enforcement and copyright holders upon request. If you have anything or do anything you don't want the world to know you're in deep shit if you don't take measures to keep it hidden from Micro$atan.

"Well, if you have a key you can download it from Microsoft. Oh, wait, you said legitimate..."
Sarcasm I'm sure. Micro$atan hasn't messed with the archives now being removed from his servers with the push to W10, you may have to get W7 SP-1 elsewhere. The best source and one I most recommend is someone with a corporate license version on CD that may be copied to an unlimited number of computers like my guru has. That way you can be absolutely sure of a clean install free from spying "important security updates".

Cor is on the right track, but let's go back to the beginning for the rest who want to armor up W7. First disconnect the Internet before you do anything, then a clean install of W7 SP-1 so you won't have to worry about the spies installed as "important security updates". Step 2, using Administrative Tools/Task Scheduler completely disable updates AND triggers. While you're there disable everything that gathers and transmits data plus all telemetry the same way. You'll recognize them by what their function is kindly provided in the description. FYI, since all Micro$atanic software depends on Windows Updates none of it can update either, but like the First Rule of Maintenance goes, if it ain't broke don't try to fix it. In other words it works just fine out of the box as is, doesn't need updating and potentially becoming spyware. All third party software will update quite normally not having any dependencies.

One final note mainly because I'm tired of repeating for those who don't listen. For those such as myself who fell victim to spyware disguised as "important security updates" and don't want to go through the massive headache of reinstalling Windblows and all of your software, "the truth is out there", Google is your friend. Believe it or not so is Micro$atan who kindly forgot to remove everything you ever wanted to know about Windblows but were afraid to ask and the Q&A Micro$atanic forums they're discussed on. It took me more than a MONTH to figure out how to armor Godzilla Jr. but since I did both the drive light and network traffic is just about nil except when my AV/AM software is looking for and imprisoning bad guys it hasn't found yet. That's where an occasional run of AdwCleaner comes in handy, it finds infections the best AV/AM stuff overlooks. Just to make it complete, FreeFixer reveals everything in the box so you can find it and fix it if need be but it comes with a common sense caveat: If you don't know what it is and Google doesn't tell you leave it alone or you just might find yourself with an expensive paperweight.

THE END

W3WN
03-09-2016, 01:10 PM
Yes.

Well, NewEgg. I guess they're more or less legit. Somewhat. :whistle:

Pro:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16832416803
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16832416804

Home:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16832416892&cm_re=Windows_7_Home-_-32-416-892-_-Product
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16832116986&cm_re=Windows_7_Home-_-32-116-986-_-Product

kb2vxa
03-09-2016, 04:27 PM
Doesn't anybody have a W7 Ultimate SP-1 Corporate Edition disc, tisc tisc tisc? Why pay for what you can get for free (or a bottle of scotch)? Yeah Newegg is legit but borrowing is gegiter, (;->) my guru and I bought a lot of stuff and never had a problem.

"You're only as young, or as old, as you feel.
Who have you felt up lately?"
I saw that on Hamsexy long before you did. (;->)

W5BRM
03-10-2016, 08:07 AM
I've done my share of looking and most of what i find is for OEM installation discs for refurbished computers that are to be sold. I thought about getting one but i dont know if it would be allowed to install on a machine that came with W8. (In essence, downgrading the OS). Would it need to be installed on a brand new never used hard drive?

I'm picky about who i purchase from. Anyone can set up a business account on Newegg or Amazon or Tiger Direct and sell anything as "new". I like the sites listed but i DONT trust software bought through them as i don't feel they are always doing business with legitimate businesses who offer guarenteed authentic items/software.

KJ3N
03-10-2016, 04:36 PM
After that post, I just can't watch this anymore....

http://media1.giphy.com/media/6OWIl75ibpuFO/giphy.gif

W5BRM
03-10-2016, 07:24 PM
After that post, I just can't watch this anymore....

http://media1.giphy.com/media/6OWIl75ibpuFO/giphy.gif

What was wrong with it?

kb2vxa
03-11-2016, 05:49 AM
"Would it need to be installed on a brand new never used hard drive?"

No, just format it and it will be good as new. Incidentally as if you didn't know, you have to format a new drive before you can write anything to it. (;->)

PA5COR
03-11-2016, 08:36 AM
https://forums.spybot.info/downloads.php?id=55
Turns off all telemetry and Phone home stuff

W3WN
03-11-2016, 01:13 PM
I've done my share of looking and most of what i find is for OEM installation discs for refurbished computers that are to be sold. I thought about getting one but i dont know if it would be allowed to install on a machine that came with W8. (In essence, downgrading the OS). Would it need to be installed on a brand new never used hard drive?

I'm picky about who i purchase from. Anyone can set up a business account on Newegg or Amazon or Tiger Direct and sell anything as "new". I like the sites listed but i DONT trust software bought through them as i don't feel they are always doing business with legitimate businesses who offer guarenteed authentic items/software.
When I bought Win 7 Home for the Optiplex 625, I bought it from Newegg direct (NOT a 'business account'), and it came totally legit.

I do share your concerns with some of the other sources (Amazon, eBay, etc). But Newegg? They were totally, ah, kosher.

And it was a "new" install DVD, for a "new" computer, not a refurb. Complete with factory sealed license.

W3WN
03-11-2016, 07:22 PM
https://forums.spybot.info/downloads.php?id=55
Turns off all telemetry and Phone home stuffThanks for the link. I'm giving it a try right now.

WØTKX
03-11-2016, 07:51 PM
I monitor my Win10 install for any extra traffic. Not there, I'd see it.

A few more settings than needed in Windows 7, it is not "spying" on me.

If y'all hate MicroSquish so much, move to Linux.

The conspiracy shit is as bad as Breitbart.Com. :roll:

PA5COR
03-12-2016, 04:31 AM
I don't hate it, as with all versions of Windows i like to tinker under the hood and set things as i want them to behave.
Including the privacy settings, till now the windowws version does not disappoint, it is stable, fast and getting used to isn't as bad as i thought first.

The older programs i used still work fine.
Back to just use the O.S. since i'm done tinkering for now.

kb2vxa
03-12-2016, 06:47 AM
Conspiracy shit? Well, if that's what you think it's your prerogative. Now that the dust has finally settled I'm giving this thread the Kermit T. Frog YYYAAAAAAAYYYYYY!!!!!!