PDA

View Full Version : FCC Slaps Down HOA over OTARD

W3WN
02-23-2016, 01:28 PM
From today's FCC Digest:

BRENT BEUMEL, JR., PETITION FOR DECLARATORY RULING. Granted the Petition for Declaratory Ruling. Action by: Deputy Chief, Media Bureau. Adopted: 02/23/2016 by Declaratory Ruling. (DA No. 16-190). MB https://apps.fcc.gov/edocs_public/attachmatch/DA-16-190A1.doc

The gist of the ruling is that the HOA can not block the petitioner from installing a satellite dish by declaring his "patio" as actually being part of the "common area" and thus not for his exclusive use.

KC2UGV
02-23-2016, 07:55 PM
Steps to fix problems with HOAs:

* Don't buy a home with an HOA.

KK4AMI
02-24-2016, 09:18 AM
I know HOAs are intended to protect the value of your property. I take great pride in being so old that I don't care what my property will be worth because my next house will be a pine box.

W3WN
02-24-2016, 02:05 PM
I know HOAs are intended to protect the value of your property. I take great pride in being so old that I don't care what my property will be worth because my next house will be a pine box.
Are they?

I thought they were originally created so that the residents could maintain the "common areas" that they owned equally. That and pay for related basic services. Of course, that was back in the days when an HOA was for a new development, like a gated community.

... I'm not trying to give you a hard time. My point is that if the HOA's stuck to what they were supposed to do, which all to many have morphed into quasi-government fiefdoms run by petty tyrants, we wouldn't have most of the issues we have with them.

WØTKX
02-24-2016, 04:23 PM
http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-1LuHhBB_CzU/UHiv-OMet7I/AAAAAAAAJ78/2-cZQuvIRa0/s1600/Bird+Feeder.gif

XE1/N5AL
02-25-2016, 04:15 AM
http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-1LuHhBB_CzU/UHiv-OMet7I/AAAAAAAAJ78/2-cZQuvIRa0/s1600/Bird+Feeder.gif
We have a turkey vulture that passes over the house about every 15 minutes during the day. He flies really low, sometimes at the level of the upstairs windows. This vulture has been doing it for a couple of years now.

In the late afternoons, the vultures sometimes flock together. One day I estimate that around 200 turkey vultures were flying over the houses across the street from us. It's amazing how they glide through the air, on wind currents, without much effort.

KC2UGV
02-25-2016, 08:28 AM
Are they?

I thought they were originally created so that the residents could maintain the "common areas" that they owned equally. That and pay for related basic services. Of course, that was back in the days when an HOA was for a new development, like a gated community.

... I'm not trying to give you a hard time. My point is that if the HOA's stuck to what they were supposed to do, which all to many have morphed into quasi-government fiefdoms run by petty tyrants, we wouldn't have most of the issues we have with them.

Yes, they are. Sorta. They're in place to secure property values for your neighbor, and your neighbors in turn agree to restrictions to protect your property values.

If people stopped privatizing their governments with HOAs, and refused to buy them, we wouldn't have any of these problems people whine about getting themselves into. They wanted small government, and they got small government. They wanted to privatize their government. They got a privatized government.

KK4AMI
02-25-2016, 08:37 AM
Yes, they are. Sorta. They're in place to secure property values for your neighbor, and your neighbors in turn agree to restrictions to protect your property values.

If people stopped privatizing their governments with HOAs, and refused to buy them, we wouldn't have any of these problems people whine about getting themselves into. They wanted small government, and they got small government. They wanted to privatize their government. They got a privatized government.

You are talking like "all people hate HOAs". A lot of people love the concept of the HOA, thus they will continue to exist. My sister loves hers in Geneva, Florida because the neighborhood is designed for horse owners. Incidentally, the properties are all 5 acres and wooded. That allows for nice amateur radio antennas. However, choose to live in a condo HOA and you are just an idiot for trying to put up an antenna.

N8YX
02-25-2016, 08:46 AM
Eventually I'll move to the far unlit unknown and take my chances.

Until then, the HOA power-trippers can get stuffed. Corey nailed it solidly.

KC2UGV
02-25-2016, 09:18 PM
You are talking like "all people hate HOAs". A lot of people love the concept of the HOA, thus they will continue to exist. My sister loves hers in Geneva, Florida because the neighborhood is designed for horse owners. Incidentally, the properties are all 5 acres and wooded. That allows for nice amateur radio antennas. However, choose to live in a condo HOA and you are just an idiot for trying to put up an antenna.

No, I don't think all people hate HOA's. If all people did, there would be no market for them.

However, if you buy a home with an HOA, you obviously like HOAs. Whining about getting exactly what you asked for just makes the person childish.

KK4AMI
02-26-2016, 01:59 PM
No, I don't think all people hate HOA's. If all people did, there would be no market for them.

However, if you buy a home with an HOA, you obviously like HOAs. Whining about getting exactly what you asked for just makes the person childish.

Oh,OK. I misunderstood you. Well, I plan to set the cemetery on it's ear. When I become an SK, my will says I want a 102 inch whip on my headstone.

KG4CGC
02-26-2016, 08:28 PM
Oh,OK. I misunderstood you. Well, I plan to set the cemetery on it's ear. When I become an SK, my will says I want a 102 inch whip on my headstone.

UTs are standing by.

kb2vxa
02-28-2016, 02:23 PM
Breaker breaker, gotcha ears on good buddy, cumawn?