PDA

View Full Version : Creepy

W3WN
02-07-2016, 01:29 PM
So I have a few minutes this afternoon before we have to go out and run some errands. 10-10 contest is going on, and I need a few states for 10 M WAS, so what the heck.

Exchange is name, state, and 10-10 number. Easy enough, although I do have to pull the cert out to see what my number is.

Third station I work, a '6' in Arizona, informs me I have the wrong number. Seems that the gentleman who originally had this call, who has been a Silent Key for around 25 years mind you, had a 4 digit 10-10 number.

He then informs me my name and state are wrong... until it dawns on him that maybe I'm not the dead guy.

But, how creepy is it, to be informed that you must be a dead guy? ( No disrespect intended toward the original W3WN, by the way ) And get an argument about it from someone?

[ I kinda lost interest in the band for the day after that exchange. Working EA8TL on 12 meter CW is a lot more fun, and a lot less dreck. ]

K7SGJ
02-07-2016, 02:40 PM
It could have been worse. You could have been the SK.

WX7P
02-07-2016, 04:07 PM
That's ok, Ron. I get it.

When I went to the Spokane Ham Meet a few months ago, I saw a sign at the ARRL desk that said:

"WX7P Memorial Scholarship Fund".

I politely informed the guy behind the desk that I was the ORIGINAL WX7P, and I wasn't dead yet...

That got them spinning a bit...

KJ3N
02-07-2016, 04:24 PM

When I went to the Spokane Ham Meet a few months ago, I saw a sign at the ARRL desk that said:

I politely informed the guy behind the desk that I was the ORIGINAL WX7P, and I wasn't dead yet...

Only a bit?

https://leduc998.files.wordpress.com/2011/09/rofl.gif https://leduc998.files.wordpress.com/2011/09/rofl.gif

W3WN
02-07-2016, 05:05 PM

How much did you clear? After all, the fund was for you, right?

KØWVM
02-08-2016, 03:32 PM

What they're thinking

Awkward...

XE1/N5AL
02-08-2016, 04:52 PM
You're lucky that the ARRL guy didn't club you over the head with a Wouff Hong. :)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dGFXGwHsD_A

VE7DCW
02-08-2016, 07:13 PM
To be confused for a dead guy...... better than the Walking dead! I'm sure Eddie would know more about it (j/k Eddie) :mrgreen:

kb2vxa
02-09-2016, 08:16 AM
The Mythbusters in a fan episode proved the chainsaw is the most effective zombie killer with a 100% score, but I digress. It's not bad being an SK really, but hearing Roger's voice from the grave when using Winpack for the last vestiges of dying packet can be creepy. Hams operate in the sunlit world of what they believe to be reality. But... there is, unseen by most, an underworld of Amateur Radio, a band that is just as real, but not as brightly lit... a darkside.